Forum software upgrade on 11/17/2017 technical issues thread

I've spent some time trying to figure this out today. Not getting anywhere just yet.
Looks like i need to reverse engineer the forum code to see what is going on exactly.
Good times.

Fixed!

We have been having system instability that seems to be related to our database since this transition. According to the logs, the 20th was really bad. I have been chasing the cause of this for about 2 days now, and will continue on the problem's trail until it is resolved and this site has consistently snappy performance. I believe i might have made a dent in it tonight.. :idea:

Hang in there, and thanks for dealing with the speed bumps thus far.

its nice having the notifications fixed it had never worked for me now it does and he font size fix is working excellent.

eCue said:
its nice having the notifications fixed it had never worked for me now it does and he font size fix is working excellent.

Awesome!

Addy said:
I'm seeing "[The extension zip has been deactivated and can no longer be displayed.]" in several places. Is this intentional? There are now old posts with missing files because zip files are not allowed.

I have changed the extension settings on the backend. Let me know if this works or not. If it doesn't work, please point me to a thread with a .zip attachment so i can use that for testing.

neptronix said:
I have changed the extension settings on the backend. Let me know if this works or not. If it doesn't work, please point me to a thread with a .zip attachment so i can use that for testing.

Thanks, it seems to be working again. Here is a thread with some zip files for example:
https://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=90058

Locked out again trying to post.
"Unable to access network" is the error message.
All other sites etc function normally.
Shutdown and reload ES site needed to restore access ?

We seem to have 2 threads running for these issues,..can they be combined .

Performance issues are still ongoing. I still only have limited clues as to the cause.
Locked down the DDOS protection a bit further, upgraded the database server, and will continue to watch the system for the rest of the day.

Hillhater said:
"Unable to access network" is the error message.
All other sites etc function normally.
Shutdown and reload ES site needed to restore access ?

We seem to have 2 threads running for these issues,..can they be combined.

I have renamed them so that their purpose is a little more distinct.

Yes, you saw the instability i was talking about.
Still working on it. I have a couple leads on the cause. The problem is that it's intermittent and rare.. the worst kind of issue.

Peak load on the server happens in 2 hours from now though, so we should know by then if the changes i made today resolved the issue or not. Join me in the crossing of fingers. :lol:

It's 10am and this is usually the witching hour for our server. This is peak load. I have seen the system go tits up twice during this hour.
Not a hiccup and things seem super snappy.

I like what i see 8)

Let me know if you experience any slow or funky response from now on.. fingers crossed that i nailed the stability issue to the wall :mrgreen:

As of right now, I'm seeing response times of 10-15 sec. Pretty slow.

Unrelated: is there any possibility of having a "Quick links" at the bottom of the page? Always have to scroll up to find it.

Hillhater said:
We seem to have 2 threads running for these issues,..can they be combined .
neptronix said:
I have renamed them so that their purpose is a little more distinct.
Might have been useful to combine the slow response thread since it's not getting any traction, but it was helpful getting this thread renamed to address technical issues instead of just appearance and feature tweaks.

That said, response is really slow today - 10 seconds to bring up a thread and much worse to get a post preview or submit a post. These are very atypical response times compared to other inet links so this is not a provider or local equipment issue.

Hi folks.. just woke up a bit ago and spent a few hours trying to figure out what the performance issue is now.

The good news is that our system has managed to remain consistently online, which is a first. Previously, our database was taking a dump due to being out of memory, and periodically causing the site to completely lock up. That issue seems to be cured.

The bad news is that this new huge database still cannot handle what's being thrown at it, hence the slowness.
I am beginning to wonder if this new phpbb is a mega database performance hog... or what.

Performance will be poky today. Late in the night, i will be doing surgery on the database.
Thank you for remaining patient with me. We are getting closer to a resolution for this.

DrkAngel said:
Is the ES wiki on the schedule?
Disappeared when ES came back on line.

https://endless-sphere.com/w/index.php/Main_Page

From what i can tell, I had the wiki working the next day after the transition occurred.. are you having troubles with it? clicking the link you provided brings it up. The only issue i know of is that there is a missing logo in the top left.

Not many people use the wiki, so if there is something wrong with it i'm not noticing, let me know. I enver really used it, so i don't know how it should be operating.

Hmm, ES Wiki does work with IE, just stopped working with new Firefox Quantum 57.0. ... ?

FYI, i believe we have found the source of the performance issues.

I have done a trace on what database calls are happening and noticed that phpbb3.2 does database writes at what looks like a much higher rate / intensity than the oldschool phpbb 3.0.x.

Because of this, we hit a IO rate limit with amazon, so we are periodically getting throttled down. The symptoms looked exactly like some kind of DDOS attack early on, because the server and database would perform great for a few hours... then randomly stop responding and/or reboot. This made diagnosis of the problem rather difficult.

Around 3:30-4am PST, i am taking the system offline for about an hour to move the database over to a quicker type.
I think this will do the trick. If it does not, i'm still on the case.

Thanks for being patient with me.. i am determined to make this system as snappy... if not snappier than it was before. :)

I waited around until ES was back on line, but it now loads really slowly. Sometimes taking close to 60 seconds to load. ES never took that long to load before. I am running Firefox Quantum 57.0 with (supposed) 100 meg + download speed. It is certainly slower now then before.

Bang! the upgrade/maintenance is finished.
Let's give this 24 hours and see how it goes.

It seem to be faster then it was.....a couple of seconds to load vs one or two minutes like it was after the upgrade. Thank you for the faster ES!

:D

Back