Rigol DS1054Z for diagnosing/monitoring ESC

monkey

1 µW
Hi,
I'm looking for an four channel oscilloscope for monitoring, diagnosing and playing around with ESCs. My bike uses a sensorless hub motor driven by a VESC. Especially interesting would be everything that might help setting up FOC mode properly (measuring phase current, FET inversions, etc). Would an unlocked Rigol DS1054Z be sufficient for this kind of applications?
The next better alternatives seems to be 200MHz scopes like Siglent SDS2104x or SDS2204x. But these cost two to three times as much and I'm not sure if they would be overkill. I've been googling a lot and also searched in this forum, but haven't found too much about it.
Thank you in advance

I've never used my 1054z for ESCs but I can vouch for it. I have an unlocked 1054z at home and an mso1104z at work and I have been very pleased with their performance so far.

I use a VESC driving a turnigy SK3 6374 on my bike and I've set it up with FOC, which was pretty straightforward. Are you having problems with FOC?

Hi, thank you for sharing your experience with the Rigol - it seems to be the best value-for-money scope.
Using Vedders BLDC-tool to set up FOC seems to be easy. But I haven't used it so far because of all the stories about blowing the DRV. Sensored FOC seems to increase the risk even more. But I will try as soon as I understand how FOC works and what all these parameters mean in BLDC-tool.
Best

Back