Forks over Knives <health>

I have decided to go on this diet on a wim. I was surfing the interweb and stumbled upon it when I wasnt even looking for it. I remember Joe Rogan talking about Ketogenic or Keto with a few of his podcast guests, and of course I remember Netpronix chatting about it here, I think too Lukes on the vege diet.

My routine has been drinking one or two cans of pop mixed with club soda, and eating at Subway, and eating a lot of bread, cereal, and processed foods. For the last while I have been realizing my weight issues and trying to eat real foods like pickles, olives, eggs. Drank a ton of chocolate milk mixed with skim milk.

Today I made myself a fruit smoothie, with skim milk and a banana, eat some breaded pork, a liter of eggnog. Very random eating pattern. I try my best and thought Subway was healthy, but I am a lot over weight, I used to a year or two ago, squeeze in my belly and it wouldnt look so bad, I tried that today and its bad. I weighed myself a month or two ago, and its bad.

I have always liked brick cheese which is good for the Ketogenic diet.
I have started to eat boiled eggs and cooked eggs.
I made myself a canned tuna sandwich last night, added green pepper, so maybe I need to do that in a very thin pita, or large leaf of some kind. Not a seafood or fish fan but I can get into it I guess. I love dark meat. I like eating cold cuts from the deli. Olives I like. Chicken is delish. Sausage and bacon is my wheelhouse. Gotta start eating them above ground veges as the keto web page states, and drink lots and lots of water.

A few tweaks here and there, throw out all the bad foods, buy a lot of good foods and I should be on my way.

I will do a half baked fasting, I've done it before with simple caffeine pills from the drug store. Back of my mind there was the starvation diet solution.

neptronix said:
Hint: it's not meat, it's not vegetables, it's the kind of fats you eat and their balance.
A vegan, vegetarian, omnivore, and pure carnivore can all fall into this imbalance.

It's more the kinds and quantities of carbs you eat more than anything (This includes the galactose alpha 1 3 galactose carb found in non-primate mammal meat). But, there are specific kinds of fats that are bad for you. Mainly, high temperature exposed fats (Fried, baked, etc.) and certain suspect fats (soy, rapeseed/canola). And certain fats are especially good if consumed frequently, like omega-3s and lauric acid (coconut) due to their strong antibacterial component. (And DHA purportedly seems important for brain function)

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/10479465

Docosahexaenoic acid (DHA) is essDocosahexaenoic acid (DHA) is essential for the growth and functional development of the brain in infants. DHA is also required for maintenance of normal brain function in adults.

Epidemiological studies have shown a strong correlation between fish consumption and reduction in sudden death from myocardial infarction. The reduction is approximately 50% with 200 mg day(-1)of DHA from fish. DHA is the active component in fish.

There can be significant health problems caused by non-dietary factors, and this applies to vegetarians and carnivores alike. Cortisol is independently strongly correlated with arthersclerotic plaques and there are relational problems that can significantly underlie cortisol. There are also financial problems.

It's a balance, as is all to or ever to exist. Right? I like to think we know this balance at our cores, but we all like to trick ourselves to some level.

Bread and water is made out to be 'dungeon food' but I'd take a bet that good quality bread and water would be all needed for healthy sustenance. . . . But it does really kick me there's a few people that believe we could live off of sunlight and air alone. Maybe someday :D

As a mental exercise, I would be willing to be perfectly satisfied with bread and water alone.

Drinkin' too much eggnog these days, too much chocolate milk. Water water water, or soda water/club soda and a bit of lemon juice for the fizzy taste. 'Tis the season as they say.

nutspecial said:
Bread and water is made out to be 'dungeon food' but I'd take a bet that good quality bread and water would be all needed for healthy sustenance. . . .

Post-meal blood pressure testing will tell you quickly if your assertion is likely true.

I see possible issues with bread alone, but if you are separating the wheat bran, then you are removing the phytates I believe, which could mean adequate absorption of the nutrients in the germ. If you were to simply eat whole wheat, you'd probably get enough energy, but absorption of the vitamins and minerals might be impaired. It'd be wise to pare the bread with some fruits and veggies, if you were limited to one thing to pare with, I'd recommend tomatos or spinach (For the vitamin C and additional specific benefits). Hey, which happens to be a historically common complement in sandwiches.

If you haven't watched " Forks over Knives" yet be sure to watch it as it tells you what we should of been taught as children , but weren't.

Mysteriously we were kept ignorant hmmm

Back