26 inch tire recommendations?

ebike11

1 MW
Hi guys
Looking for road tires, dont do too much offroading, for my mtb. My rims are stock and fit up to 2.0 tires but Id like to widen things a bit more and go up to 2.5inch for stability at high speeds.
Was looking at maxxis hookworms. Anything else that you can recommend and not hurt the wallet?
Thanks!

https://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=82145&p=1209366&hilit=Best+Tire#p1206515

Schwalbe Marathon Plus
Schwalbe Big Apple Plus
Schwalbe Marathon Supreme
Panaracer RiBMo
Schwalbe Plus anything, Continental Plus anything, Specialized Armadillo or Flak Jacket anything
^quote^ Unsure either their bad or good
Schwalbe Crazy Bob
Big Apple Plus
Panaracer Tourguard Plus
CST Cyclops
Continental Country Plus
Freedom Thick Slick Deluxe

For stock bicycle sized tires, perhaps the best value in a flat resistant tire are the Forte Gothams;
http://www.performancebike.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/Product_10052_10551_1168305_-1___
They are a quality copy of the Schwalbe Marathon Plus tire. I have used both and really can't discern any difference.
Like all these flat resistant tires, the extra depth of thread can make them feel squirmy, especially if used with Forte's extra thick tubes, but it's worth it because flats on an hub motored Ebike is a PITA.
It's recommended to run high pressures(around 50 psi)to maximise their flat resisence, but it also adds a bit more stability.
They also make a 26 X 1.95, not shown on this link, one just needs to look around.

ebike11 said:
Hi guys
Looking for road tires, dont do too much offroading, for my mtb. My rims are stock and fit up to 2.0 tires but Id like to widen things a bit more and go up to 2.5inch for stability at high speeds.
Was looking at maxxis hookworms. Anything else that you can recommend and not hurt the wallet?
Thanks!
To mount 2.5 tires the correct way, you will need to lace up wider rims.
If your cruising speed are higher than 25 mph, it would be worth the effort. If not, I would stay w/ the 2 inch tires.

Budget Tire Bargains

CST Corporal sounds like what you would want - Absolute bargain at the price!

Bontrager H2 Hardcase Ultimate Tire (26-Inch)

I get about a years use out of mine. That's about 3000 miles, give or take. Minimal flats. Street usage only.

:D

Schwalbe Marathon Plus in 26"x2.0". Best street tires I've used yet and NO flats or puncture problems.

I think schwalbe big ben's are nice as well. I am running one of those in the front of my cargobike (the 2.15" version).
I wanna recall they come on 2.15 and 2.35" widths. I wanted something more "baloony" than the marathon plus.
Did run one 2.35" in the rear as well until I changed to moped rim.
Would go back to the Big ben rear(or similar) if I laced up my leaf motor again, over a moped tyre.

Pure efficiency and sound reasons.
For some more knobs, I have good experiences with the maxxis holy roller.

motomech said:
For stock bicycle sized tires, perhaps the best value in a flat resistant tire are the Forte Gothams;
http://www.performancebike.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/Product_10052_10551_1168305_-1___
They are a quality copy of the Schwalbe Marathon Plus tire.

They're actually a rebranded version of the Panaracer Crosstown. They're very tough tires that ride nicely, but not nearly as thick as Marathon Plus. I personally prefer the feel of Crosstown/Gotham over Marathon Plus, but in terms of their built-in protection, they're closer to Schwalbe Marathon (not Plus).

It looks to me like Panaracer has displaced the Crosstown with their Tourguard and RiBMo models.

Used downhill tyres as people consume the knobs really fast and remains a fresh housing of a dual ply tyre that will be ok on your ebike.

Back