la Nina rears her ugly head

---------------------------------------------La Niña Rain Gage-----------------------------------------------------------------
Nothin'/Skunked-Foggy Doggy-Play Misty-Drizzle Corn-Light Showers-Steady Soaker-Bands/Sheets-Cats & Dogs
------------------------------------------------------------- :| -------------------------------------------------------------------

Just a few big drops on the way to work early this am, more rain on the surrounding mountains. Smelled like rain during the day, but never made it to the ground. Next chance for rain this weekend.

Forecast 11-1-17.JPG

Heading here too. Total so far this year is 0.25". We could really use the rain now. It may cause problems up north in the burned areas.

Tonight
A 20 percent chance of rain after 11pm. Mostly cloudy, with a low around 49. Southwest wind 5 to 10 mph becoming southeast after midnight.
Friday
A 20 percent chance of rain before 11am. Cloudy, then gradually becoming mostly sunny, with a high near 67. Calm wind becoming west around 5 mph in the afternoon.
Friday night
Mostly cloudy, with a low around 50. West wind around 5 mph becoming calm in the evening.
Saturday
A 20 percent chance of rain after 11am. Partly sunny, with a high near 64. Calm wind becoming west around 5 mph in the afternoon.
Saturday night
A slight chance of rain before 11pm, then a chance of showers after 11pm. Cloudy, with a low around 51. West wind 5 to 10 mph becoming light and variable in the evening. Chance of precipitation is 30%.
Sunday
A 30 percent chance of showers. Cloudy, with a high near 66.
Sunday night
A 30 percent chance of showers, mainly before 11pm. Cloudy, with a low around 51.
Monday
A slight chance of showers. Cloudy, with a high near 64.
Monday night
A slight chance of showers. Mostly cloudy, with a low around 51.
Tuesday
A slight chance of showers. Partly sunny, with a high near 72.
Tuesdsy night
A slight chance of showers. Partly cloudy, with a low around 52.
Wednesday
Mostly sunny, with a high near 74.
Wednesday night
Mostly cloudy, with a low around 52.
Thursday
Mostly cloudy, then gradually becoming sunny, with a high near 74.

Snow expected in the Sierra Nevada mountains, and in the higher elevations locally. :mrgreen:

Day before yesterday the forecast was for about 10% chance of rain day and night for several days starting tomorrow.

Yesterday that got rolled back to 10% chance a couple nights beginning of next week.

Now there's no chance. :(

---------------------------------------------La Niña Rain Gage-----------------------------------------------------------------
Nothin'/Skunked-Foggy Doggy-Play Misty-Drizzle Corn-Light Showers-Steady Soaker-Bands/Sheets-Cats & Dogs
-- :twisted: --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

https://radar.weather.gov/radar.php?rid=NKX&product=NTP&overlay=11101111&loop=yes

The official El Nino watchers are predicting El Nino neutral conditions for most of this season.

Below is the 3 month precipitation forecast: Below normal in the areas hit by the hurricanes, so maybe they will get a chance to dry out.

3 month precipitation outlook.gif

http://forecast.weather.gov/product.php?site=SGX&issuedby=SGX&product=RRM&format=CI&version=1
Miscellaneous Hydrologic Data 
Issued by NWS
Storm was a real dud, pumped up to the max by the TV weather clowns and bunnies. :roll:

Pitaya tropical moisture visible to the south, huge low in the Northern Pacific; setting up for real onslaught of winter weather. :twisted:
http://www.ssd.noaa.gov/goes/west/nepac/h5-loop-ft.html

Rain mainly in southern San Diego and Imperial County and southwards into Baja California Mexico.
http://forecast.weather.gov/product.php?site=SGX&issuedby=SGX&product=RRM&format=CI&version=1

Not supposed to be any rain here, but it's partly cloudy to night, and it actually *smells* like rain right now, though there is none.

1.2" here. Really need it. But I discovered a small leak in my roof, so I need it to dry out a little.

The mountain trails will be nice now. It was getting really dusty before the rain. My bike is covered with dust. Now it will be mud.

They make a roof patch in gallon cans (like paint cans) that applies wet or dry. I've used it to patch stuff around shingle/vent/etc joins while raining, once a leak was found.

I forget the name of the one I used, but it's very gooey, and stinks of various petroleum smells, and it doesn't come off you or clothes, so wear stuff you can toss, and use disposable gloves.

Well, I think I fixed roof the leak. I'll find out soon enough. It's a flat roof that has penetrations for the downspouts. It seems one of the downspouts rusted out where it passes through the roof. I found section of sink drain that fit nicely inside the existing hole and glued it in around the top, above the leaky part. I think it will be good.

After roof patching, I went out for a ride. It was a bit chilly, but the soil moisture was perfect. No dust, no mud, except for a few small puddles that were easily avoidable. Traction is so much better when the ground isn't totally dried out. And my bike didn't get all covered with dust. Soon it will be more on the wet side with unavoidable puddles.

About .1" of drizzle today. Should get a pretty good rain on Wednesday here. I can test out my patch job. They predict possible problems in the burn areas up north. The rainy season has started...

1.7" here since Wednesday. Looks like the roof patch is holding. Now I have to go clean up the yard.

Back