new eZip motor

Status
Not open for further replies.
Samsung ... mostly all gone, just a few left at higher price.
You snooze ... you lose!

Want to know what's inside those fake 18650s?

bad-18650.jpg

That's if you're lucky. If you're not, you might actually get a real one - That has already failed and has been sent to recycling. I know our waste processing plants pay China millions of dollars a year to dispose of spent batteries. It's not viable to recover anything from spent batteries, so they are meant to be just stored safely, instead of poisoning land fill, but they don't want poison either, so what do they do? Re-sleeve them (Put new wrappers on them), and sell them back to us! We get suckered twice - once for paying for disposal, and once to buy back dodgy cells.

Note that those cells you linked warn that they are not suited for Vaping. That's because they won't sustain anywhere near the 1a needed by e-cigarettes. It'd be even worse with an eBike.

I am currently rebuilding my dad's LiFePo4 battery. Something happened to one parallel string, so I am stripping it back to rebuild it. Of the surviving cells, I am absolutely surprised at how well its held up. After a year of hard service, in a hot shed through Aussie summers, it still has more than the nominal rating. (Rated at 5Ah per cell, but most were 5.2-5.3).

It pays to buy quality and treat it well, if you want things to last.

Thanks Sunder.

Good to hear from you. :D

So let me know if you do order the batteries. I have a charger.

I can't believe my old packs are only good for 2 miles. You might as well pedal that farinstead of spending the money to charge them. What I really think is the motors are still being over loaded/geared. the chain tight as a banjo string is not the way to run a chain, a belt maybe.

So what forums were you on? Hard to read what you posted if we don't know.

Dan

The old packs may do more than two miles. perhaps four or five but am not trying to push them.

It is all I have to run. The three SLAs are shot and the single 8.0 -6S pack will get the Currie mabye 3 miles if it is lucky.

I am only running the 24" cargo bike with the 800 watt hub motor on the back. I have not run the Currie in awhile. The Currie is chain drive.

https://electricbikereview.com/forum/

Good to hear from you Dan.

I do realize how good the hub motors are.

However I own two of these rag tag spoke sprocket wheels and three unite motors which are NOT being used and a super wide choice of frames about 5 dual suspension huffy frames and others so a dual 2 killowatt chain driven e bike can still rock and roll here on this e bike post.

AAAAAaaaaRRRRR

the chain tight as a banjo string is not the way to run a chain, a belt maybe.

Yea The Currie has been sitting. I think the chain is to loose from sitting.

i wont know until I run it. i was just touching it and it seemed too loose however it could be fine. I will have to see and do some videos of these builds.

The banjo tight chain I burnt out the 10.0 LiPo pack is not being used. Not been run since that costly failure. The seat is removed and is sitting next to the dual motor cargo bike I have not moved in the last blue moon.

I am running the 800 watt 20" hub motor that was on the front of the 20" BMX Dimond Back on the back of a 24" mongoose painted black. A 24" wheel is on the front with brakes.

It has opened my eyes a little concerning the superiority and efficiency of the hub motor.

However I am still building a 2 killowatt all wheel e bike with chain drive motors simply because I have most of the parts to accomplish it.

Thanks again everyone.

LC out.

As the Hub Motor Turns and the LiPo Fire Burns. FULL RIVER cells are Garbage.

Continuing investigation reveals more garbage out of China I believe. I think FULL RIVER is made in China. Not the USA.

Has anyone heard of Tenergy LIFEPO4 cells. I would like a second positive opinion but AFTER I order two of the Samsung 36 volt packs I would like to find decent value cells which are at least 80% of their rating so I can construct a 50+ mile capable pack for next summer.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-Box-of-10-LFR-Tenergy-LiFePO4-32650-5500-5500mAh-3-2V-Rechargeable-Batteries/351894365711?hash=item51ee89e60f:g:47oAAOSwC-taAcOV

I will go to tenergy site and also see if anyone tested them on youtube. If I get more positive info. on them I may try the 10 pack for $24

Please let me know if anyone has heard of them. Thanks.

LC out.

PS. I just saw a video on some aa batteries tenergy sold and it was negative info. Less than 1/2 the rating however they are not the cells in question. I can't find any testing on the larger cells.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xlY87jRXdQA&t=27s

https://www.ebay.com/itm/4x-Genuine-Panasonic-18650-3400mAh-3-7V-Li-ion-rechargeable-battery-NCR18650B/122731638713?epid=1946392401&hash=item1c93602fb9:g:6fUAAOSwr0hZzwUZ

https://www.ebay.com/itm/36v10ah-Lithium-Lifepo4-Battery-Pack-for-E-Bike-Motor-400w-With-3A-charger-BMS/152579069389?hash=item23866bd5cd:g:gTgAAOSwzIVZdFF9

$220 is the cheapest for a 36V pack already built and only 10 Ah. There is no doubt you can save BIG $$$ building your own pack if you can manage to keep from getting ripped off on the cells. :roll:

Looks like these Panasonic cells are the best bang for the buck. unfortunately it is too much money and will not compare to the Samsung 36 volt packs. If anyone knows of any LIFEPO4 type cells for around $2 a cell in the 3 Ah range $100 for 50 cells would get me a 15 Ah pack - 42 - 36 volts. $200 for 30 Ah. That would be ideal for the 50 mile pack I want to build for summer. Thanks.

LC out.

Attachments

• 10.png
    10.png
    148.9 KB · Views: 1,686
Samsung ... mostly all gone, just a few left at higher price.
You snooze ... you lose!

Ok Now I got the money on the card and do not know what to order.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/SONA-18650-36V-4AH-EBIKE-VAPE-POWERWALL-BATTERIES-20-CELLS-LITHIUM-ION-BATTERY/172648851568?_trkparms=aid%3D888007%26algo%3DDISC.MBE%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D41375%26meid%3Dcedfb92bf09c4b9bb04391b2a0e8e93d%26pid%3D100009%26rk%3D1%26rkt%3D1%26sd%3D222676504772&_trksid=p2047675.c100009.m1982

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Balancing-Scooter-Samsung-36V-Lithium-Battery-4-4AH-Replacement-Part-6-5-8-10/152418348033?_trkparms=aid%3D222007%26algo%3DSIM.MBE%26ao%3D2%26asc%3D41375%26meid%3Db4552d2b751a45788370f52511e072bb%26pid%3D100005%26rk%3D5%26rkt%3D6%26mehot%3Dpp%26sd%3D152395112816&_trksid=p2047675.c100005.m1851

https://www.ebay.com/itm/36V-Lithium-ion-Battery-Charger-for-Self-Balancing-Hoverboard-Razor-Hovertrax-2/352048459383?hash=item51f7b92e77:g:v9kAAOSwOS1ZxMMh

This is very frustrating. I really do not have a clue now what to do. :pancake: :oops: :roll:

Well. I ordered two of the SONA packs with the BMS and the cheap $14 charger. I was going to order the ten pack of tenergy 3.2 volt cells until I saw the $13 shipping charge.

I am still looking for a deal on the larger 3.2 volt cells. My 6S - Skycharger will charge 6 of the 3.2 volt cells in series I believe but I do not think it will charge 6 of the 18650 - 3.7 volt cells in series.

I have been doing a lot of research and did finally buy those packs even though they are not the Samsung packs they are close to it I think. I hope the cheap charger is constant voltage and current but if not the BMS should save the battery from damage from the charger right ?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q2w5Ka2oNv8

I just inserted that. I believe that guy so I made the right decision. Yes the guy is a genious. lol

Since he knows it all I wish he would post a box of 50 cells which will go a mile a cell for $100.

basically any cell that goes a mile is a miracle. 50 cells = 50 miles is what I am looking for at the cheapest price.

I would appreciate a good deal on the larger 3.2 volt LIFEPO4 cells as if I get $$$ for Christmas would like to order 1 box of 20

4,000 mAh or 4 Ah a cell minimum so 50 (five rows of ten) will make 20 Ah at 32 volts. That would be perfect if it could happen for less than $100. Please let me know. Thanks.

LC out.

As the Hub Motor Turns and the LiPo Fire Burns. one mile per cell.

Will the new pack go 20 miles with 20 cells ?

NO. I can answer that. Maybe 2 miles if lucky.

What I want to know is are there any LIFEPO4 cells that can do one mile per cell and if not how about 1/2 mile a cell ?

How many cells for 50 miles at the lowest price possible.

Best bang for a buck. lol. Not really rocket science.

For example if a box of 80 cells in rows of ten can go 50 miles for $135 then is better than 100 cells for 50 miles at same price or $10 cheaper. I just want the highest capacity cell for the less money. hard to google that.

Please let me know if possible mabye a link. Thanks.

LC out.

Miles (range) is directly related to speed, terrain (hills), load and gearing.
Faster you go - less range
Up hill - less range
Heavy load - less range
Poor gearing - less range

Poor gearing up hill ?
EG Same hill ...
37mph geared = 3mph 10Ah from battery (with probable motor destruction)
vs
16mph geared = 16mph 1Ah from battery

Multiple times ... I have posted up different ranges from different speeds for you!

latecurtis said:
As the Hub Motor Turns and the LiPo Fire Burns. one mile per cell.

Will the new pack go 20 miles with 20 cells ?

NO. I can answer that. Maybe 2 miles if lucky.

What I want to know is are there any LIFEPO4 cells that can do one mile per cell and if not how about 1/2 mile a cell ?

How many cells for 50 miles at the lowest price possible.

Best bang for a buck. lol. Not really rocket science.

For example if a box of 80 cells in rows of ten can go 50 miles for $135 then is better than 100 cells for 50 miles at same price or $10 cheaper. I just want the highest capacity cell for the less money. hard to google that.

Please let me know if possible mabye a link. Thanks.

LC out.

DrkAngel has more patience with you not listening/paying attention than I do. I pretty much answered your question about range with a direct test about a month ago. Well, that is I answered your question as it related to the LG battery pack from alarmhookup. But even though you have seen two really thorough tests of the LG and the Samsung packs, you opted to purchase the SONA pack that has a little bit less capacity and no online test (that I'm aware of) that has yet been done. Oh well. I've got my fingers crossed that the SONA pack will be almost as good as the numbers suggest.

As for range, I'd like to remind you about the test I did for you with a single pack a month ago.
https://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=62231&start=4575#p1332985

The bottom line was that I estimated a bit more than 6 miles range for one pack if you keep your speed to moderate levels. You might even get as much as 8 miles. I noted that my single pack got warm. Running a single pack is a significant strain. So getting two to run in parallel is better than just running one. Running four would be even better. If those two packs work well for you, I'd recommend getting two more as soon as you have the funds. Combined, they not only give you more range, but they will probably last longer and end up being a better overall value because of that. I terms of miles per cell, you could probably get .35 miles per cell if you ride moderately like I did on my test. But as DrkAngel said, it all depends on how you ride.

BTW, even though the average speed on my test trip was only about 15 mph, if you look at the link to the track, you'll see that my typical speed was between 18 and 22 mph and that I went up moderate uphill sections at around 18mph at times.

See - Speed vs Range
DrkAngel said:
Everyone likes more speed!
Well ... most everyone.

What most don't realize is the cost of more speed.
Pulled from the ebikes.ca simulator, I noted the various ranges supplied at different speeds.

Generic Mountain bike - motor only.
665w peak output motor w/48V 10ah (480Wh) battery = similar to a 24V 450w peak output eZip motor - pushed to 36V 675w peak output motor.

Anyway
10mph = 46 miles range - 10.4wh/mile
15mph = 30 miles range - 16wh/mile
20mph = 20 miles range - 24wh/mile
25mph = 13 miles rang - 37wh/mile
30mph = 8 miles range - 60wh/mile

If you travel the same long route on a regular basis ... make a friend along the way.
Stop in for a quicky ... recharge.
eBike forums, clubs or registry?
Help set up a recharge network.

Metricilated 'er up fer ya ...
Generic Mountain bike - motor only.
48V 10ah Lithium battery = 480wh
10mph = 46 miles range ........ 16kph = 74 Kilometer range - 6.5wh/km
15mph = 30 miles range ........ 24kph = 48 Kilometer range - 10wh/km
20mph = 20 miles range ........ 32kph = 32 Kilometer range - 15wh/km
25mph = 13 miles range ........ 40kph = 21 Kilometer range - 23wh/km
30mph = 8 miles range ........ 48kph = <13 Kilometer range - 37wh/km

Remember ...
It's not just, how far you go ...
It's also, how go you far!

Most are shocked at the affect wind resistance plays.
Wind resistance is the major factor, but road load, tires, drive train etc. also contribute.

Makes me reconsider a lot!
Do I need 30mph capability? Nice to have it but ... don't need to use it! - OK! - Still a go.
Road Style bike with high pressure tires and crouched position? - Working on one!
Motor only, crouched behind an Aerodynamic fairing? Sounds almost essential - for sustained 30mph! - Battery pack mounted between bars and fork is a partial fairing. I'm sure I could easily enhance that!

Fortunately, I tend to cruise at 15mph, commute at 20mph with only very limited bursts nearing 30mph.

I'm even considering not upgrading (choke) my latest eZip Trailz LS.
(I use 3 eBikes + latest eZip, + building a road version and an eTrike ... also.)
OEM configuration is limited to 15mph in TAG (Twist And Go) mode and ~10mph in PAS (Pedal Assist System) mode.
Well, not upgrading, till after I run a range trial with my prototype 22.2V 40Ah pack.
I will add high pressure 1.75" tires for less rolling resistance and comfort seat and suspension post ... <15mph range trial might mean 5+ hours in the saddle!
Bike with reasonable roadworthy tires at good pressure.
A reasonable estimate for level travel at maintained speed.
36V 4Ah = 144Wh
Note: high current draw from small battery will diminish range considerably ... and damage battery capacity and lifespan!

And that jibes with my practical test and estimate of about 7 miles for one of these packs ... if you take it easy.

And that jibes with my practical test and estimate of about 7 miles for one of these packs ... if you take it easy.

Thank's guys. I will be taking it easy with the 800 watt 20" hub motor on the back of the cargo bike and with the Currie also.

I will also get two more packs of the same if these two I ordered work out.

However It will be two packs in parallel to one 1,000 watt Unite motor on the front and the two other packs to an 800 watt 36V Unite motor on the back which is my next build.

I will calculate power and speed now.

1,000 watts / 48 = 20.83 * 42 = 875 watts for front motor.

800 watts / 36 = 22.2 * 42 = 933 watts for the rear motor.

Total power = 1,808 watts which should work well for 35 mph gearing. Of course by summertime I will have a custom built pack capable of putting out about 54 volts which should give me around 41 to 42 mph.

20.83W * 54 = 1,124W + 1,198W = 2, 322 watts with a 54 volt battery pack. :twisted: :twisted: Thanks.

LC out.

PS. No pedal chain and the pigs can catch me if they can. I'll be the ginger bread man. :lol: :lol:

latecurtis said:

Thank's guys. I will be taking it easy with the 800 watt 20" hub motor on the back of the cargo bike and with the Currie also.

I will also get two more packs of the same if these two I ordered work out.

However It will be two packs in parallel to one 1,000 watt Unite motor on the front and the two other packs to an 800 watt 36V Unite motor on the back which is my next build.

I will calculate power and speed now.

1,000 watts / 48 = 20.83 * 42 = 875 watts for front motor.

800 watts / 36 = 22.2 * 42 = 933 watts for the rear motor.

Total power = 1,808 watts which should work well for 35 mph gearing. Of course by summertime I will have a custom built pack capable of putting out about 54 volts which should give me around 41 to 42 mph.

20.83W * 54 = 1,124W + 1,198W = 2, 322 watts with a 54 volt battery pack. :twisted: :twisted: Thanks.

LC out.

PS. No pedal chain and the pigs can catch me if they can. I'll be the ginger bread man. :lol: :lol:

Please check your math. 36v is not 48 and the 36v packs are not 42v. All is done at nominal voltage not full charge voltage.

Why are you so stuck on those obsolete LiFePo4 cells? 10 cells is not a 36v pack or a 24v pack. As you posted it's 32v, which is in between 24 and 36 whiich is a strange voltage to find a charger for.

Yes, your charger will charge Li-ion cells.
Use those packs as others have suggested and they will work fine, IF you don't they will FAIL.

Dan

DAND214 said:
Please check your math. 36v is not 48 and the 36v packs are not 42v. All is done at nominal voltage not full charge voltage.

Why are you so stuck on those obsolete LiFePo4 cells? 10 cells is not a 36v pack or a 24v pack. As you posted it's 32v, which is in between 24 and 36 whiich is a strange voltage to find a charger for.

Yes, your charger will charge Li-ion cells.
Use those packs as others have suggested and they will work fine, IF you don't they will FAIL.

Dan

Well yes 36V packs should not be figured at 42V.
But, not at 36V either!
With the small pack size and high drain LC uses, his "nominal voltage", for figuring, would be more like 34V.

I checked gearing for the new dual motor build. I do not plan on investing much in the build. I already have the motors , the wheels, the chains and spoke sprockets and at least three or four Huffy 26" dual suspension frames. I even have two 36 volt controllers I can use.

For the 48 to 54 volt upgrade I got one 48 volt controller but not sure if 54 volts will work but should if it has 60V or 56 volt caps.

Since lower gearing = more torque to the wheel on take off then the 1,000 watt Unite motor should go on the rear because it is 3,000 rpm at 48 volts and the 36V motor is 3,666 rpm and 1,066 watts at 48 volts.

I will check again but gearing for the 48V-1,000 watt 3,000 rpm on the rear with an 11T motor and 56T spoke is 35 mph.

the 36V motor on the front will run 40 mph with an 11T motor and 60T spoke sprocket. I would order a 65 tooth if there was one but there is not so I will have to use the 60T I have. It should not matter in top speed though as 1800+ watts total will get the bike to 35 mph easily at 48 volts. Maybe not with the 36 volt packs though. They should work around 38 volts though even with some sag.

However I got 29 mph with a single Unite motor and the old LiPo packs I am running now. If 12S LiPo = 29 mph with a single motor then two motors will equal at least 32 or 33 mph with four of those 36 volt packs, two in parallel to each motor. It also should not damage the packs as four total packs are sharing the load needed for 33 mph instead of two packs. That is 1/2 the discharge. Thanks.

LC out.

PS. I have been planning this build for quite some time and made a lot of posts regarding it. In fact there is only one reason why it is not already built and waiting for batteries.

It is the same reason why I don't drag out of bed until 6 PM on most days. Laziness. :oops: :oops: :oops:

IMG_2998.JPG

Plenty of room in the back behind the seat for the rear motor but I will need the entire front end from the 20" cargo bike including the forks.

There is no way to mount the motor without BMX style handlebars and forks with shocks will definitely not work.

The pedal crank will have to go as with pedals it will hit the ground. The problem is I do not have the mechanical skills to do either.

I always go to Doug to change forks and I do not know how to remove the pedal crank.

Doug is my only hope to get this project running. He is staying with his mother. He got evicted from his apartment and his girlfriends went their separate ways and he has to go to court for child support and custody of his son. It is a big mess.

Also I am not sure about using the spoke sprocket on the front. It might work better with 8 mm chain and sprockets for the front drive train if it will gear it closer to 35 mph at 48 volts. Wont have to worry about it until summer though as running 36 volts for the winter until I build a 54 volt pack.

One of the spoke sprockets should go on the back though. If I could get a shorter pedal crank to work without hitting the ground I would not have to give up on pedal. This will take a lot of work to say the least. Thanks.

LC out.

PS. Yea I just measured and the fork on there now with the shocks is about 18" long and the only two front forks without shocks are 16" so that puts the front end two inches lower so the pedal crank must go. No need for it with two motors anyway.

The good thing about that is without the pedal crank in the way the motor can be mounted to the lower part of the rear frame instead of behind the seat. Having the motor in front of the wheel sprocket instead of above it will be much easier to keep the chain tight.

Basically whenever I get rid of the pedal crank and get the BMX handlebars and the forks without shocks I will be able to install the motors.

four hours later or so.

Yes. Now I am getting mad. drank some beer and realize that the easy and lazy way to accomplish 40 mph is to simply take off the 24V 500W motor on the back of the 20" cargo bike and replace with the 48V 1,000 watt motor from the old 24" cargo bike I am not riding.

that dual suspension stuff might seem cool. however I kind of notice the better , thicker shorter and stronger front forks; non shock which most BMX style bicycles have. Perfect for all wheel drive and low center of gravity. My feet can touch the ground. Basically a true mini crotch rocket.

NO dual suspension BS. 40 mph BMX style. YEEHAAA

http://prntscr.com/hkbqcv

WOW.

It will be officially a 32 mph e bike with 36 volts to the front and 48 volts to the rear with rag tag or spoke sprockets I own.

It is only 3 mph faster than the fastest video I posted.

But capable of at least 30 volts more by replacing the 24 volt motor with the 48 volt motor.

Then higher voltage batteries will make e bikes go faster.

The 36 volt upgrade will obviously be a 44V 12S LiPo pack.
The 48 volt motor will receive a 60 volt custom built pack.

42 to 44 mph will be the top speed aquired. :lol: :lol: :twisted: :twisted:

There should not be much sag with new 36 volt packs. Even with a little sag I will see at least 1,500 watts and should do about 32 mph without a problem.

Let me build it and we will see.

Thanks.

LC out.

Tired as hell.

Had to be at City Hall at 4 PM. to see my disability worker.

looked like rain but it didn't.

Was going to run the SLAs down and the old Lipo packs back but had issues strapping down the SLAs and ran out of time so took it easy on the old LiPos and made it there about 5 minutes late but at least I made the appointment.

Getting back was another story though. Cops downtown do not like e bikes and I know this. It is why I walked the bike to the pizza shop and then up the steep hill and also walked the bike up the other not steep hill to flat ground.

It was about six or 7 blocks maybe 1/3 of a mile total. The old packs may have made it but why push them when it is about all I got to run right now. Anyway they are still in great working condition.

I know now from what I learned here and from running LiPo that if I would have used them up those hills even though they may have made it there would have been a considerable amount of sag in voltage and several miles of future use would have been lost. Needless to say 1/3 mile of walking probably extended the battery life at least 10 miles longer. The correct choice.

However with me for every good choice I make a bad one also referring to two motors over one horsepower each on a 20" kids bike. :lol:

Thanks.

LC out.

latecurtis said:
I know now from what I learned here and from running LiPo that if I would have used them up those hills even though they may have made it there would have been a considerable amount of sag in voltage and several miles of future use would have been lost. Needless to say 1/3 mile of walking probably extended the battery life at least 10 miles longer. The correct choice. Thanks.

LC out.

I'm not sure what your disability is or if it precludes strenuous pedaling, but that situation can be a good reason to have a "granny" gear available on your e-bike - either a very large rear gear, a small front chain ring option, or both. It is why I didn't get rid of my inner chain ring and still run a 7 speed freewheel. I can crawl up a pretty steep hill at a slow pace under my own power if I must. Of course, walking is a decent option as well. Just a little slower.

wturber said:
latecurtis said:
I know now from what I learned here and from running LiPo that if I would have used them up those hills even though they may have made it there would have been a considerable amount of sag in voltage and several miles of future use would have been lost. Needless to say 1/3 mile of walking probably extended the battery life at least 10 miles longer. The correct choice. Thanks.

LC out.

I'm not sure what your disability is or if it precludes strenuous pedaling, but that situation can be a good reason to have a "granny" gear available on your e-bike - either a very large rear gear, a small front chain ring option, or both. It is why I didn't get rid of my inner chain ring and still run a 7 speed freewheel. I can crawl up a pretty steep hill at a slow pace under my own power if I must. Of course, walking is a decent option as well. Just a little slower.
Probably no chain.

It seems he tends to cut the chain to take off the rear wheel.
Doesn't usually put it back on ...

1750.pngYes.

In my case walking up hills is better than trying to pedal as my orthopedic doctor recommends Total knee replacement surgery. He stated on my disability papers three years ago that no type of physical therapy would help.

On a good day I can walk about 3 miles though. The x rays showed bone on bone when I stood on one leg during the x ray scan. However for some lucky reason I can still walk and even do some stairs (very limited one or two flights) however pedaling makes my right leg hurt.

Bending it to cut my toe nails makes my leg hurt for days. Any type of re- injury though will result in either surgery or a wheelchair and or expensive knee brace.

It is why I bought my first e bike back in 2013. Less than a year ago the old LiPo packs made it up Congress st. with the 20" cargo bike and did 29 mph a few months later with the old 24" cargo bike with the 48 volt Unite motor.

However those days of pushing the packs are over. Now I am keeping them at 10 to 15 mph on the flat and walking up hills to squeeze all the extra miles out of them I can. Thanks for posting and I will keep you informed on any progress made on my current build.

The 20" dual motor upgrade. I will be able to test it by hooking the old LiPos to the 48V unite motor on the back and one of the new 36V packs to the front 36V 800 watt motor. Even though it will be somewhere close to 1,600 to 1,700 watts I wont be pushing it over 25 mph with the old LiPo packs. 25 mph will not damage the old packs as they will be sharing the load with the front motor and the new 36V packs in parallel. 32 mph though could kill the old packs though even with the front motor. I guess I will need to build a 48 volt LIFEPO4 pack soon.

I know that some of you guys or most may think all this dual chain drive motor on 20" bike stuff is foolish. However there is a positive side to this. I will be shooting a lot of videos and experimenting a great deal with a custom built pack for the rear 48 volt Unite motor.

I may even hook up a multi-meter or something to the handlebar to measure this mysterious sag I have learned about. As you can see with my gearing calculations that with 36 volts going to the front and 48 to the rear gearing is 32 and 33 mph respectively. However that does not take sag into consideration.

Since two 36 volt packs in parallel will have less sag than a single pack perhaps 4 in parallel will have even less sag. What this obviously means is if I want to make it to 40 mph then four packs up front will give the front motor close to 40 volts WITH sag (at full charge) where a single pack it would sag close to 36 volts or lower even. The same thing goes for the rear motor. We want close to 50 volts WITH sag figured into the equation so the custom built Lion or LIFEPO4 pack for the rear motor must be around 54 volts and sag to about 50 and no lower. That is what will make the difference in top speed and instead of getting 37 or 38 mph I should see 40 or 41 mph and I will have accomplished my goal. Thanks.

LC out.

PS. Stay tuned in for the Next episode of As the Hub Motor Turns and the LiPo Fire Burns.

We will soon see in that damm fool Latecurtis will or will not break his neck doing 40 mph on a kids bike with shitty brakes. :lol: :lol:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back