Retirement Time

The agents try to create bidding wars to drive the price up. We just compare recent sales data for comparable properties and bid accordingly, then refuse to join the upseller parade from there on out. It's a racket, who knows what the other "bids" really are. All the agents know one another, have a favorite lender, mover, ecsrow company, and will sell you anything you need for an extra charge. :evil:

The fingers said:
The agents try to create bidding wars to drive the price up. We just compare recent sales data for comparable properties and bid accordingly, then refuse to join the upseller parade from there on out. It's a racket, who knows what the other "bids" really are. All the agents know one another, have a favorite lender, mover, ecsrow company, and will sell you anything you need for an extra charge. :evil:
Same here, but it's a sellers market.

First day at the new retirement job today. Was hot, but not near as hot as yesterday's record heat.
Hat a flat tire and barely made it to a Shell station. Was glad they had free air.
My feet really hurt tonight, also working tomorrow and the next day, then have the rest of the week off to tend to the home loan specifics.
Even 70 miles from where I used to work, I saw two people I knew. :lol:

Escrow closing now, getting the keys tonight or tomorrow. :D
Looks like I'll keep working only 3 days a week, so not too bad. After ditching the cane, already lost some weight and legs are getting stronger. Now have to relocate all our stuff.

Chomper and Oliver really like their new backyard, and will be sharing it with a few resident lizards. Street is very quiet (cul-de-sac). Our former neighbors sent photos of a truck which just crashed through the block wall in front of our old house and probably would have totalled one of our parked cars out front were we still living there. :shock:

Ordered bed and yard tools. Got 90% of the stuff moved. Movers were great but a couple of things broke. Boxes everywhere. Ashes from Canyon Fire 2 got into one of the storage units through the vents and idiots with leaf blowers made it worse. Just a little more paint touch up by the piano and in a couple of the bedrooms along with finishing up the master bedroom closet.
Dining set, patio furniture, bicycles and some miscellaneous stuff leftover for another load. :|

Mowed a lawn yesterday for the first time in 10 years, looks pretty good for an old guy. Brand new electric mower helped. :oops:
Got all the stuff out from the last storage units before another month of rent was due.
Took a 30 minute drive to Mountain Center for breakfast this AM, then spent an hour or so in mile-high Idyllwild looking for an antique lampshade to replace one that got destroyed during the move. Beautiful day for a trip in the nearby mountains.

Mowed the lawn again. Raked leaves until blue in the face. I'm working as hard as ever, but enjoying it more. Sure beats the old three jobs, 60+ hours per week, freeway traffic grind. Miss my old bike commuting route and routine, dangerous as it was.

Make a compost bin for the leaves. I just made a nice big compost bin. Got 5 or 6 nice heavy oak pallets. Each pallet about 30 x 30 inches. Tied them together to make a 5 or 6 sided shape. Used big wire ties to tie pallets together. Nice looking oak compost bin. Will take pictures.

More compost ideas here here

Ordered a leaf blower/vac which is supposed to pulverize and bag the stuff it sucks in. We'll see how that goes. Had to order another container for recycled materials as they only pick it up every other time. We recycle lots of stuff, they charge us to haul it away; then they make money off of it when it gets separated further down the line. Quite the tidy little refuse racket. :mrgreen:
The good news is our tree is mostly done dropping leaves. The neighbor's huge trees are just getting started though, and with the high winds the leaves fall as fast as you can pick them up. The tree will have to be trimmed next. :evil:

I have a leaf vac, but it was a pain to use. OK for a small area. The bag doesn't hold much and it's such a pain to drag the power cord around. It had a tendency to suck up little rocks, sticks, etc. that damaged the impeller. What I do now is use it as a blower and blow all the leaves into a big pile on the grass, then run over it with the lawn mower, which pulverizes them nicely and has a much larger, easier to empty bag.

Tried the leaf vac, saves a little bending and stooping. Worked good on the pavement and the gravel areas, not so much in the redwood bark flower beds. I'll probably use it as a blower there. Cut the watering back to 1 day per week. Colder nights make the grass go dormant. Was 78° F today with 70 mile visibility and mountain views were beautiful, but as soon as the sun sets it cools rather quickly getting down into the 40s at night. Winds have subsided finally but likely to return before the rain does.

Back