How do I pick the right motor?

the_imperium

1 µW
Hey there,

I am working on my first all electric build. I need help choosing the right motor. How do I calculate the torque power and all that stuff? Also which motor type should I use? DC or AC or IPM.. As far as I researched on the internet IPM seems to be the right choice. But I am not able to find manufacturers for these motors. What voltage should I run the motor at? A higher voltage means a less amp for the same power,right? Does that mean I get extra miles for the same battery pack?

How do I calculate the torque,power and other stuff of a motor which should satisfy these :

Weight of the motorcycle: 150-165 Kg (or) 330-363 lb
Weight with load : 300-320 Kg (or) 660-705 lb
Top Speed : 170 KMPH (or) 105 MPH

Thanks
Imperium

You want to address this in the Electric Scooter Motorcycle section.

Hey there,

I am working on my first all electric build. I need help choosing the right motor. How do I calculate the torque power and all that stuff? Also which motor type should I use? DC or AC or IPM.. As far as I researched on the internet IPM seems to be the right choice. But I am not able to find manufacturers for these motors. What voltage should I run the motor at? A higher voltage means a less amp for the same power,right? Does that mean I get extra miles for the same battery pack?

How do I calculate the torque,power and other stuff of a motor which should satisfy these :

Weight of the motorcycle: 150-165 Kg (or) 330-363 lb
Weight with load : 300-320 Kg (or) 660-705 lb
Top Speed : 170 KMPH (or) 105 MPH

Thanks
Imperium

You essentially want to match or exceed the performance of the top production e-motos pushing a heavier load than they do. I hope you're talking about flat terrain and relatively short range, because otherwise how can you expect to out engineer the top people in the industry with your first build?

Since you're looking at the weight of a gasser moto, start there with the power requirements for the performance you want. Power = torque X rpm, so an electric motor rated for the power you want is all you need, leaving only the correct gearing ratio to get you where you want.

More important than the motor type is what battery pack do you plan to use, because if you seek truly useful range, then the battery will be the heart of the system and is the biggest, heaviest, and most costly component in your system. Plus the frame needs to be built specifically for the battery pack.

Back