Forum software upgrade on 11/17/2017 technical issues thread

I see the initial poster's name on the left in this view. But not their icon.

2017-11-17 21_56_12-Endless Sphere - Active topics.png

Just keep in mind that the old forum did not even show poster icons at all. The one on the right is shown only thanks to an add-on ( phpbb still can't do that! )

I do wonder if i can jam the original poster's avatar in on the left in this theme. i'll add that to my list of things to investigate once we shake any/all bugs out of this round of changes.

The Prosilver theme will show the OP username in the index.

Is there a way to edit the themes? I miss the old SubSilver, but anything that's easy on the eyes would be great.

The Prosilver theme will show the OP username in the index.

Is there a way to edit the themes? I miss the old SubSilver, but anything that's easy on the eyes would be great.

The themes for this version of phpbb are much more difficult to edit this time around, due to them being mobile compatible. Do you know css, html, and javascript? :shock: :cry:

The closest you're going to get to subsilver for the moment is se_square_left for now. ( i also miss subsilver )

Gammaray found a huge bug. Moderator's categories are missing from view, even though the permissions appear to be set correctly. I tried to fix it to no avail tonight. Will give it another stab when i have time tomorrow.

Another moderator PS: see user profile pages for the 'hammer.. it's there, trust me ;)

We are also missing the edit history modification. I'm putting that on my list.

Maybe this would be the better thread for them (now that I see others are listing issues here), but I posted a number of problems (and have more to do once I'm able) over here in the "differences" thread:

https://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=91553

I like the new look

Tip , if the fonts were larger it would make for easier reading as Im having to zoom

eCue said:
I like the new look

Tip , if the fonts were larger it would make for easier reading as Im having to zoom

Your wish is granted, since a few others users mentioned this as being a problem. I was able to bump up many font sizes around 10-15%.
Let me know how that works for you.
I am not sure if i can get the fonts much larger without doing multi day / multi week surgery on the main theme.

I think I used to be a subsilver user but I probably changed to that view mode the day I joined and forgot it wasn't default.
I am now using the Square NX style and it looks/works great for me.

Well done on the upgrade.

I found the moderator tools to edit a post ok, and the moderator control panel. But I can't find the moderator discussion area now.

It makes for smooth reading having the avatars etc on the right side allowing us to read from left to right instead of middle to right .. I like it !
PS noticed the edit warning change time - Double sweeeet as I'm always fixing spelling errors..

dogman dan said:
I found the moderator tools to edit a post ok, and the moderator control panel. But I can't find the moderator discussion area now.

I checked the permissions and as far as I can tell, the global moderators should have full access to that forum. Not sure what's up.

fechter said:
dogman dan said:

I checked the permissions and as far as I can tell, the global moderators should have full access to that forum. Not sure what's up.
That subforum's no longer visible to me but I happen to have a couple of threads in it bookmarked. When I try to go to the bookmarks, I get the error message "You are not authorised to read this forum."

I checked the forum permissions page again, and I can see it's messed up, but I when I try to make changes, it doesn't stick. Like my permissions are not working either.

alanski in https://www.phpbb.com/community/viewtopic.php?f=556&t=2443756 said:
GLobal moderators cannot access forum

Have upgraded from 3.1. to 3.2.1 and using the prosilver template.
Have successfully migrated but we seem to have a few serious hiccups.

May moderators are getting "You are not authorised to read this forum."

Have checked their permissions, making sure user is in correct group and permissions are set but nothing seems to allow them to view and moderate posts.
What actions did you take (updating your board; installing a MOD, style or extension; etc.) prior to this problem becoming noticeable? Updated board
Please describe your problem. Members of global moderator group cannot see moderation tools or access private board which Global mods are assigned to. Providing a login would not shiw the problem since it kinda is the problem
So this seemed to be an odd edge case cookie issue. Solved by resetting and cache clearing
Ah, the old odd edge case cookie issue... :)

Thank you for that lead!
This did not happen in our test run of 3.2.0.. so there is something weird about 3.2.1.

Fechter and other mods, let me know if this fixes things for you.. otherwise i'm back to work on monday to try to figure out WTF is going on with that.

I thought i was going to take a break over the weekend, but there have been quite a few fires to put out since this transition.. thanks for being patient.. i will work on getting the protected categories back starting on monday..

Put out another fire today / last night.

Turns out this new version of apache webserver we are running was vulnerable to slow loris attacks, despite me replicating the security settings the previous server had. Turns out that on the newer OS, a few of the security components no longer work the same way. They simply ignore the former settings that work..
Ah, the joys of working with open source software.. :lol:

Our server was temporarily inaccessible last night around 10PM PST, and after some analysis of logs, i found that the reason for the downtime was the same kind of DDOS attack that was plaguing this forum before i came on as a system administrator :roll:

I have an updated security rule set in place. Me and gammaray have tested this and found that the system is no longer vulnerable to this attack.

However, these new security settings are a bit on the strict side. Please let me know if you experience any erratic behavior from our web server as a result.

I still have issues in the ACP, but I think I found a workaround for the moderator forum. Moderators please check it out. Look for the new topic.

For myself, I don't see a new forum nor a new post about this under active topics view. Maybe others will.

mark5 said:
For myself, I don't see a new forum nor a new post about this under active topics view. Maybe others will.

Hmm... bummer. Can you see the Moderator Forum at all?

Ypedal can see it, but he's an administrator. I checked the settings again, but maybe I just don't know how to do it. When I click on things, nothing happens.

Back