Honda MT50 road legal conversion

If you look at the 5th post in this thread it goes through the process of getting it road legal.

I have found a better link to the magazine article about the conversion. Have a look here. You can read the article online with no need for a download. The formatting is not the same as the magazine...but the content is the same.

-Spata

Just wanted to drop by to tell this is a very nice conversion.

Just read that u spent 2500 hours on this which just seems like a crazy number.

Been slowly thinking about a way to make road legal electric moped as well.

Havent really looked into what donor bike / moped might be suitable.

Seems like getting older gas moped is the way to go, as u mentioned, this makes the whole process a lot easier than if it was custom made one or if used bicycle frame.

As about battery, so only 15miles of range or have u installed more batteries?

I guess to get 20mile range, i would need at least 1kwh battery pack. This seems doable, if 200wh pack can be bought for 100eur or so.

Would probably look into using Rc motor as well,.maybe 2x 63 size motors as i dont have any 80 size ones yet

I have 1.1kwh of battery for my 15 miles range. So, for 20 miles I would be looking at 1.5kwh.
When you do your calculations don't forget that you will only get around 80% of rated battery capacity, you can get slightly higher but your battery life will suffer.

I don't think I would use an RC motor if I did it again. They definitely need to be sensored and you will struggle to find a controller that works well. The relatively high KV and pole count means that you need a controller that can handle around 60-70k eRPM and all the latest sine controllers are all targeted for hubs and do not go that high.

You will also need 2 stage reduction system of some sort and all that additional weight would better be used for the iron and copper in the motor. The main reason I used RC Motor + jackshaft was to keep the chain sprocket to swingarm center spacing the same as stock.... so the handling was not affected.

Whichever way you decide to go - good luck with the build.

- Spata

Hi Spata

I know this is an old thread but wanted to ask when you sent your V5 back to the DVLA did you just send it to normal DVLA address or the ‘K and R’ department (Kits and Rebuilds)?

I’ve built a number of kit cars over the years and you have to send specific modifications forms for those to K and R, DVLA Swansea.

Not even sure DVLA are responding to this kind of paperwork/changes anyway right now with C19 but I’ve just completed my 50cc conversion and would like to get the V5 changed over before I do any extensive road testing.

Many thanks

Hi Swiftyds,

I just checked and I sent the updated V5 back to:

DVLA Swansea
SA99 1DZ

Here is the webpage that details where to send your V5: https://www.gov.uk/change-vehicle-details-registration-certificate/how-to-tell-dvla.

Earlier on in this thread you will find details on how I filled in the form - the most important thing is remember to change "Cylinder capacity (cc)" to 0 - do not put N/A or leave it blank. It is the same on the MOT (when you get that far). The MOT station will struggle tying to get the vehicle entered into their computer system as being electric... again they have to set the cc = 0.

Have you looked at Insurance yet? That will probably be a much bigger problem than the DVLA. In the UK the only company that I found who would quote was MCE (and it is expensive!). The issue is that there are many companies that deal with modified motorcycles, and many that deal with electric motorcycles, but only MCE would deal with a modified electric vehicle.

Here is another thread discussing insurance in the UK https://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=69596

Good luck, and let me know if you need anymore info.

-Spata

Many thanks Spata. Yes I’ve read your post about the changes to the V5 so hopefully should be ok.

I’ve got a couple of quotes for insurance - looks like Adrian Flux are doing it now and I’ve had a couple of kit cars insured with them.

Will let you know how I get on and thanks again.

Cool, if Adrian Flux are quoting you that is awesome. I must admit it is a couple of years since I last rang around and at that time they could could not quote.

Strangely enough my insurance runs out tomorrow and I have decided not to renew at the moment.... so I need to go out for a last ride.

-Spata

It has been over 3 years since I took the MT50 off the road, mainly because the expense of insuring it… but also because I never got it to run smoothly. It has languished in the garage since, with a few half-hearted attempts to get it to run better.

As a recap it uses a Lyen 18FET controller, Turnigy C80100 130Kv motor (modified with hall sensors) and 15S LIPO batteries (nominal 55.5v – 20Ah).

My question is this: Has anyone found a better modern controller that they have got to work with one these RC motors?

-Spata

I don't have experience with RC motors but can tell you that I've read of many folks using RC motors use a VESC based controller. The software and adjustment with the VESC software or mobile app is outstanding. I'm using a 3shul VESC controller like I like.

Thanks Guys, I have looked at both the Lebowski and VESC controllers as possible upgrades.
However I have not heard any reports of either working well with my C80100 motor.
I was really hoping for that confirmation before spending any more $$'s/time.

-Spata

Back