Farfles Electric Ultralight.

cwah said:
Woaaa

Will you be inside or remote controlled?

How long can u fly?

It is a piloted aircraft, so ill be flying it. As far as run time goes, I am hoping for an hour plus ~15 mins of margin.

I really wish all the pictures on this thread were attached to the thread. Now they're just ads for hosting service. :(

MrDude_1 said:
I really wish all the pictures on this thread were attached to the thread. Now they're just ads for hosting service. :(

frocking photobucket is holding about 11 billion images "hostage" by quietly changing their TOS overnight. Putting third party hosting behind a $400 a year paywall.
There is an ongoing class action lawsuit against them right now that I've donated to. I am waiting for a resolution on it before paying photobucket anything. Hopefully images will be up soon.

Personally, if I had any data hosted on a site that did something like that, I'd download and then remove the entire account and data. Or maybe leave one little bit that says something like "hey, if y'all are looking for my stuff, this provider did (whatever it did) and caused me to take my stuff elsewhere, over here (wherever it now is).

Then I'd directly attach all the images for stuff on this forum into the spots in threads the old PB links used to occupy. ;) That way it'd be saved locally, backed up when the forum is, and viewable by anyone that can access the forum itself.

amberwolf said:
Personally, if I had any data hosted on a site that did something like that, I'd download and then remove the entire account and data. Or maybe leave one little bit that says something like "hey, if y'all are looking for my stuff, this provider did (whatever it did) and caused me to take my stuff elsewhere, over here (wherever it now is).

Then I'd directly attach all the images for stuff on this forum into the spots in threads the old PB links used to occupy. ;) That way it'd be saved locally, backed up when the forum is, and viewable by anyone that can access the forum itself.

A friend of mine is showing me how to host photos myself. As far as locally, the only tricky part about downloading the images, is that I have exactly 12,397 images across a dozen or so forums. If each image takes me 90 seconds, thats almost a month and a half straight of 8 hour days to repair the damage. :evil: :evil:

I guess if you're lucky, the CAL will be decided in your (PB users') favor, and you'll get some reimbursement for your time. :/

I'd probably only be doing a few posts here and there as I had time, starting with most recent stuff and working my way back in time on whatever I considered important, and if I had that many to fix, I'd never get them all fixed. :(

FWIW, hosting things yourself still leaves the data on forums like this one orphaned without images if you or your server, ISP, etc goes away.

If it's actually on the forum itself, attached to the post, then it stays with the post as long as the forum exists.

Since in order to fix the existing image links you'll have to edit every post anyway....

But if you at least did have the images hosted publicly (even if it's just an FTP server) then a link in your signature pointing to it would allow someone else to link to those images in a thread if they're interested enough to do so. :)

Ya very nice progress, alto i didnt see one of your images. I agree with amberwolf id start uploading pics to a new site for now.. who cares about all the old ones

Guys you can get a chrome extension called photobucket embeded fix that loads all photobucket images into forums. Download it and then press Ctrl + F5 (to reload / recache) and the images come up. Be sure to save them as who knows how long photobucket will be around for before they truely kick the bucket.

This project is awesome. Cant wait to see the finish product.

etard said:
I just wish I could see what everybody is so impressed with.

His airplane looks spectacular. ! Good to see you around Etard, it's been years since I remember racing with you at many events. If you want, Jackson and I are working on a huge power grid project in LA at the moment, and after work we could all go ebike along the beach bike path and Jackson can show you all the airplane pics you want from his laptop.

Here are a couple pics of farfle's awesome project. I'm friends with him on facebook so got the pics from there. Hopefully this is alright with him that I shared them here!

Attachments

• FB_IMG_1506466166735.jpg
    FB_IMG_1506466166735.jpg
    39.8 KB · Views: 3,909
  • FB_IMG_1506466120279.jpg
    FB_IMG_1506466120279.jpg
    41.9 KB · Views: 3,909
  • FB_IMG_1506466114015.jpg
    FB_IMG_1506466114015.jpg
    39.8 KB · Views: 3,909
  • FB_IMG_1506466096683.jpg
    FB_IMG_1506466096683.jpg
    39.3 KB · Views: 3,909
  • FB_IMG_1506465959907.jpg
    FB_IMG_1506465959907.jpg
    33.6 KB · Views: 3,909
  • FB_IMG_1506465957700.jpg
    FB_IMG_1506465957700.jpg
    44.9 KB · Views: 3,909
  • FB_IMG_1506465915769.jpg
    FB_IMG_1506465915769.jpg
    55.3 KB · Views: 3,909
  • FB_IMG_1506465866804.jpg
    FB_IMG_1506465866804.jpg
    43.9 KB · Views: 3,909
  • FB_IMG_1506465851026.jpg
    FB_IMG_1506465851026.jpg
    40.4 KB · Views: 3,909
Thanks for re-linking those images. Ill likely be using short youtube videos along with pictures in future posts, as there are no real stable image hosting sites at the moment.

speaking of, here is the video of the motor spinning up for the first time :)

[youtube]wf_NoJmB7MI[/youtube]

Sounds just like one of my electric 25% planes I used to fly.....

Hope you braced that motor good and good thing for the wide stance of that landing gear.

Super freaking cool come to mind.

Tom

It's alive!

...well, sort of. Real test will be with the prop installed. Could get pretty windy inside the garage. I've seen them testing planes after an engine overhaul on the ground with some kind of big load cell that measures the thrust.

Is the Cycle Analyst FAA approved aircraft instrumentation? :wink:

fechter said:
It's alive!

...well, sort of. Real test will be with the prop installed. Could get pretty windy inside the garage. I've seen them testing planes after an engine overhaul on the ground with some kind of big load cell that measures the thrust.

Is the Cycle Analyst FAA approved aircraft instrumentation? :wink:

Just for you fechter :)

[youtube]og4scULcgHs[/youtube]

The garage door lifting and setting down on your tail is priceless.

Awesome!

Just give it a tail wheel and skip the wings. Imagine the looks you'd get on the road.

It does look pretty cramped in the cockpit, but the price you have to pay for ultralightness.
How was the power consumption? You should have been able to get a current measurement.

That appears to be an adjustable pitch prop? So electric motor or no you still have to do the black magic of finding the best blade angle for that motor's torque.
And it WON't be the max thrust (as measured by a scale) when tested on the ground, unless you like driving a car around in first gear, same deal!

Looking good, love that fuselage and can't wait to see the wings on it. FWIW: I have a 3 bladed prop hanging on the shop wall (along with many others, all with a story behind them, been flying powered for 35 years) that was on my brand new Kitfox back in '88. My first taildragger, I was out doing some taxi tests before flying it for the first time, and got distracted by a brake issue. So while I had my head down looking at my feet I revved it up to load up the brakes and being a total newbie forgot to hold the stick back.....and up on the nose I went :evil: Proceed cautiously, you don't know what you don't know, but it looks like you are doing a great job so far.

Haha awesome video! and thanks for posting the pictures for us

That thing was ready to start taking off!

craneplaneguy said:
That appears to be an adjustable pitch prop? So electric motor or no you still have to do the black magic of finding the best blade angle for that motor's torque.
And it WON't be the max thrust (as measured by a scale) when tested on the ground, unless you like driving a car around in first gear, same deal!

Looking good, love that fuselage and can't wait to see the wings on it. FWIW: I have a 3 bladed prop hanging on the shop wall (along with many others, all with a story behind them, been flying powered for 35 years) that was on my brand new Kitfox back in '88. My first taildragger, I was out doing some taxi tests before flying it for the first time, and got distracted by a brake issue. So while I had my head down looking at my feet I revved it up to load up the brakes and being a total newbie forgot to hold the stick back.....and up on the nose I went :evil: Proceed cautiously, you don't know what you don't know, but it looks like you are doing a great job so far.

Doh! That sounds a bit messy. Engine teardown after that?

craneplaneguy said:
So while I had my head down looking at my feet I revved it up to load up the brakes and being a total newbie forgot to hold the stick back.....and up on the nose I went :evil:

Stick in your gut no matter what.

That Stratomaster looks good in your panel Farfle.

Thanks for adding the pics and videos! That plane looks amazing! I love how you don't have fiddle with fuel air problems or warm it up for 15 minutes before taking flight.

And here comes the questions:

Why don't you add PV modules to the wings, you could have endless flight time! :roll:

Got the beatdown done! passed with flying colors!

Peak power was 333A at 104V on a full (but cold) pack. it held peak power for 3 mins 45 seconds until it tapered back to 27kw that happened at 255A at 107V. Battery pack hit LVC at 111Ah, which is 95% of its datasheet rating of 116ah (29ah x 4P).

The prop was initially set at 9 degree pitch, which resulted in 600 pounds of thrust!! But, only 55mph pitch speed. We bumped the pitch to 15 degrees and thrust dropped to 200lbs, but pitch speed went up to 104mph! We settled at 12 degrees of pitch which gave 280lbs of thrust, and 75mph pitch speed.

[youtube]tfyF7KI5vnk[/youtube]

Back