Q100H axle problem

IanM

100 W
I ordered some motors and other stuff from BMS Battery including a q100h rear hub motor and I discovered a problem with the q100h axle. The problem is with the axle flats not being aligned so that when one side is in the frame dropout the other side is about 45 degrees out and will not fit at all. I have sent a lot of emails to them to try and get the problem resolved but so far they are being less than helpful, it seems like they don't believe what I have shown them with photos and explaining. So my question is, can I fix this myself? If the axle is two pieces and not one solid piece then maybe it's an easy fix. If the axle is one solid piece then it's probably not I presume. Any advice would be appreciated.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    50.1 KB · Views: 1,178
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    64 KB · Views: 1,178
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    65.9 KB · Views: 1,178
The axle is two separate pieces. If you search there may be a Q128 teardown thread somewhere, but here's one for the Q100 CST which is probably pretty similar. You can see how the axle bolts on to the stator shell via a 6-bolt plate, so probably this was bolted on in the wrong orientation.

Yes, cyborg is correct, it was assembled incorrectly from the factory and, since the motor is new and the cover should not be on very tight, the fix is easy.
There are many threads here about removing the screw on cover, search using key words, Q100, cover, unscrew, etc.
In a nutshell, the quickest way to get it off is to remove the 3 screws, install a longer 6 mm bolt in one of the holes and strike it w/ a punch and hammer to loosen the cover. The flange for the axle half is right under the cover and it's simply a matter of removing the securing screws and rotating the flange one bolt hole.
But, to remove the Phillips head screws, you will need an inexpensive hand-held impact driver, as to not strip the threads. When reinstalling the screws, both flange and cover, use a semi-permenate thread locker.

Cyborg and motomech, thanks guys that's what I was hoping that it was just an assembly error. Makes me wonder how that motor passed the quality check, might be a Friday motor :lol:
I will open up the motor soon, hopefully this is the only problem with this motor :roll:

Those torque arms look like they cost more than the motor :lol:

Just to clarify a bit, the 3 screws in the cover thread into the clutch ASM which rotates w/ the motor(relative to the housing). So w/ the main housing secure, striking one bolt the direction to loosen(lefty loosey), should start the cover. After the cover is unscrewed, the 2-piece clutch lifts off to access the axle flange. Try to lift the 2 clutch pieces off together or note how it comes apart. It has 3 rollers held w/ tiny springs and if it septerates, you will have to fiddle w/ it a bit to get it back together. The springs have to be just right. Don't ask how I know :roll:
The cover can be a real bear on used motors. The reason is, when the free whl. is pedaled, the direction of force tightens it on the stub.

Leave at least one of the three screws in the side when you unscrew the side-plate. That will keep the clutch fixed to the side-plate, so less messing about. Those screws only hold the clutch to the side-plate, so you wouldn't normally need to remove them except that you need the holes to turn the plate.

motomech said:
Those torque arms look like they cost more than the motor :lol:
No just the BMS battery TAs for $15 a pair which look pretty decent although I wouldn't trust them on a high powered build.
I ordered 2 pairs and they were out of stock but it showed in stock on the website. They waited for them to come in before my order shipped but didn't inform me until I emailed them then they offered the option to send the other items and they would ship the TAs in my next order :shock:
In the end I just waited and eventually my order was shipped. Now I am having this email exchange with them and they are asking for clearer photos and replying with hard to understand messages wow what a pain in the rear :lol:
motomech said:
Just to clarify a bit, the 3 screws in the cover thread into the clutch ASM which rotates w/ the motor(relative to the housing). So w/ the main housing secure, striking one bolt the direction to loosen(lefty loosey), should start the cover. After the cover is unscrewed, the 2-piece clutch lifts off to access the axle flange. Try to lift the 2 clutch pieces off together or note how it comes apart. It has 3 rollers held w/ tiny springs and if it septerates, you will have to fiddle w/ it a bit to get it back together. The springs have to be just right. Don't ask how I know :roll:
The cover can be a real bear on used motors. The reason is, when the free whl. is pedaled, the direction of force tightens it on the stub.
d8veh said:
Leave at least one of the three screws in the side when you unscrew the side-plate. That will keep the clutch fixed to the side-plate, so less messing about. Those screws only hold the clutch to the side-plate, so you wouldn't normally need to remove them except that you need the holes to turn the plate.
Motomech and d8veh,
Thanks guys, I was wondering about the screws to leave in or not, I think for my needs I will leave 2 in and put a cap head bolt in the 3rd for loosening the cover.
I was waiting to see what BMS Battery would say to fix the issue but it seems like they are being evasive, so far it has taken a long string of emails to get them to even recognise the issue but still no offer of any kind of solution :roll:

If you warm up the hub with a hot air gun until it's just about too hot to touch, it'll come apart much easier.

d8veh said:
If you warm up the hub with a hot air gun until it's just about too hot to touch, it'll come apart much easier.
d8veh, tru dat, as soon as I did that it was easy to get the cover to unscrew and from there on the rest was easy to do. I ended up having to screw a piece of wood to the disc mount to fit my vice which was not big enough to hold the motor.
I have tested the motor now and it seems ok. Now to lace into a 24 inch rim to go into my wife's bike. I did order a pair of the dual hall pas sensors to use with this motor and the Q128H but they didn't send the magnet rings to go with them, maybe I had to order those seperately. I'm not impressed at all with the service from BMS Battery, I will try to avoid dealing with them in future.
Again thanks guys for the advice which made this job very easy.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    76.7 KB · Views: 1,087
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    65.1 KB · Views: 1,087
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    66 KB · Views: 1,087
Back