JP spot welder

Riba,
Happy you selling your spot welder again. Like the idea of a heavy 12V auto battery. Heavy is good to stay where you put it on a table.

Request - Would you please delete the second picture on the first post of this topic. That cheesy white photoshoped background looks hokey, and is causing me to have severe mental distress. I like the first photograph with the paper background and shadows.

Thank you,

Hi, I sure hope I will :)

But seriously, I will. Just need some time to show some stuff to my brother. He was the one doing electrodes and footswitches all the time :)

I'm also finishing up my electric car, so please be patient but when it starts we'll have larger capacity since my brother is young and restless :mrgreen:

I would also like to know if there is still interest, so please write here, thanks! 8)

riba2233 said:

But seriously, I will. Just need some time to show some stuff to my brother. He was the one doing electrodes and footswitches all the time :)

I'm also finishing up my electric car, so please be patient but when it starts we'll have larger capacity since my brother is young and restless :mrgreen:

I would also like to know if there is still interest, so please write here, thanks! 8)

Guys, I would like to purchase a silicone cable to use for my electrodes 3AWG would be around 25mm, this is what the welder comes with
Have yet to find a good source, found this one but its 4awg and not sure if its really flexible
http://www.ebay.com/itm/M16878-8-BRL-5-Harbour-Silicon-Wire-4-AWG-25-X-133-Green-10-Partial-/201600195626?epid=1773207225&hash=item2ef04edc2a:g:k4YAAOSwMNxXWHok

These should be very flexible:

https://www.tme.eu/gb/details/heat180sif-25rd/silicone-cables-single-core/lapp-kabel/0057104/

And these should be "f**k me how is that even possible" flexible:

https://www.tme.eu/gb/details/sili-s_25-b/test-leads/multi-contact/617615-21/

And then I can make some electrode with them.

riba2233 said:

thanks. pls put me down for one. prefer assembled version. if not happening, I will take the kit :)

Confused, does the new welder come with better probe cables? The old cables were not flexible enough and will slowly break/fray where they connect to the battery and welder. Half the wire is severed from both cables building 1 pack.

The cables should be very flexible and also be a bit longer so easier to reach when building a large pack. Just my opinion from building a pack with the old welder.

If it is more expensive for longer and more flexible cables, it is well worth to upgrade this. I am going to upgrade my cables.

Cables should be as short as possible. Otherwise, in my experience you loose energy to the weld. Its good to have the freedom to move around the pack but this comes at a cost

Quokka said:
Cables should be as short as possible. Otherwise, in my experience you loose energy to the weld. Its good to have the freedom to move around the pack but this comes at a cost

I can't see this being the case with 4 AWG wire? I would just add an extra 12 volt lipo pack if I needed a stronger weld.

We are talking about 2 feet extra length would help so much.

For sure using more flexible cable would be nice. I found some 4ga that was very nice and super flexible. I kept the same length. Shorter is better, but adding a little bit won't be a problem I think, especially if you're using .15mm nickel.

Offroader said:
Confused, does the new welder come with better probe cables? The old cables were not flexible enough and will slowly break/fray where they connect to the battery and welder. Half the wire is severed from both cables building 1 pack.

The cables should be very flexible and also be a bit longer so easier to reach when building a large pack. Just my opinion from building a pack with the old welder.

If it is more expensive for longer and more flexible cables, it is well worth to upgrade this. I am going to upgrade my cables.

Hi, there are a few points I have to make.

First, there isn't any new welder, who sad that :) There will however be upgraded MOSFET source to bussbar connection as standard.

Second, about the flexibility. I personally never had any problems with that regard, and also no one ever complained about that, neither about the flexibility or length.
More flexible cables would drive up the price by around 20 USD, and since most people doesn't need or want them, and they are probably going to weld one or two packs, I just can't justify the added cost.

I think they most people would prefer lower price over bit more flexible leads.

However, I can make custom electrodes with any kind of cables, but that comes with greater cost as one would expect, but also with longer lead time.

Also, I wouldn't feel safe making them longer, because of the added inductance. You can always make them longer, but at your risk :)

Offroader said:
Quokka said:

I can't see this being the case with 4 AWG wire? I would just add an extra 12 volt lipo pack if I needed a stronger weld.

We are talking about 2 feet extra length would help so much.

Extra battery and longer leads are receipt for quick death :) Only few people had problems with welders, and they were all caused by too powerful battery.

fechter said:
For sure using more flexible cable would be nice. I found some 4ga that was very nice and super flexible. I kept the same length. Shorter is better, but adding a little bit won't be a problem I think, especially if you're using .15mm nickel.

Yeah, that's true, but I have to think about all scenarios, and that's why I wouldn't feel comfortable extending leads.

On another note, I saw that few other welders advanced a lot, especially one from germany. It has few extra features, and costs less. Most of the price difference is on the electrodes. Unlike mine they offer thinner cable and non-interchangeable tip, and also have less grabbing area so you can't apply so much pressure.

I want to ask you guys what do you think, is my welder too expensive now, and whether I should offer similar cheaper electrodes and match price, along with current ones, so you can chose between two. I will probably lower the price of the preassembled welder a bit, I have to think a bit.

I really want to hear your opinions, thank you!

I don't mind your welder price at all.
For those who weld several packs on regular basis will love the flex wires. Hm, actually I will order one set from you!

The only thing I found time consuming is sharpening the electrodes. So this is what I did and it works great on 0,2mm nickel. Now I dont need to sharpen it that often. The welding quality is the same.
I always want to modify my electrodes, make new one with smaller, 2,5mm in diameter intake so I can just use regular copper wire for welding.

When I was out of those 5mm electrodes I actually used 2,5mm wire inside the electrodes(above electrode in the pic) without any complications.

Attachments

• IMG_3300.JPG
    IMG_3300.JPG
    121.9 KB · Views: 3,256
Back