Electric Surf Board

ropower86 said:
Here' my jet-board, I will post another video of it going faster soon.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lz2sp_sXylg

Hello,
I saw in your youtube comment, that you spend approx. 30.000$ for this project ?
It surprises me because you use basic components. Which major problems / cost drivers did you had ?

srn said:
ropower86 said:
Here' my jet-board, I will post another video of it going faster soon.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lz2sp_sXylg

Hello,
I saw in your youtube comment, that you spend approx. 30.000$ for this project ?
It surprises me because you use basic components. Which major problems/cost drivers did you had ?

The board has basic components. But the others that I am building has the good stuff. I want to show there can be a way to build a jet-board with basic parts, 3d printer etc. Building a Jet-Board is not an easy task. $30k which was $15k a year. Fiberglass materials, Batteries and ESC was mot expensive. I sold a lot of stuff a so I got almost half of it back by luck. It is still the beginning era of the E-surfboard, so getting the right components will cost an arm and a leg.

Saw some updated info about Onean on their Facebook page. I'm sure the info is somewhere in this thread already. I'll repost for my own. Their Carver board uses 48v batteries at 20ah.
20229116_670952183093820_5437740488408359471_n.png

20106731_669675816554790_7542139218003086787_n.png

Interesting that they use a magnetic coupling for their motor shaft.

dirkdiggler said:
Saw some updated info about Onean on their Facebook page. I'm sure the info is somewhere in this thread already. I'll repost for my own. Their Carver board uses 48v batteries at 20ah.
20229116_670952183093820_5437740488408359471_n.png

20106731_669675816554790_7542139218003086787_n.png

Interesting that they use a magnetic coupling for their motor shaft.

The battery pack on Carver board has 40 amp hour, 20 amp hour is for the Montana which cruise to speeds up to 6 mph.

https://www.stefansliposhop.de/Akkus/SLS-Multirotor/hohe-Kapazitaeten/SLS-QUANTUM/SLS-Quantum-16000mAh-7S1P-25-9V-20C-40C::1820.html

This is the battery used in the MHZ youtube videos.

Cheers

Also saw these boards over on e-surfer.com. I've never heard of Torque boards, and I don't think they are shipping outside Australia yet. They look exactly like the jetsurf board, but with electric motors. Is this just a branded version of the Chinese boards? It said somewhere that they are dual jet, but I only see one in the videos. Pricing looks good at $4300 which even includes a rash guard, life vest and helmet. The video is actually from my local lake in Utah. I guess they came out for the Outdoor Retailer show this summer. I really wish I would have known about it. I would have slapped down cash and saved them from shipping the board back home! Boards look to be much faster than Onean. More info on their website.
http://torquejetboards.com/xtream/
[youtube]3E0RBwYfYNQ[/youtube]
[youtube]G4eMTi0snyA[/youtube]

The board shown in the Utah videos is the petrol model which is going to retail ~$9K.

Hello Gentlemen & any ladies out there,
I'am in the process of yes, you guessed it, like the rest of you, building an electric surfboard. I have a couple of old windsurfers here (pretty cheap second hand in Western Australia) and want to make something like Mathias has done with the prop job on the back.

It won't be used in the ocean its just for some fun on the dams and lake when the surf is flat in summer, the following is a list of things i have on the way. I already have a SSS56104 KV500 motor and this is what I have coming
Brushless Outrunner Motor MTO8085-250-G KV: 250, MTSF300A-OPTO with water-proof and cooling aluminum case
Cont. Current: 300A, Burst Current:1000A, BEC: NONE and Radio control and receiver for e-skate MTSKR1712 Radio control and receiver for e-skate board.

I would like to use the 48volt battery pack of my e-bike and am wondering can I just use direct drive to a big prop like Mathias used on his build or do I have to use a gearbox on it like Mathias used. Im pretty useless at electronics stuff, but good at breaking and fixing things mechanical with my hands.

Any help would be greatly appreciated,
Marz
And its actually 6:10pm in West Oz at the moment not 8:10pm as the post says

I think you will buy everything twice.

the chinese motor has 116A max. This is not much.

madmarz said:
And its actually 6:10pm in West Oz at the moment not 8:10pm as the post says
On my screen, your post says it was posted at 3:11am. ;)

The forum displays everything based on the time zone you pick in the User Control Panel.

Hey,

i bought 2 Lampuga air and wann sell one.. 6400€ with 2 Bodys, Controller, Charger and stuff...

hi guys. if anyones interested, here are some progress pics.

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    215.7 KB · Views: 4,229
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    168.1 KB · Views: 4,229
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    187.1 KB · Views: 4,229
  • 4.jpg
    4.jpg
    152 KB · Views: 4,229
looks well made.

how did you make the sealing/bearing at impeller shaft ?

i bought some of these https://uk.rs-online.com/web/p/seals-o-rings/2118816/
they seal the shaft outside the output bearing

chris_kline said:
hi guys. if anyones interested, here are some progress pics.
I like your tigging work, Im a tig welder myself too. What size impeller and did you made it with a 5 axis CNC? How long did it take you to put that masterpiece together?

Hi Ropower

thanks for the complements. that was my first bit of tig welding in a couple years, but i guess its like riding a bike.

well the design work took i suppose about 6 hours in total, from 3d model to laser cuts and mould design etc. then the jet drive took about a day to assemble everything.

the prop mould i made from aluminium on a 3 axis cnc mill, then injection resin carbon fiber process.

in total ive probably spent about 4 days actually working on it, but its been around 6 weeks of waiting for parts and materials to arrive.

will post some more progress pics soon of the board. and ill do a little video of the build process plus first rides when its done. also if anyones interested ill post all the models and designs so if someone else wants to use them for their own projects, i think at least its a good start point reference

oh the prop ended up being 79mm diameter with 70mm pitch. the reason was thats what the stainless tube was available in for the main chassis of the jet drive

Did you use raw carbon fiber? Would it be possible to get a video or a good explanation (maybe a tutorial :D ) for the prop realisation? :)

hey frizzo

sure, i was thinking to start a new thread with the complete build, and a kinda tutorial vid for the whole thing, with drawings etc

the prop was made using dry carbon fabric, the carbon was placed between an aluminium split mould, then injected with epoxy resin. this is like the process that mclaren use for their monocoque chassis. except i injected the resin with a syringe instead of a big expensive injection machine

the fins im currently making using pre preg carbon in an autoclave, but you could just use a resin laminating method instead. ill post some pics tomorrow.

the actual board is eps foam, and i will use a wet lay laminating method something like how traditional custom surf boards are made.

the board blank was finished tonight. im getting a little excited now, its starting to come together!

I made my impeller very similar.
Produced two negative forms with CNC mill, then applied epoxid resin and small pieces of carbon fiber until i had approx. 5 - 10 layers everywhere.

With weights i pressed both forms together with the propeller in the middle.
At the end I got the impeller as shown attached.

I sandpapered it a lot and now it is a useful carbon propeller.

Attachments

• IMG_0641.jpg
    IMG_0641.jpg
    219.7 KB · Views: 4,034
chris_kline said:
oh the prop ended up being 79mm diameter with 70mm pitch. the reason was thats what the stainless tube was available in for the main chassis of the jet drive

Wow, you are flying and putting this together pretty fast! Do you have some engineering background in the watercraft field or some sort? It had taking me a verrrrrrryyyy long time to put a jet drive together. :lol:

About your tig job you did pretty good, I use to be a top-flight in tig welding, I had the welds coming out like a roll of gold coins. But that was 13 years in the field but I opt out because I now have bad eyesight.

srn said:
I made my impeller very similar.
Produced two negative forms with CNC mill, then applied epoxid resin and small pieces of carbon fiber until i had approx. 5 - 10 layers everywhere.

With weights i pressed both forms together with the propeller in the middle.
At the end I got the impeller as shown attached.

I sandpapered it a lot and now it is a useful carbon propeller.

Can you show the 2 negative CNC impeller mould?

Back