Wanted:Ebike that looks like a Motorcycle

For the record I am in Southern California in a city of about 70, 000.
You guys bring up some good points about cop harassment, however, I plan on getting a regular ebike as well. Two ebikes may be over redundant for some, but you have to figure i don't have car payments like many of you. So it comes down to taking the risk that where I live might or might not have reasonable cops. That is a risk i am willing to take

Blueshift said:
Two ebikes may be over redundant for some

For at least three reasons, it wouldn't be redundant. First, you have a backup in case your primary bike is down (especially since you don't have a car). Second, Its great to have a second bike when friends are over. Third, you can have one bike that is great for high speed road use and another for off road, etc. Good luck. -Damcard

2 bikes is excessive. Excessive and pointless drama and trouble if one of them appears like a motorcycle.

Otherwise, a dozen ebikes that look like bikes isn't excessive.

You realize a cop must pull over something that appears to be an unregistered motor vehicle driving on public roads right? Its all disadvantages, no advantages.

This is a thread for who can make the most realistic gun looking squirtgun to go make problems for yourself with.

It is the opposite of function. It is the opposite of good results. It is fundamentally a failure from conception forward.

Why?

Style? The style of a poorly thought through problem vehicle choice with only disadvantages and no advantages?

nuevomexicano said:
The Tomos pictured in the first post is classified as either a moped or motorcycle in all US states. It requires some type operator's license (not always a moto endorsement, sometimes just a car DL) in every state but North Carolina. It has a VIN and is classified as a motor vehicle. Taking out the gas engine and adding electric doesn't instantly change that. Its much better to start with an actual bicycle in your case.

Yep! In Socal you would have the normal plating and registering to do if you want to ride the tomos around, because you will be getting harassed for plates like mad if you didn't run them.

In missouri state, I could ride that Tomos all day with no plate and they couldn't pull me over. I do have to have a regular drivers license. No property taxes though.

Scrapping the vin and title is a good idea actually. Declare the vehicle scrapped and make sure it isn't more than a 20mph ebike. Remove the VIN plate. Pedalling will be a bitch on it, you will get harassed a lot and probably have court appearances, but legally it would be an ebike.

Just how much work you planning to put into this bike? :lol:

johnrobholmes said:
Just how much work you planning to put into this bike? :lol:

A lot, if I need to start from scratch especially..but i am enthusiastically willing.

Great posts thus far, I really like those voltage cycles and that silver motorino is pretty nice as well.

Liveforphisics, it is not the opposite of function because a bigger style bike as this would be would be more capable for storage. I would wager the reasons for why a motorcycle looks like a motorcycle have to do with meeting the needs of power but we should also concede that their designs are also better suited for storage.

Yes i could get saddle bags for a regular framed bike but this has never looked cool in any way on a regular bike. So i will admit that this is more psychological than serving a physical function or is it? If a bike also weighs more isn't it true that the balance will be more centered when adding storage capacity?

And also the world is not purely scientific, if we were all emotionless robots, then i wouldn't mind zipping around on one of those basket cart e bikes, surely you can see, based on our brain chemistry, a need or a social function of having a vehicle that goes beyond physical function and looks nice, or cool.

and i also believe that these ebike laws are not based on our notion of what a bicycle should look like, after all where would creativity and freedom of expression go if that were the case.

Optibikes look pretty cool, and seem to perform from the Youtube videos I've seen. Look more like a really stripped down enduro than a motorcycle though and they cost as much as a good used car.

http://optibike.com/optibike-videos.html

The option of converting a motorcycle is kind of out of the question considering 750Watts will not be able to push the weight of the bike.

Anyway you look at it, i don't think it's going to turn out how you planned.

liveforphysics said:
Want to carry around a gun? Paint it day glow pink and yellow, and causally hold it and play with it in the open like a toy, maybe also have a couple water balloons or a suction-cup dart poked in the barrel.

Dude, that is flipping brilliant. I love it. :mrgreen:

Recumbent Bicycle Source said:
Optibikes look pretty cool, and seem to perform from the Youtube videos I've seen. Look more like a really stripped down enduro than a motorcycle though and they cost as much as a good used car.

http://optibike.com/optibike-videos.html

Holy crap Batman, the cheapest new bike they have is $5,995.00 !

If it looks like a duck, walks like a duck, it's a duck, not a platypus.

Ebike looking like a bike = bicycle to everyone because they never notice (except envious kids).
Ebike looking like a motorcycle = world of hassle from everyone because they assume it's a motorcycle. Perception is everything!

Don't advertise!

Digging this up, blast from the past. How does everyone feel about proper looking electric bike, that can look like hulk hogan if u wish. Street legal, possibly autobahn speeds

I just get the sense this forum is so much about DIY wich I love. But you guys pushed this ebike thing so much into mainstream, somepeople eventually will make money from it.

Its past keeping this ebike thing on the downlow, surerly best thing now is to produce lots of bikes at current specifications that will last a long time.

What I hate most is seeinf people turn like flies, bla bla need this, lets change the whole frame concept, blabla need dual speed selfie camera must build new phone.

Just saying you underground people pushed it to a point, where there could be cuple good standards,

But companies keep pushing, my battery my battery, need my lighting system, propriety troque sensor, go frock yourself

Ruff Cycles has some really cool frames that are styled after old school motorcycles. Might be something you'd want to check out blueshift.

http://store.ruff-cycles.com/ruff-cycles-bikes.html

Awesome, somehow goes hand in hand with what users were argueing in 2011...

If it goes 45kmh why wouldnt be the same as Ebike? Difference is, you can indeed trick people believing you are riding something much less powerfull..

But I dont care how it looks, aslong as I can pedal it for throttle, and it goes 90kmh

Edit: coming from europe where 45km/h is speed ebike, was presueming its same in Canada. What is classified as ebike there? Here is 25kmh and its same as bike, and 45 wich is some new category that I dont know what it even means..

Edit: coming from europe where 45km/h is speed ebike, was presueming its same in Canada. What is classified as ebike there? Here is 25kmh and its same as bike, and 45 wich is some new category that I dont know what it even means..

In Canada we only have 1 class of ebike. The main regulations are:
500 watt continuous
32 Km/h max speed
Must have pedals "capable of propelling the bike"

Manufacturers have pushed the limits and I would not be surprised if many of these being sold (or modified after sale) do not conform. Several are 72V systems.

I clicked that it was a six yo post but was looking forward to finding what he settled on, times have changed in what is a available now although the yuba mundo https://cargocycles.com.au/yuba-mundo/ had been around for some time but I doubt these fat cargo bikes were

dingoEsride said:
was looking forward to finding what he settled on

Phew! found it...https://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=36456&p=528260#p528260
a shame about Photobucket hosting, I don't know why he didn't carry on the discussion here, I can see why Amberwolf gets annoyed at multiple threads on the same topic

In seeing the very first post in this thread and my mind was blown. I just finished the exact build that this person posted about. I built a 35mph Electric Tomos Streetmate. This thing is so much fun. I used a 48v 26.1AH Lithium & 1500 watt geared hub motor. It is so convenient, peppy and easy to ride. I think the bike weighs about 75-85 lbs.

In seeing the very first post in this thread and my mind was blown. I just finished the exact build that this person posted about. I built a 35mph Electric Tomos Streetmate. This thing is so much fun. I used a 48v 26.1AH Lithium & 1500 watt geared hub motor. It is so convenient, peppy and easy to ride. I think the bike weighs about 75-85 lbs.

Link to photo here: And I attached.
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1iflq1SGaOSkxEhDU5Jf6QLgDCN6hiHXS/view?usp=sharing

Link to photo here: And I attached.
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1iflq1SGaOSkxEhDU5Jf6QLgDCN6hiHXS/view?usp=sharing

Back