Mean-Wells

Tommy L

100 kW
I just got into Mean-Wells.....
Questions:

1. Does the amount of current drop off as your battery reaches the set voltage on the Mean-Well?

2. if a pack has 24S multi-stars 100.8v @4.2v per cell........ what is the 80 or 90% SOC voltage for this 24s Pack.

3. I just installed a BBDS02 for my wife with the LUNA cycle 48'v 18650 pack (54.6v) 13S what voltage is 80 or 90% SOC voltage?

I know that it won't be as easy as 80% of the top charge voltage......
I just need someone to show me the Formula..... I'll be good to go!

Thank you!

Tommy L sends.....

>Does the amount of current drop off as your battery reaches the set voltage on the Mean-Well?

Yes, due to resistance. You can minimize this with remote sense.

WARNING - not all Mean-Wells have that nice current limiting behavior; some shut off hard on overcurrent then hiccup. You can usually determine what it's going to do by looking at the data sheet.

> I just installed a BBDS02 for my wife with the LUNA cycle 48'v 18650 pack (54.6v) 13S what voltage is 80 or 90% SOC voltage?

General rule of thumb is to charge to 4.1VPC instead of 4.2VPC.

Bill

Is 4.1v per parallel group 80-90% SOC?

Tommy L said:
Bill Is 4.1v per parallel group 80-90% SOC?
Well, it's impossible to say for sure because so many things affect that - temperature, current at termination, balancers etc.

Ebikes.ca uses this table:
4.05 volts per cell/group: 80%
4.1 volts per cell/group: 90%
4.2 volts per cell/group: 100%

Which is a good starting point.

Hi Bill!

Thank you!

same for both kinds of chemistry? (With Regards to SOC)

I think the MultiStars are lithium Cobalt
The Shark Battery from Luna says panasonic GA's NCR (Lithium Nickel Cobalt Rechargeable)

Tommy L said:
same for both kinds of chemistry?
"Both?" There are dozens!

Most standard lithium ion chemistries charge at 4.2V (for 100% charge.) Some (like silicon anode types) can go to 4.3, and coke anodes can't go above 4.1 - but those are both rare. The data sheet will indicate appropriate charge voltages.

Other than storage don't mess with 80-90% SOC on any BMS equipped pack. Most BMS will never balance unless charged 100%. In practice, the main thing to avoid is sitting full SOC for more than couple days at time.

If you know you won't use a pack for a few days or longer, merely charge to 80%. Do a quick 100% charge when placed back into regular service. If you do charge 100% and then realize you won't burn off any charge in a day or two, figure out a way to drain some of that full charge from the pack. Ride around the block a few times or I will rig a heater element load - it's that important to me.

MW Mean Well CLG-150-48A LED Driver is a really great 150W (3A) unit. CC/CV, adjustable 38-58V

Ykick said:
Other than storage don't mess with 80-90% SOC on any BMS equipped pack. Most BMS will never balance unless charged 100%.

Hello Ykick!!!!! :)

I'm still out on tour..... tiring to say the least! lol

My wifes BBs02 has a pack with a bms..... I will Condition the pack (5 charges to 100% to get all parallel/series groups in order) Then apparently I can to to 80-90% charge and then once a month go back to 100%.
Yes Yes.... Leave it on the charger at 100% so the BMS can do its thing.... BATTERY MASSACRE SYSTEM!!!!! But apparently LUNA likes this BMS they apparently designed.

I've now switched from LiFePO4's to MultiStars..... and I'm the BMS..... I bulk charged them (to 4.05V) and all the cells came up equally :) Then I topped them off with my
BC168 charger through the JST connectors. (to 4.1V)

The MultiStars are the 4S at 10AH packs. running 6 in series :)

If you remember..... I've been a High Voltage guy from the get go 7 years ago :)

But I'm new to Lithium Cobalt vs LiFePO4's .....

I can't believe that my pack is 1/3rd the size and 30% more energy. 888wh's in a small format :)

Safe travels road dog…

Yeah, this stuff is reaching roughly 1lb per 100Wh and fairly well protected via BMS. Good times!

But I would still treat ANY battery pack with care due a large amount of stored energy. Think about where you charge? Avoid messy, flammable areas as much as possible.

RC Lipo can be a great small yet high power pack and teach you many things which can eventually apply to majority of Li-ion/poly cells. Similar voltage parameters, etc.

RC Charger will bring about many wonderful capabilities sorta like a new guitar pedal. Explore and enjoy the awesome battery tech we’re finally realizing! Man, the old days, SLA, Nickel, ugh!

btw, I'd keep charge current around 2A or so using those balance wires. Depends on the wire gauge used on those packs but 2A is usually safe range.

Hobby King just put the 4S and 6S 10ah packs on sale!!!!!

So I bought 6 more 4s 10ah bricks! wooooooot!

Yeah.... my BC168 charger does up to 8amps down the 20awg silicon wires at 4.1v is 32 watts.
I limit to 4 amps..... 16 watts and wires are not even warm ;) at 8amp (32watts) the wires are warm.

I never much think in AMPS...... I always think in WATTS..... XT 60 connectors can handle 60amps...... ok......
at what voltage? at 10v is 600 watts at 100v it 6,000 watts at 300v is 18,000 watts all 60amps hmmmmmm

so again..... I think in Watts....not Amps ;)

I got my second MeanWell in!

Bulk charge my full series pack..... much better than bulk charging half the pack in series twice, or paralleling the tore down pack!

5amps at 97.2V (4.05 per cell) brings that 10ah 100.8v pack up QUICK! love it!

I should have done meanwells years ago.
Although I did purchase 2 48v 1kw chargers from doc years ago and used them on my Electric Lawn Tractor, but I had to watch the pack closely as the IR of
the LiFePO4's were very different.

This Multi Star pack is very even IR among the the cells. :)

Rockin' tip.

If you have a moment could you share the measured highest/lowest voltage that model outputs adjusted maximum? Specs show 27-54VDC so if it reaches 54.6V it could be useful solution for 48V pack charging?

Ykick said:
Rockin' tip.

If you have a moment could you share the measured highest/lowest voltage that model outputs adjusted maximum? Specs show 27-54VDC so if it reaches 54.6V it could be useful solution for 48V pack charging?

Mine went to 59v

I just cranked it at 10:40PM 11/02/17

:)

Back