Kids EV Toy

burner1

10 W
So I like restoring building full sized cars. My electric buggy here in another thread. Next project has been lurking in my head for a grand child. I have a couple years to built it so I don't have to be in a big hurry. I have some metal work I wanted to practice and play with and this will be a nice little project.

First, a drawing and working out proportions:

Kids%20Buggy.jpg

Portions.jpg

I contemplated power source and settled with mobility scooter motors and drive off ebay:

Power.jpg

I am just sorting out the frame and a simple rear pivot suspension:

Frame4.jpeg

Frame5.jpg

Frame7.jpeg

I have gathered parts to make the rest of the suspension but momentary side tracked. I got plenty of time but looking forward to the project. Overall it will be a simple build.

I like it so far. :)

The way you've made the front frame tubes from plate gives me some ideas on how to do what I wanted with a newer version of SB Cruiser....

Looks good so far. :)

If you wanna keep the ride quieter, I recommend gluing dense rubber matting inside the fenders and under the cargo bed. It'll dampen the vibrations and echoiness of the metal. Floormats or thick old mousepads, etc., as long as it's dense so it does the damping.

You could attach them in a lot of ways but some form of adhesive would give the most contact with the metal for sound absorption/damping.

You could also use sprayfoam instead of foam mats/etc, but it's not as dense. (though it'll make it's own full contact with the metal, so it's easier to apply).

Thanks. We'll see how it does when it's done. The bed and fenders are surprisingly rigid. When painted I plan on a bed liner in the bed. Th fenders also have a 1/4" aluminum bar welded in the edge which helps stiffen them.

I don't expect or intend on this to go very fast. I have a few years until the intended child will be ready for this so as long as I make a little progress here and there I am comfortable with the time line. It gives me a chance to practice forming metal.

I think I am going to experiment with spinning some hubcaps.

Working on Bomber seat. I have rod and trim piece about to bead roll for the outside edge which will be riveted on. Seat is adjustable forward/back and in angle. Running boards are suported and could be stood on.

Bod10.jpg

I made more progress on the seat. It's really the hard part. I welded on a 1/4" aluminum round then bent a piece of trim around. It is a doubler which really makes the seat:

Seat.jpg

Seat2.jpg

Seat3.jpg

I never had stuff that cool when I was a kid. When the kid gets older, you can upgrade the motors. I think it could handle a lot more power.

I'm very impressed with your fab skills!!

Nice work!

This reminds me of the "Legends" racing series, which was invented to create a more affordable way to allow rookie drivers to gain "real world" racing skills at a more affordable level. There are four "only one seat" body styles (fiberglass?) and the motor is a common 4-cylinder. Similar to Kart racing, but sitting upright...

https://i.ytimg.com/vi/LZOlvajma6E/maxresdefault.jpg

1297723114711_ORIGINAL.jpg

Back