Forum software upgrade on 11/17/2017 technical issues thread

You literally have no idea how relieved i am today.. to see this system remain stable and responsive for 12 hours straight.. :eek:
I have literally spent the last 7 days on all of this.. i've done nothing but do my day job.. sleep.. and babysit / analyze / tweak this forum.

There is certainly more work to be done.. but i am going to finally take a much deserved break on this project for a few days!

Enjoy!

New forum looks GREAT from here. One observation. Not a problem. Just something I am curious about. Up in the top left corner of the screen I see (3) on every page. This is where the Title goes.
<title>(3) Forum software upgrade on 11/17/2017 technical issues thread - Page 4 - Endless Sphere</title>
print_screen1.png
Using Windows 7 on a desktop computer. Firefox browser.
print_screen2.png

Most times when I try to post only in General Discussion La Niña thread, I get this error message:
Forbidden

You don't have permission to access /forums/posting.php on this server.

Apache/2.4.18 (Ubuntu) Server at endless-sphere.com Port 443

So troublesome I usually can't post or edit in the La Niña thread only AFAICT. Watts up with that?

nutspecial was having the same problem. Maybe he can tell you more about it. Also, he got his name changed to nutnspecial.

Wow... does that only happen in that thread, or are there others?
Also, when did the problem start?

Don't know any details but nutspecial wrote about his problem here. I think he had also mentioned being unable to post before the update. Not necessarily related but I think his username was changed afterwards that day.

I got a couple reports on Facebook about the server being down for an hour around 1AM PST on 12/04/17.
This appears to be a result of the database server running out of memory, trying to reboot, but taking eons due to swap memory being entrenched.

We had this problem before, though it was happening at ~100 times the frequency before ( 1 crash every 4 hours on average, instead of 1 crash every week as current ).

I am now thinking that this is a memory leak in the specific version of mySQL we use. I will have to investigate. There may be downtime as i take the system down to do surgery on the database in the next week or so, however there will be advance warning.

Thanks for your patience with this rocky transition, guys.

www.recumbents.com said:
There's probably nothing that can be done about it, but scrolling through the list of threads is now painfully slow. I use Chrome.

Strange. I have a windows 7 quad core box here that's 5 years old here and scrolling in chrome is extremely snappy. What kind of computer do you have?

www.recumbents.com said:
There's probably nothing that can be done about it, but scrolling through the list of threads is now painfully slow. I use Chrome.
You could try disabling smooth scroll (example) or hardware acceleration.

Mine's slow too. Scrolling feels like it's got a 50lb weight on it. I just use Firefox instead temporarily.

What are your computer specs, mark5? ( or what model? )

neptronix said:
Offbeat setup not worth bothering much about: 2008 white plastic Macbook, Core 2 Duo, Intel GMA X3100 video. Too weak to use a recent OS X so runs Debian 9. Replacing it soon with an already bought new PC but only after I build a table for it. Or so I thought last December :roll:

Its probably a well know bug but the search function is not giving many results often zero results.
I have been inputting common terms like kt controller and getting zero hits using both topic and message body search settings.

When I use search for all terms it gives zero results when i use search for any it gives loads including those with KT controller in it

Many other common searches are giving results from 0 to 3 or 4 hits per search.

Search does not look for any terms less than three characters. (didn't before the upgrade either).

Some words are deemed "too common" by the search engine, so it won't look for those either. If you find words like this please post a list, in case there's a way to fix that. (lots of stuff we *have* to be able to search for, common or not).

mark5 said:
neptronix said:
Offbeat setup not worth bothering much about: 2008 white plastic Macbook, Core 2 Duo, Intel GMA X3100 video. Too weak to use a recent OS X so runs Debian 9. Replacing it soon with an already bought new PC but only after I build a table for it. Or so I thought last December :roll:

....as i suspected :lol:

I believe your problem may be with the size and amount of animated gifs this site has.
If a significant amount of people have issue with this, what i could do is edit the animated gifs and tune their rate of speed down a little.

neptronix said:
I believe your problem may be with the size and amount of animated gifs this site has.
If a significant amount of people have issue with this, what i could do is edit the animated gifs and tune their rate of speed down a little.
You must've worked on it because when I tried Chrome at 3:30 AM your time this morning, scrolling was much better. Thanks for doing that.

I was about to go look for a Chrome extension to turn off animated gifs but stopped here first & didn't after I saw the improvement. Yesterday I tried disabling smooth scroll and it didn't help at all. Neither did disabling hardware acceleration.

www. recumbents.com, I hope your scrolling also got better.

Nope, I still get the herky jerky scrolling through the lists of topics. I agree that it's probably because of all of the animated GIFs. My CPU also starts cranking when I'm on those pages. 2.3GHZ, 4 cores, i5 CPU, 8GB RAM, Chrome on Win7, corporate firewall...

Also today when I clicked the reply to topic button I got an SSL error. I had to change the URL from https to http to be able to post this.

-Warren

I had jerky scrolling a while ago it must of been a browser issue it did not happen while using Edge and stopped after moving to a firefox beta build.

Back