world's first graphene ship

The ship has been delivered two days ago
1t781z.jpg

t9wf3n.jpg

It is 1.6 tons lighter than any other ship of its size (9m) the weight difference in a bigger ship could be huge.
The price is obscene though. I don't know if they are gonna sell many units. Let's call it "first step".

Are you aware that nobody manufactures graphene on a commercial scale? Only small laboratories are using tiny amounts for research and test.

But if you are willing to believe in them I´m sure you are eager to invest huge amounts of money in that company, which I think some moron chinese guy already did.

Some information in Spanish: https://www.elconfidencial.com/tecnologia/2016-04-18/certificados-enganosos-y-opacidad-la-oscura-historia-de-la-espanola-graphenano_1182111/

Also, even the largest graphene pieces that are available to date qualify as "ultrafine powder". That puts it in a category with other powdered fillers such as fumed silica, and not in the category of continuous fiber fillers like carbon fiber, Kevlar, or Spectra.

On top of that, there are surely health risks of exposure to graphene that will come to light with more widespread use of the material. I don't want to live anywhere near a shipyard that uses the stuff. This is a much more wicked material than asbestos from a cellular standpoint, and the more effectively they can make relatively large particles of it, the worse it will be.

All true today, but it does have a bright path forward as a structural and electrical and thermal material. The length and size of the bits today is small, but it's already gone from being batches you grow to being a continuous mfg process, and that process has seen regular improvements in the size of continuous single layer defect free sheet.

The feedstock materials to make graphene are so cheap (methane and/or CO2 and electricity), it may be in the next decade or two even disposable drink containers will be made from graphene, possibly grown into a can shape with no adhesive required in our lifetimes.

Soon enough, a cheapy wallmart bike will be all carbon and under 10lbs. Graphene and CNT based bikes will be under 5lbs stock.

Chalo said:
Also, even the largest graphene pics that are available to date qualify as "ultrafine powder". That puts it in a category with other powdered filters such as fumed silica, and not in the category of continuous fiber fillers like carbon fiber, Kevlar, or Spectra.

On top of that, there are surely health risks of exposure to graphene that will come to light with more widespread use of the material. I don't want to live anywhere near a shipyard that uses the stuff. This is a much more wicked material than asbestos from a cellular standpoint, and the more effectively they can make relatively large particles of it, the worse it will be.

liveforphysics said:
All true today, but it does have a bright path forward as a structural and electrical and thermal material. The length and size of the bits today is small, but it's already gone from being batches you grow to being a continuous mfg process, and that process has seen regular improvements in the size of continuous single layer defect free sheet.

The feedstock materials to make graphene are so cheap (methane and/or CO2 and electricity), it may be in the next decade or two even disposable drink containers will be made from graphene, possibly grown into a can shape with no adhesive required in our lifetimes.

Soon enough, a cheapy wallmart bike will be all carbon and under 10lbs. Graphene and CNT based bikes will be under 5lbs stock.

Chalo said:
Also, even the largest graphene pics that are available to date qualify as "ultrafine powder". That puts it in a category with other powdered filters such as fumed silica, and not in the category of continuous fiber fillers like carbon fiber, Kevlar, or Spectra.

Suitable as wine vessels?

Not today, but that doesn't mean soon enough you won't have a few milligram weight full size wine bottle. I bet that's at least 2 decades out though before it's cheap enough for disposal drink vessels, first it will be ubiquitous in motorsports and bicycling while it's still $$$ to make.

Broken graphene will make broken glass seem as benign as birthday cake. We need to figure out a way to unmake this stuff before we make very much of it.

Thanks Luke. I am always looking for more eco friendly ways to sell wine. Was thinking aluminum cans and there is always stainless kegs..

Chalo said:
Broken graphene will make broken glass seem as benign as birthday cake. We need to figure out a way to unmake this stuff before we make very much of it.

It's immune to most all acids and bases and solvents and extreme temperatures and extreme cold. Fortunately, it should crumple and deform rather than shatter like glass into bits.

Whatever machine makes the right temp and pressure of plasma to form it from some carbon source originally should also be able to recycle it, potentially with atom perfect conservation of material.

At this moment, it's just bits of fluff added to some adhesive like you said, and it might never me more hazardous than using it in that way (sanding dust etc).

wineboyrider said:
Thanks Luke. I am always looking for more eco friendly ways to sell wine. Was thinking aluminum cans and there is always stainless kegs..
There's got to be a market for really good tasting wine in gallon glass jugs, like $100+ a pop with a fancy name and pretty label. (I work near what they call "wine country") Can't really picture a kegger wine party, but some of the bigger estates might dispense mixed drinks from 5 gal pump water bottles. (Don't ask me how I know. :oops: )

liveforphysics said:
it may be in the next decade or two even disposable drink containers will be made from graphene, possibly grown into a can shape with no adhesive required in our lifetimes.
Disposable, lightweight oxygen and air canisters. (An application where graphene's strength would really shine.)

[youtube]wlEfWzX-2AU[/youtube]

Sorry. No english. No need anyway. They say it has graphene nanofibres and is 20% lighter and Stronger than common ships blah blah.

Back