ElecTrec vs. 250w LiIon BionX ?? Help me!

msconana

10 mW
Hi! I'm brand new to the ebike idea and new to this forum. I'd like to get an ebike to run errands around town, get some exercise at the same time, and of course there's the fun factor! My Honda Element gets about 20 mpg, which isn't hideous but not great either and gas, as we all know, is $3/gal currently. Longmont, CO is a pretty bike friendly town with lots of bike lanes, it would be easy to get around. So, there's some background, here's the question:

The ElecTrec ($975) vs the BionX (250w LiIon) ($1300 + $55 for thumb throttle)

Talked to someone who sells the ElecTrec yesterday. He rides one and loves it. Loves the freewheeling ability. Has ridden the BionX and doesn't care for the "feel" of it.

I too would like the feel of freewheeling but it looks like you can get that on the BionX as well?

Of course like the price on the ElecTrec but I'm really looking for the best options for the best price.

ElecTrec has SLA batteries, BionX has the LiIon--I've been told that the ElecTrec has more torque and therefore is faster off the line. Since I plan on using it as an assisted bike not a race car I'm not sure if this really matters.

Also have been told that the LiIon batteries are not really stable yet, compared to the SLA. True or not?

I'll spend more money if I'm going to get a good product that doesn't need to be messed around with constantly. You guys here look like you are really into tweaking and making your own and that's cool--but for me, I just want to ride without any tweaking :) I need RELIABLE!!

I have a hybrid Trek that I could (or my Electrical Engineer hubby could!)put the BionX on. It's a good stable bike and already has my panniers, bike bell, my favorite seat, etc on it.

Wish I could try both types but haven't found a rental place or even a place that sells either darn it.

Thoughts and opinions would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks so much,

Julia

Hi Julia

Say more what the max speed you need, or climbing ability etc.
E-bike should be reliable and powerful enough.

I don't really need anything more than 20 mph. I've seen some that say they go 30+, currently that would probably freak me out. Who knows, maybe later... Hills--we are on the Plains just next to the Rocky Mtns. We're a little hilly, nothing like the foothills around Boulder, CO if you're familiar with that area at all. Most of ours are short to moderate hills, more of a long low grade rather than steeps. Now, if I had $5500 I would DEFINITELY try some of the 14ers around here, how fun would that Optibike be??????
Julia

msconana said:
Now, if I had $5500 I would DEFINITELY try some of the 14ers around here, how fun would that Optibike be??????
Julia

Optibikes are weak and expensive i see.

Tell us what rim size you want and what is your weight.
If you are light or/and 20'' rims are good for you, so you should be happy at X5304 or X5305 motor hub.

If you want no less than 26'' rims and your weight is over 150lb, than geared motor would be great for you (if you really dont need more than 20mph )

I'm 165 lbs, the bike I would put the BionX on has 26" wheels. I need to either buy a kit or buy a ready-made bike though. I won't be creating my own. (And I won't let my husband do it for me--I'd like to start riding it asap) I just read out loud what I wrote and he laughed and said, "OH! Brutal!"

If some other kit or bike looks like a better fit for me please feel free to let me know!

Julia

I tried out the BionX PL-350 and it was really nice for what it is. Pedaling it like a bicycle makes you feel superhuman with the adjustable assist levels. If the PL-250 is the top of your budget, consider the P-350. The extra 9lbs will not be noticeable, but the extra 100-150 watts sure will be.

If you can, I highly recommend trying a few bikes out, even if you have to travel a little to do it. A test ride is worth a thousand words.

http://jvbike.com/eps_kit.htm

msconana said:
I have a hybrid Trek that I could (or my Electrical Engineer hubby could!)put the BionX on. It's a good stable bike and already has my panniers, bike bell, my favorite seat, etc on it.

Wish I could try both types but haven't found a rental place or even a place that sells either darn it.

Thanks so much,

Julia
I think in this case, a conversion kit would work best for you. You have a bike that you already like. Converting (or upgrading) this bike would be a lot cheaper than the production made e-bikes. I can't comment on the two you listed since I don't own one.

I can comment though that since you aren't a speed freak like the rest of us (yet...), anything from the Wal-mart $279 e-bike all the way up to more expensive ones you've listed will probably all satisfy your need for electric assist. As was posted earlier by others, you really want to talor your e-bike to your needs, speed, range, etc.

Just to see what $500 gets you in a complete ebike, I dropped into my local Canadian Tire and tried out the Schwin I-Zip.

http://www.canadiantire.ca/e-bike/

Well after a very short test ride inside the store, you still get what you pay for, although it's hard to argue with the out the door and ready to ride price tag. After the SLA dies (notice how even Cdn tire says 200 cycles) it could be replaced with NiMH or lithium.

msconana said:
I have a hybrid Trek that I could (or my Electrical Engineer hubby could!)put the BionX on.

If you let EE hubby mess around and put a kit on, you will never see your bike again... unless he gets a kit too. :shock:

You might look at the cyclone kit review here. It is a decent option.

"The bike gives you the impression that you’re riding a lot faster than you actually are. 22 mph feels a lot closer to 25 mph. Even with the better torque and acceleration, it’s more efficient than the go-hub but the torque drops off quickly as the rpms build. For around-town riding, it’s quicker than a single speed hub motor up to 18 mph while being a little more efficient but the go-hub has more top end speed (about 26 mph) and mid range torque at 56v. Again, you have to keep in mind that the cyclone kit is operating only at 28v! It’s actually pretty amazing performance at just 28v.

The cyclone has become my daily rider, mostly because it’s lighter but also I like the feeling of driving the rear wheels. The front hub now feels a little coarse and twitchy by comparison. "

As for Lithium Batteries, the new chemistry are safe. (Do not dispose of in fire.) Many new packs are hitting the market, it is important to know for certain you are getting the newer chemistry.

Welcome... you will find lots of good info on this board.

:D

Julia,
I got Boinx PL350. love it. Only wish it was faster. After disabling Max Speed Limit. Top speed without peddling is still about 20 MPH. Got code to change all settings. 2 modifacitions I made were: Did not like how magnetic brake switch attaches with sticky tape. Drill and tap holes in brake lever to attach with screws. Got a rubber cover for charging socket. Keeps water and dirt out. See picture of rubber cover.
514-2500_large.jpg

Think Bionx 250 might be toooo slow. Get 350
I too would like the feel of freewheeling but it looks like you can get that on the BionX as well?
Yes. Pedal like a regular bike and motor helps you. Or move lever with your thumb and it just goes.

Look at picture of ElecTrec
electrecbike.jpg

Bionx makes no noise. Think that ElecTrec motor might make noise? Don't know for sure?

msconana said:
Hi! I'm brand new to the ebike idea and new to this forum. I'd like to get an ebike to run errands around town, get some exercise at the same time, and of course there's the fun factor! My Honda Element gets about 20 mpg, which isn't hideous but not great either and gas, as we all know, is $3/gal currently. Longmont, CO is a pretty bike friendly town with lots of bike lanes, it would be easy to get around. So, there's some background, here's the question:

The ElecTrec ($975) vs the BionX (250w LiIon) ($1300 + $55 for thumb throttle)

Talked to someone who sells the ElecTrec yesterday. He rides one and loves it. Loves the freewheeling ability. Has ridden the BionX and doesn't care for the "feel" of it.

Of course like the price on the ElecTrec but I'm really looking for the best options for the best price.

ElecTrec has SLA batteries, BionX has the LiIon--I've been told that the ElecTrec has more torque and therefore is faster off the line. Since I plan on using it as an assisted bike not a race car I'm not sure if this really matters.

Also have been told that the LiIon batteries are not really stable yet, compared to the SLA. True or not?

I'll spend more money if I'm going to get a good product that doesn't need to be messed around with constantly. You guys here look like you are really into tweaking and making your own and that's cool--but for me, I just want to ride without any tweaking :) I need RELIABLE!!

Thanks so much,

Julia
I use a hybrid Trek ,Steel frame and forks, to convert into an e bike. I put on a rear 406 crystalyte motor and 48V nicad pack and can get up to 28+mph. But I also have a Trek alum Mountain Bike thats 7 yrs old that I use as regular bike when I feel like really exercising. I would myself shy away from kits that are self-limiting like the Bionx, speed controls, unknown electronics, etc. because you will want more speed than 20mph after a short time, believe me .

Go to a new thread and see what I did! LOL! Tomorrow's the big day!

The thread is still in E-Bike General Discussion, called:

BionX 350 watt, Lithium Ion--Fun!

Thanks so much for helping me out!

Julia

marty said:
Did not like how magnetic brake switch attaches with sticky tape. Drill and tap holes in brake lever to attach with screws. Got a rubber cover for charging socket. Keeps water and dirt out. See picture of rubber cover.

Thanks Marty--good ideas! Where did you get the rubber cover?
Julia

Charging socket made by http://www.neutrik.com Look at [XLR Product Guide] PDF file

Buy cover from http://www.alliedelec.com
Manufacturer: Neutrik
Description: XLR Connector Seal; D-series female receptacle; Neutrik Brand
Rubber sealing covers for NEUTRIK “Dâ€￾ series and NL*MP receptacles help keep dust out and to avoid corrosion due to the elements. Installation is easy and includes brass ferrules.
Mfr Part#: SCDF
Allied Stk#: 514-2500
Got no idea what to do with brass ferrules?

Used clips like this to attach brake switch sensor to brake lever. Bought from local electrical supply. Here are some I see on internet. Attach magnet with screw. Drill and tap holes in brake lever. Your brake lever probably not the same as mine.
9434tc1l.gif

Buy from http://www.mcmaster.com
Part number 9434T13
Steel One-Hole Strap Galvanized, for 1/4" OD Tubing, 1/32" Thick
In stock at $2.83 per Pack
This product is sold in Packs of 50

Take your time putting it all together. I had a team of engineers, machinists and bicycle mechanics advising me. Bike repair stand is really helpful.

Back