Tats BigHit 3 BBS02 / Demo 8 ii phaserunner h35 Build

A few updates to the bike - now very happy with it. Very smooth, completely silent, quick for 36v and economical.

Things that were an issue -
1. Halls weren't working and completely my mistake. I change the terminations and mixed up the 1-5 sequence, once I'd pulled back the heat shrink on the phase runner my mistake became obvious. So halls work perfectly.
2. Couldn't keep up with the speed with 36t front and the original shimano 14t rear - swapped to a dnp 11t rear and still couldn't keep up. So now I have a 42t front thats the largest that will fit on the bike - with a faster motor it'd definitely have to be something like a patterson or schlumpf.
3. Crazy Bob tyre wouldn't mount on the front rim properly so went with the Maxxis Gypsy - swapped the wheel from the big hit over as the hub doesn't have the cups to make it fit the forks. The Bob has a double bead thats a royal pita. Pretty good tyre apart from that.

To fit the 42t and avoid chain drops I needed to add the right size bash ring and chain guide AND needed to sort out the worn rear derailleur. It's a 2010 SRAM X0 and the spring was weak - fortunately there is an adjustment slot in the derailleur for just such a problem. Seems to be doing the trick but I've got a clutched RD coming and will fit that if required.

Increased the regen in the phaserunner to a max battery current of 25A and max phase current of 90A - pretty much the max possible. It's really nice to have the extra range free. Max current limit on the CA is set to 35A in the off-road mode. Changed the grips to ergo ones with bar ends for a bit more comfort.

Next upgrade will be voltage based :wink: Paul has some 14s with the 33G at an appealing price....

Attachments

• FullSizeRender 2.jpg
    FullSizeRender 2.jpg
    59.3 KB · Views: 3,404
1,000 km update - chain drop issues resolved, everything going great. Changed phaserunner settings to 96a phase current and 50ms upramp-little more brisk. Set CA peak to 40a. Motor hasn't been above 78 degrees even on long steep hills so the ferrofluid is working.

Chain drop resolved by changing to a FSA DH 42t chainring, adding a blackspire einfach guide and a sram gx2.1 10speed clutched rd. This has a different pull ratio so I've ordered an ultegra friction shifter like a TT bike has and Paul thumbies.

Had a nail or pop rivet shaft in my rear tyre but when I removed it the slime tube resealed itself and seems to be all good, touch wood. It definitely prevented a flat when it happened as it went through the crazy bob tuffy tyre liner and thick slime tube.

1,500 km's - had a backed-out Anderson phase wire connector sometimes losing connection. This resulted in a controller error 1-1 over-voltage requiring power cycle on the controller. All good now the cables are plugged in properly again (go figure).

100 cycles on my EM3EV Samsung 32e 10s9p pack after approximately 1 year.

All good.

2,250 km's still all good - CAv3 b13 and PR all tickety-boo.

I broke a rear spoke and that gave me the opportunity to change the slime rear tube that had resealed itself after running over a pop-rivet shank for a new one. Also changed the Crazy Bob for Maxxis Gypsy tyre to match front and rear. The CB was a right royal PITA to fit onto the rim.

Got my Big Hit up and running too as a quick back-up bike - need to sell it soon tho to fund more volts....

First issue with my battery after 128 charge cycles over 16 months or so. With the battery in the rack bag I have to fiddle about with the charge Anderson’s to connect to them. Plugged them in last week and no volts.

This movement over time had caused the yellow -ve to come detached from the bms. Dropped Em3ev a quick email asking on best way to access the board, reply received overnight, 5 mins with the solder iron and all good again. Battery is made from quality components all over with great customer service as always.

Looking at the photos, it seems the bottle cage will hit the rack with just sag, and the rack and saddle before full travel?

Why not rotate the bottle 180 degrees to be in front of the seat stem? That way it is easier to grab and won't interfere with the rack/bag. I doubt that it will be in the way of your legs when pedaling.

Couple of updates - new battery, hubsinks and panniers.

o New 14s7p Samsung 33g from EM3EV in the rectangular hardcase. Boosted top speed significantly and is using about 10% less Wh.
o Hubsinks seem to be reducing heat 5-10 degrees.
o Ortblieb panniers are great and really secure.

My guess is the 10% less Wh and reduced temperature are mostly down to the reduction in Amps with the i^2*r relationship.

I'll track things and post an update once I have some more data.

Definitely a 15% reduction in Wh consumed over the 39km round-trip commute as a result of the changes. More regen too. And this was with a km of 40A testing top-end up a slight rise so I'm really pleased with the changes.

The change in motor temp is a 10 degrees reduction with a significantly faster could down, so the hubsink's are working too.

The 33g battery isn't fully balanced yet so I've put it on a 1A charge profile on the satiator to help things along. Here are a couple of screen shots of the BMS app - really handy. You can see string 14 is a little down with a 0.13v difference from highest to lowest of the strings - the screenshot below is when on charge so some have moved around a bit.

IMG_4396.JPG
IMG_4397.JPG

Nice battery upgrade, that smart BMS is pretty nifty.

Its great - there is also a "read log" and "read setup screen". I needed to download the latest version of Android on the phone to get the app installed.

The Log gives all the charge/discharge events sorted by date with the mAh in or out.
The setup shows various parameters programmed like volt cut-off etc.

When doing a full 58.8v charge charging I can see string 8 get to 4.201 volts and the bms immediately cut off the charging. Nice to be able to see what's happening in the battery.

4,000 km and all good. Bike is so much quicker with 14s than 10s and about 10-15% more efficient too. This was something I wasn’t expecting.

Had to reconfigure the controller to have 10a regen cutoff with the new Em3ev bms. On braking from >55kmh the bms would trip out and I’d get no regen braking assistance or charging.

Also updated CA to new release 3.1 from b13 - the update tool worked perfectly on my Mac and only had to reprogram the PAS and display settings. Grin tech rocks!

5,500 Km - had to replace phase andersons. Now got 75A on on it.

Need to figure out how to boost acceleration over the first 5 metres. Mate has a Mac8T with similar battery, current limits etc and he absolutely smokes my HS over the first few metres on full throttle. It's not even close but then I catch up and have higher top speed - any hints? Should I be looking at the phase runner ramp rates, or in the CA gains (which are a lot easier to adjust)?

Any pointers on how to make a CA b13 Phaserunner fast out of the blocks?

Big hit got a couple of upgrades - luna 14s controller change on the bbs02 and a mighty mini with vct-6 Sony cells. This is not really light and goes well. On assist 6 it’s got around 20kms range. I’m able to get more than 280wh out of the 6ah pack with 20% I guess in reserve.

Demo 8 going great after a phaserunner change. Original v1 latching switch started to play up on me. New v3 phaserunner works really nice with thermal rollback hitting me after the last climb home. Wiring is so much better than the original. Boxxer forks got a rebuild and she’s really plush now. Avid code got new pads.

Back