Marin San Rafael Euro frame-up TSDZ2 powered build

Since the build is well on its way and I'm getting closer to a completed project, now maybe is a good time for the "paperwork" side of things.

Frame specifics

Fork: 1 1/8” straight
Headtube length: 4 5/16” (110mm)
Headset: 1 1/8” straight, headtube inner diameter 33.9mm
Seatpost: 27.2mm
Dropout spacing: 10mm QR X 135mm
Brakes (rear): V style (or caliper type)
Front derailleur (seat post OD): 31.8mm, bottom pull
Bottom Bracket: 68mm, English thread (BSA)
Material: 6061 aluminum
Weight, bare: seller gave a weight of 1900g (about 4 lbs) but I doubt it's that heavy!
Theoretical headtube length, c to c: 21mm (given by sticker put on frame my Marin Bikes)
Accessory mounts: All M5 X 0.8 thread. Includes two per rear drop out, one per front drop out, one each side on the outside face of the seat stays between seat tube and caliper mount.
Caliper / rear accessory mount between seat stays: M5 X 0.8 thread

Minimum required steerer length: 110 (head tube length) + 30 (headset stack) + 39 (stem mount) = 179mm

Fittings

• Front Fork: “Suspension fork”, Spinner InSync Odesa 168 700c w 80mm coil, in silver NOTE: This fork can accept either “V” cantilever brakes OR disk brakes. Steerer tube length: 180mm
• Wheels: Wheel Master 700C Sun CR17 SL 36h. These are double-wall with eyelets and made in the USA. 18mm gap for tires.
o Rear: Shimano M430 freehub, 135mm wide with black QR
o Front: Shimano hub / axle, 100mm wide, with black QR. Original front axle says “HS (maybe HB) T4000 MALAYSIA VIA”
• Brakes: V style Origin8 F & R Brakeset Sport Complete with cables, levers, etc. Silver
• Shimano:
o Rear derailleur: Shimano Tourney SIS RD-TY22 SS, 7 speed
o Front derailleur: Shimano SLX FD-M671 3 speed direct mount dual pull front, braze-on type.
o Indexed shifting with a “rocker switch” type selection, Shimano model SL-A050 2/3 X 7 speed with 25.4mm clamp.
o cable anchors / hardware: Stainless Steel brake cable and housing set, black, and
o rear axle / freehub: Nexave FH-T300 Silent Clutch 130mm 36H 7-Speed, silver, with quick-release
o 7-Speed Bicycle Cassette, Acera CS-HG41-7 11-28T “Road / MTB” Hyperglide
o chain: CH-HG71 6/7/8
• Chainring (extra): 52T, steel, 5 X 110 BCD from Recycle Bicycle Parts
• Headset: FSA “The Pig” 1 1/8 headset with ¼” lower (crown) bearings, in silver. Stack height 30mm
• Stem: Adjustable aluminum forgings, 39mm height. Obtained from Trail Way.
• Tires / Tubes: Rubena V99 City Hopper 700C / 29 inch X 2.0 inch with wire bead in gray, Innova inner tubes in 700 x 35 / 43 c, shrader valve 38mm
• Fenders: Sunlite, 45mm wide Full road / hybrid, black with stainless steel stays for 700C wheel
• Pedals: Marwi platform pedals, 9/16” shafts, in gray
• Handlebar (and Stem): Salvaged from Schwinn Trail Way

Electrification

Tongsheng TSDZ2 48v, 18a, “750w”, torque sensing Pedal Assist System with VLCD5 accessory throttle, cut-out brake levers and front and rear lamp power system

13S4P battery from EM3ev, their "Predator" model rated at 12.4Ah (580Wh), 3.9kg (8.58 lbs)
Case: Reention Tigershark DS 5

Today I mostly worked on cables and chain-related tasks. (There isn't much else left to do!)

I still have to sort out the front derailleur, but for that I need the "braze-on" mounting ring for it. But the cable is routed to the general area.

And, I still have to complete the brakes. I've been debating which shoes to run - will probably grab the Kool Stops off the Legran, but haven't done it yet. But I have time to decide because ONE cantilever arm is missing - a miss-ship. The vendor said maybe today but it didn't come. -shrug-

Oh, and there's still the tasks of truing the wheels, making the rear fender mounts, fabricating the mount that will take the battery mount (!!), fabricating the rear rack / trailer hitch, and sorting out the lighting and reflectors...

So, it's not over by any means, might well take more than a week. BUT IT'S RIDE-ABLE NOW, if you're willing to ride without brakes, that is! :lol:

Here it is as of the end of the day today:

SanRafael_rideable_1_2.jpg

I'm not sure if you already mentioned it, since I was skimming the thread, you might have, but why did you go with V brakes instead of discs?

E-geezer said:
I'm not sure if you already mentioned it, since I was skimming the thread, you might have, but why did you go with V brakes instead of discs?

The frame won't take it, but the fork will. But doing the brakes all new in cantilever was less than $40 for both, and the cost for the front in disk is "not cheap" - let's not forget the wheel! As I describe above, I will "upgrade" to disk when the $$ is there to support it.

Rear Rack

So... I mocked-up the installation of the battery on the seat tube as was on the Legran (see image earlier in this thread), but found that it's so damned big, it impeded considerably the step-through space that I'm so in need of. So, I decided to mount it on the rear rack I was going to make anyway. This is happening a bit ahead of schedule and it turns out I'm running short of square tubing stock, but I had enough to get a good start on things.

My design is very simple: use all 6 (M5 X 0.8 ) rear accessory mounting points to support a horizontal rectangular rack just above the installed fender height with four verticals and two diagonals at the rear, where the 1/2" square tubing rectangle is exactly as wide as the rear fork plus the verticals and roughly exactly as long as the tire is round, executed in steel. The middle two supports are the main load carrying pair, are also 1/2" square tubing, and are about as exactly vertical as practical to achieve. The front pair of mounts are 1/2" X 1/8" flat bar stock, bent outward and twisted to the perpendicular axis to weld to the rectangle's front end just inboard of the open holes of the two runners.

Here we see all of that, except the rear two supports, tack-welded together (done late last night). First, the whole bike, so you can get a sense of proportion:

SanRafael_w_rear_rack_LR_quarter_1_2.jpg

Now, a profile shot. The rectangle comes about 3/4" from the seat stem, though in these photos it looks like it could even be touching! The idea was to come as close on the front end as reasonable, which had the additional advantage of being just about exactly above the front accessory mount points, and to extend to pretty much exactly the end of the rear tire so that the bike could be flipped on its end and be supported that way as a method of storage, perhaps, or as a means of access for service. (I learned that this works well on my Legran.)

SanRafael_rear_rack_left_profile_1_2.jpg

Now, for a different perspective, we also get to see here the grounding clamp for the welder - and, by the way, the red cabinet is the cart for the welding machine! ...Here, you can see that it's tacked together and not fully welded yet. You can also see that the M5 mounting screw at the bottom is WAY too long! Just going with what I had on hand at that moment!

SanRafael_rear_rack_closeup_1_2.jpg

The front mounts deserve a little more discussion. The anchor points on the frame were NOT on the horizontal but are rotated a few degrees so that the outside end is somewhere around 5 to 7 degrees or so off the horizontal. This was enough to create some question as to how the attachment would be made. I seriously considered a lot of possibilities including such things as using a small piece of flat bar stock welded to an intermediate piece run between the two mounts that was then connected to the rectangle. Or, perhaps, using square stock that met the rectangle at an angle inboard. Or... But in the end I decided that sufficiently thick flat bar stock bent and twisted, welded far outboard, would likely be the simplest and lightest, and likely quite sufficiently strong. Lets recall that one method of making a strong metalic structure is to introduce bends, curves, twists, and having two opposed in the same structure would mean that BOTH would have to distort for there to be any damage... Here's something of a closeup of my implementation:

SanRafael_rear_rack_front_mounts_closeup_1_2.jpg

The rear pair of supports ... I envisioned as also 1/2" square tubing, but it turns out I only have enough on hand to execute one of the two, so I was considering substituting 1/2" angle-iron instead. The angle iron is of heavier thickness than the square tubing and is likely plenty strong, but would introduce a design challenge for further plans. With the Legran, I added an old-fashioned style kickstand which I really like. If I am to replicate the mounting on this bike, I'll need to follow the same basic approach used on the Legran, and having the rear rack support NOT be square tubing will present issues. So, I decided to sleep on it for the night - it was late anyway! :lol:

Today I finished off the rear rack - at least, for the time being.

The first thing I did was follow through on my decision about the lack of enough 1/2" square tubing stock: I implemented the left rear support - the diagonal - using the last long piece of the 1/2" square tubing and I implemented its right hand counterpart using some angle-iron. I think it's curious that in these images you can hardly tell the difference! And, in person, too! (One of these days I'll get some more 1/2" stock and replace it, but this will do for now.) ...While welding on these two diagonals, I took the opportunity to improve the welds from just "tack" to really get the metal attached properly, so the rack could be removed without concern.

Following this, I lopped the ears off the front verticals (which you can see in images from yesterday), so I could position the battery and determine where I wanted it. I decided to orient it on the left side - to somewhat counterbalance all the weight on the right side - overhanging the rack a bit on the front and encroaching on the rider's left leg space some. I did this because I want to mount a wire milk-crate to the rack behind that and prefer that it not overhang the back of the bike, and it didn't hurt that I also want the weight as far forward as possible. ... There's SOME clearance between the crate and the battery, installed. I'm pretty sure the battery will NOT come into contact with the rider's left leg, and that there will be room to remove the battery even with the milk-crate mounted. And, the battery's charging and on/off switch will be on the left, which is to me a bit more natural than when it was on the right as it usually would be if mounted on the seat tube. ... Use of the USB charger while riding may or may not be a great idea - will have to find out!

To accommodate these choices, I decided that I'd add a 1/2" square stock cross-bar just at the spot where it is needed to attach the crate as was done on the Legran, and then I'd run a bit of flat bar stock from the front of the rectangle to the new cross bar to use to mount the battery. Holes drilled there, with nuts welded to the bottom, would do the trick.

So, decisions made, I first cut and installed the new 1/2" square stock cross bar, then got some bar stock and welded in the battery anchor bar. This done, all the major components were now attached, so time to dismount the rack and weld it all up. . . I went around the whole thing, making deeply penetrating welds everywhere.

While the rack was cooling, I sourced three M5 screws and nuts to attach the battery's bracket to the rack. By then it was cool enough so I positioned the battery mounting bracket, marked the mount points, drilled holes, threaded screws into place snugly with nuts, then welded the nuts to the flat bar.

OK, that was it; now time to grind all the welds smooth, use an angle-grinder mounted wire brush and clean up all the metal, then paint the rack... So, I mounted the rack on a painters small-part-painting rack, and gave it a coat:

SanRafael_rear_rack_on_drying_rack_upside_down_1_2.jpg

Along the way, I sprayed paint INSIDE the square tubing - and ended up with a handful of paint when one of the tubes dumped it on me! :lol:

Eventually, time to flip it over and give it a second coat:

SanRafael_rear_rack_on_drying_rack_lower_lft_1_2.jpg

This next image really shows the bends in the front verticals pretty well, and you can see the hole I pre-drilled to make mounting the milk-crate easy.

SanRafael_rear_rack_on_drying_rack_lower_fnt_rt_1_2.jpg

...It should be rideable tomorrow! But I do still have a few tasks to perform!

BTW, where has everyone gone? It's crickets! The view count has gone way up but the replies have evaporated! ... I figured someone would chime in on something or other since I started earnest assembly... Maybe you're all just awestruck, right?! :lol: 8)

...Can't ride it in my present condition (bad knee) without the battery, so got that mounted, following the plan articulated yesterday. Along the way, I added a kickstand, lengthened it some, and mounted the necessary milk crate so I can run my errands...

Here we see the battery mounted, and no, the rider's leg does NOT touch the battery when riding! :D

SanRafael_w_batt_wo_crate_1_2.jpg

And, a close-up of the battery installation:

SanRafael_battery_installation_1_2.jpg

Then, mount the crate:

View attachment 1

And finally, dismount the battery to show it can easily be done with the crate still in place:

SanRafael_w_crate_wo_batt_1_2.jpg

Ta Da! 8)

Comments, anyone?

I'll be taking better photos without all the clutter in the background sometime soon...

In case you didn't see it on the main TSDZ2 thread, this bike is FAST! 8)

Note my average speed!

file.php

And no, I didn't lie to it about wheel diameter (29") or number of magnets (1), but I DID turn off the speed limit "feature!" :lol:

Yesterday was the first true "excursion day" where I felt up to it and the bike was up to it and I went on a real cruise!

Here, first, is the new trailer hitch, installed. This is the same design as the one I made for the Legran but it's got M5 holes instead of M6 due to this frame's smaller accessory fasteners. (I left the one on the Legran, of course!)

SanRafael_trailer_hitch_side_view_1_2.jpg

Note in this image the TWO "speed sensors" - this was because, so far, the work-around for the bug in the speed / distance recognition system was to simply borrow the older sensor from the Legran. (Hope to have the newer one with headlamp / tail lamp power up and working soon!)

Meanwhile, it was time to load up and head out for running errands...

First front view:

SanRafael_w_trailer_front_view_1_2.jpg

And now, in this rear shot, you can see my crutches mounted to the rack! YES, I'm still all banged up - I knew I'd be MONTHS in recovery, which is why I went to the trouble to build the San Rafael in the first place! ...My design for stowing the crutches is simple and effective: two wire coat hangers with snipped cross-bar, woven through the milk crate's wires, extending outward at the top row. This gives two nearly vertical wire ends hanging each crutch - just set the crutch down with the wires between and just below the hand-grip, and they're supported by the hand grip at a suitable height and spaced-out distance, both behind the rider's pedal circle and outboard of the gearing. A simple rubber cord around the outside retains them! Simple, light weight, effective! Best of all, I can hang them up and retain them, or get them down, from the riding position!

SanRafael_w_trailer_rear_view_1_2.jpg

Later, I decided I was well enough to go out to a party but on the way, came to a narrow spot. ... I usually slip through this with the Legran - first time with the San Rafael, and the frocking handlebars are too wide, and I didn't realize it. One of the handlebars clipped the vertical "stay" for the telephone pole and I collided with the fence in a nasty way, sprawled out all over the STREET (kind of bounced off the fence across the sidewalk and into the road).

SanRafael_after_accident_1_2.jpg

I literally lay on the ground an unknown amount of time - I'm guessing nearly 10 minutes but it felt like an hour. While laying on the ground I used my phone to call for help. But help was hard to get since the person I called had himself broken his leg, and couldn't help but wanted to give me phone numbers and I had to explain that it wasn't possible for me to record them, and in too much pain to just remember it. Eventually, two passers by stopped - a lovely woman and a young guy (in different vehicles), and they together helped me to my feet and put my crutches under my arm pits! That's when I took the photo... The one guy was in a huge SUV type thing and I asked if he could put the bike in there and get me home, but he declined saying that they were hard to see, but there were 9 people in the SUV! And meanwhile, the girl had left. ... I SHOULD have asked him to help launch me on the bike, hanging the crutches for me, but didn't think of it until after he left.

I then stood there for about another 5 to 10 minutes, but again, it felt like a half hour or more, until another passers by - this time a guy on a heavily laiden cargo bike - managed to help me get mounted on my bike and stow the crutches. I then used the throttle to get home! KNEW THAT WAS A KEY FEATURE! ... It got me up over 20 MPH in eco mode with nothing but the throttle! I didn't stare at the display but I saw 21 mph a few times and I believe it. It didn't seem to matter which mode I chose; on level ground, and given the gearing I had chosen, it did what it was going to do, only the time to reach top speed may have differed. And given the poor lighting and so forth, I didn't want to go top speed anyway.

The bike seemed to handle the bumps easily, but there was one spot where my leg was in so much pain, somewhat brought on by bumps shaking the lower leg, I was screaming as I rode. Some "homeless" people hanging out around a cluster of campers noticed and looked up at the spectacle that was me, and I heard a female voice say, "oh, look at his leg he's got dangling out there!" Must have been a strange sight with a guy whizzing by at 20 mph on a bike with one leg dangling off to the left! :lol: (gotta try to laugh!)

Eventually I got home and made the mistake of stopping to close the outer gate ( on a garage door opener) and then, gate closed behind me, I couldn't quite get started again. ... Another 5 or so minutes or so and my landlord came by and helped me walk the bike into my gate while I just used the crutches to get inside. Later I checked the security cameras: my total excursion, about 6 miles round trip plus the fall and various delays took just about exactly 33 minutes.

And I got ZERO sleep last night, I was in so much pain... And, it's a holiday, so no medical anything for me until at least Tuesday. -ugh-

That's the point at which I'd be getting a "trike kit" to bolt to the back of the bike, at least until I healed up. ;)

(this is how Delta Tripper started out, which metamorphosed into SB Cruiser)

https://www.google.com/search?q=trike+kit+for+bicycle&num=100&newwindow=1&source=univ&tbm=shop&tbo=u&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwj9xfGy8YnWAhVRx2MKHXdHCMoQsxgIKQ&biw=1100&bih=918

Can't really ride 'em faster than 10-15mph at best, or you'll flip on any little jog/turn, but at least you can leverage yourself up onto the seat and just throttle around, no balancing/etc to get going.

Also negates needing to use the trailer to haul the small stuff around, at least, though you can still use the trailer on it if you like.

EDIT:
Since you have a shop you could also even use the trailer itself as the "trike kit". Because you have a middrive it's a lot of work, and would be way easier just buying one. ;) If you used a front hubmotor it'd be real easy, cuz you would only need to do the very first step below.

Take the rear wheel off the bike and U-bolt the chainstays and dropouts to the trailer frame and/or deck. Leave an unlaced rear hub in the dropouts with the cassette or freewheel on it, and the chain from the pedals goes to that. Bolt an output sprocket (no freewheel) to the left hub flange. Only has to be large enough to let the chain clear the hub. (18T or so, most likely).

Then make a transfer axle on the trailer that uses the same size sprocket on it's inptu (right) end, and a short chain between it and the hub's output sprocket.

The next step depends on how the wheel mounts on the trailer; if it's a double-ended axle and a 20" wheel, put a BMX rear wheel on there. if it's a single-ended axle you'd have to put a support frame on the outside to use that BMX wheel; might be easier to use the regular wheel and bolt a sprocket to the spokes.

Then use an output sprocket on the transfer axle of the right tooth count to give you the gearing for torque/speed you're after on the smaller wheel size.

Regarding crutch holders, it sounds like a neat way to hold them, but i guess I can't really see it in the pics.

I use this for my cane holder on the trike, with a rag ziptied around the cane as a "cork" to hold it in.
https://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=67833&p=1266555#p1266555
file.php

file.php

Used to be vertical but it got in the way more there:
https://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=67833&p=1067588#p1067588
file.php

On the bike it's slung sword-style across the seatback:
file.php

Jeez dude, you are takng a beating!
Get well!

Damn! I want that frame!, nice nice!

EDIT, bummer 700c wheel size for rear brakes, damn. How disappointing. I just have to many 26" wheels to change...but damn...

ScooterMan101 said:
Tomjasz,

I think RTIII mentioned that the same company also has a 26 inch wheel version, name is different of course but style is the same.

THANKS!!! I now have a Marin Stinson EZ step 17" frame. Now I have an entire new learning curve. I've never built a bike from the frame up. I'll have to start my thread.

AGAIN! THANKS

RTIII said:
Just got an update from DHL: Their latest text message says that they're now delivering my new TSDZ2 not ONE day early, but TWO! :D 8)

...It was delivered AS I was typing all this! 8)
These guys are FAST and have a bunch of inexpensive frames from Marin! Very cool!

Took the Marin San Rafael out for some riding yesterday to run some errands. Got ANOTHER flat. This made the fourth flat since new only a week or two ago!

I think the tubes the seller of the tires sold me are too damned small for the tires. :evil:

No pinch flats. Two of the first three were on the rear. One was from a thin wire and I patched it, and then it went bad at a different spot with no known cause. And then the front went bad while the bike was upside down, not even riding - and it had been left that way for some days with no weight on it. Just went to flip the bike back over and found it was flat. Replaced the tube and when it was out looked for the cause and it was split along a manufacturing seam.

So, on my last two tubes, I went out and then got ANOTHER rear flat. Ugh. But, as luck would have it, I ran into a new / different bike shop (that Google didn't tell me about !!!) while WALKING to a different bike shop! I went in and it was this Ma and Pa store, so sad to see it so empty on a Saturday afternoon! But they had a very fairly priced replacement tube in THE RIGHT SIZE, and I also bought an over-priced pair of tire liners that are supposed to help you avoid getting a flat in the first place. I changed the tire myself and was so slow at it the old guy just decided to take it on and do it for me! :D Of course, I bought a spare tube of the right size for when the one last remaining original set of innertubes blows!

While out, I needed the damned crutches, and since someone asked, when I got in I took photos of the crutch mounting to the milk crate. Here are two images:

Crutches_mounting_1_2.jpg

The strategy is simple enough: Two wire coat-hangars, one per crutch, with the long "bottom" cut out, then woven into the wire milk crate. Using the hook keeps them "up", or they can be lowered to reduce risk of a poking injury when the crutches aren't mounted!

Crutches_mounting_closeup_1_2.jpg

BTW, the trailer is working out just fine! :)

Later I went out to a party and on the way I lost a pin in the chain and the chain came off! Thanks to the TSDZ2 odometer, I know that I had to walk an additional 0.6 miles - about 1km - to get to the party location, which, by luck, just happened to be a bike shop! 8) Seriously! So, first thing, a guy there and I got cracking on fixing it. ... The guy, who works at this bike shop, wanted to shorten my chain by two links to get a pin to fix it with but I convinced him to dig out another chain and steal a pin from it instead! He did, and in a few minutes it was working again. Got home on it a few hours later! :D

Cripes sake, nuff trouble for a while, I hope! Brakes finally made the PO.

tomjasz said:
Cripes sake, nuff trouble for a while, I hope! Brakes finally made the PO.

Thanks, Tom.

Curiously, the pin that was lost was the very pin that I'd installed when I first installed the chain! The brand new chain came with two pins, and unfortunately, I lost one of them while trying to install it. It fell to the floor and was lost among the debris on the workshop floor as I haven't swept up since I injured my knee! I still have hopes of finding it with a magnet when I do sweep up, but what's strange to me is that the second pin, also new, came out!

The replacement pin was a used one and it's a good bit LONGER than the chain is wide! :shock: So far it's been working, though, without trouble!

Meanwhile the tracking on the disk brake parts says they arrived in Oakland last night at 7 minutes before midnight, and then arrived at the local post office about two hours ago. I expect they'll be out for delivery today! :D Only thing is, I'll be out running errands this morning! Hope they leave them in a safe spot! (Usually yes.)

RTIII said:
Curiously, the pin that was lost was the very pin that I'd installed when I first installed the chain! The brand new chain came with two pins, and unfortunately, I lost one of them while trying to install it. It fell to the floor and was lost among the debris on the workshop floor as I haven't swept up since I injured my knee! I still have hopes of finding it with a magnet when I do sweep up, but what's strange to me is that the second pin, also new, came out!

The replacement pin was a used one and it's a good bit LONGER than the chain is wide! :shock: So far it's been working, though, without trouble!

Meanwhile the tracking on the disk brake parts says they arrived in Oakland last night at 7 minutes before midnight, and then arrived at the local post office about two hours ago. I expect they'll be out for delivery today! :D Only thing is, I'll be out running errands this morning! Hope they leave them in a safe spot! (Usually yes.)

Damn spam account is grabbing messages from ES and I'm reading out of order...

I bought a couple large neodymium magnet and attached them to a 1m dowel. I find and pickup wayward parts daily with it. Sadly my 3D printer has HUNDREDS of stainless parts rendering that solution useless. AND FRUSTRATING.

My frame will go to paint next month (Ford 2017 Black unless I get lucky and some exotic black vehicle is in the shop for paint) and the LBS for cup fitment. I see you made a tool, but as you discovered, this is ALL news to me. I'm comfortable with most kits but have never started with a bare frame. The most. basic measurements, and obviously even nomenclature is lost on me....for now. I'll spend some time on it today.

Hoping you're hopping soon!

T

tomjasz said:
My frame will go to paint next month (Ford 2017 Black unless I get lucky and some exotic black vehicle is in the shop for paint) and the LBS for cup fitment. I see you made a tool, but as you discovered, this is ALL news to me. I'm comfortable with most kits but have never started with a bare frame. The most. basic measurements, and obviously even nomenclature is lost on me....for now. I'll spend some time on it today.

Hoping you're hopping soon!

T

Hi Tom, yes, hopping NOW! :? Was for a day walking without the damned crutches, then, yesterday, face-planted... Tripped over a garden hose and re-injured the knee. Yes, AGAIN! :evil: This has me pretty upset, of course!

But I'm delighted with the brakes! Already working out how to mount them! And, as for the paint, I rather liked the Martin's silver!

Also, here are some photos of getting the rear fender mounted up. Had to make anchors!

Because of the closeness of the seat stay cross bar to the tire, I had to cut the fender and make two mounting brackets to attach them to the cross bar. I made the brackets out of copper plated "plumber's tape" and protected the frame's paint with two bits of fiber board, one on either side. Mounted it all to the frame with an M5 X 30 X 0.8 machine screw... Here it is from the rear, looking down through the luggage rack.

SanRafael_fender_rear_anchor_top_rear_1_2.jpg

Here, from the right side:

SanRafael_fender_rear_anchor_top_right_1_2.jpg

The left anchors went inside the left drop-out:

SanRafael_fender_rear_anchors_left_1_2.jpg

The right anchors couldn't go on the inside of the dropout due to the gears, so I moved them up onto the rearmost luggage rack foot. I used an M6 cheese head screw to affix them, one on either side of the luggage foot:

SanRafael_fender_rear_anchors_right_1_2.jpg

Jeez... I'm beginning to think I have a real life Joe Btfsplk for an acquaintance!

I learned another new phrase this week. "non-suspension corrected rigid fork". Now to sort how to size, and hopefully find a version with the option for V Brake AND BB7! Yes the silver is a decent silver but I'm thinking of a black out look. I have some lighting ideas from Micah Toll and his eBike School pages. Using LED strips. http://www.ebikeschool.com/how-to-add-12v-lights-to-your-ebike-without-a-dc-dc-converter/ I'm thinking full time lighting would be good.

tomjasz said:
Jeez... I'm beginning to think I have a real life Joe Btfsplk for an acquaintance!

I learned another new phrase this week. "non-suspension corrected rigid fork". Now to sort how to size, and hopefully find a version with the option for V Brake AND BB7! Yes the silver is a decent silver but I'm thinking of a black out look. I have some lighting ideas from Micah Toll and his eBike School pages. Using LED strips. http://www.ebikeschool.com/how-to-add-12v-lights-to-your-ebike-without-a-dc-dc-converter/ I'm thinking full time lighting would be good.

:) I'm not sure if the Btfsplk reference is flattering or not, but I'll just presume it is! 8)

Thanks for the link. I'm planning to add lighting, too, but haven't got it all sorted out yet.

Meanwhile, here's the bike as it is now, along with a shot of the front left fender stay, which I just moved thanks to the new brake caliper mounting piece I recently got! :D

First, the bike:

SanRafael_left_1_2.jpg

Now, the front left fender stay - which I had to shorten, of course!

SanRafael_front_fender_support_at_brake_1_2.jpg

RTIII said:
:) I'm not sure if the Btfsplk reference is flattering or not, but I'll just presume it is!

Nice work! Neither flattering or demeaning, it just seems you have a black cloud following you around to trash your already beat up body. Hoping th3 sun shines through and you heal fall free for as long as it takes.

I like the color of your frame. I would not be painting were the silver as attractive. I’m liking the blackout look. I’m thinking of making mine a one speed. Before i sold mY last of 3 BBSHDs i found i never used the gears. I rode it like a scooter. Jumped on and pedal up to speed with my CA3 and sensor 15-18mph, or use the throttle and kick it up to 27mph in traffic.
The Mac wont be as fast but im not interested in more speed. Just reliable and comfortable.

I guess its time for my own thread, but its been fun following and exchanging on yours.

Let me know when you have more phone time. I have some questions...and some other parts you might like.

All the best,

T

tomjasz said:
RTIII said:
:) I'm not sure if the Btfsplk reference is flattering or not, but I'll just presume it is!

Nice work! Neither flattering or demeaning, it just seems you have a black cloud following you around to trash your already beat up body. Hoping th3 sun shines through and you heal fall free for as long as it takes.

I like the color of your frame. I would not be painting were the silver as attractive. I’m liking the blackout look. I’m thinking of making mine a one speed. Before i sold mY last of 3 BBSHDs i found i never used the gears. I rode it like a scooter. Jumped on and pedal up to speed with my CA3 and sensor 15-18mph, or use the throttle and kick it up to 27mph in traffic.
The Mac wont be as fast but im not interested in more speed. Just reliable and comfortable.

I guess its time for my own thread, but its been fun following and exchanging on yours.

Let me know when you have more phone time. I have some questions...and some other parts you might like.

All the best,

T

Thanks, Tom, do be sure to leave a bread-crumb to your new build page, whenever you create it! ... You can call me anytime and if I'm not free, I just won't answer! :)

Meanwhile, I've gotten in a little "scooter riding" myself on this bike. It won't break 21 MPH, but I'm getting 2.01 miles per amp hour, which, compared with Amberwolf's trike is pretty awesome efficiency - and that's without me pedaling much at all.

Yesterday I got some new wiring loom stuff from Eye to mount on the bike and a new kickstand and a front basket just like the one on the Legran. ... I like one up there to hold my "sports bottle" beverage, and anything I want to keep an eye on while riding.

Finally got the kickstand sorted - that stupid stick type that most US bikes have just wasn't cutting it... Now, here's a real kickstand:

I just made two flat bar mounts for the kickstand, one per side, drilled a few holes, applied a little paint and... YES, I welded in some short bits of M10 to simulate the rear axle... Meanwhile, the four attach points for the two mounts are accomplished with stainless steel M6 socket head machine screws - domed head type.

Side view:

SanRafael_kickstand_2_2.jpg

Rear view:

SanRafael_kickstand_1_2.jpg

I got some interesting feedback from a reseller who has 100 more TSDZ2 motors in route. He refuses to sell throttles, and sees no need for integrated brakes since the instant the rider stops pedaling the motor stops. He thinks the throttle is a mistake for this motor. I will be removing the brake/throttle controller and go back to, the untested by me, standard torque version. He also suggests avoiding the handgrip version display, and will not sell them. Interesting feedback.

Back