BBSHD upgrade from 48V to 52V

Robleman

10 mW
Hi,
I have a stock Bafang BBSHD&controler. The battery pack is 48V and almost done.
I want to change the battery for a 52V pack since I read in the forum the motor can cope with it and ill get some more power.
The question is if I can just plug the 52V changing only the battery voltage in the screen menu or if its needed to make more changes to work safely(I already have reprogram the controler wirt bafang sw to fit my needs in terms of throttle and pas so if needed i can do more programing)
Thanks for your help

You can just plug it in, but the battery meter will be off. I haven't found any way to reprogram the scale on the battery meter.
But you have a voltage number on the display, so you need to know your voltage cutoff point.

In practice, I've found that when the battery bar graph first comes off full, the pack is about 1/2 discharged.

Change the battery setting to UBE and it will autodetect the correct voltage.
I use my BBSHD with both 48 and 52V batteries but I use a CAV2.4 to keep an eye on the voltage.

Thanks for the answers.
Founded UBE setting 👍
I usually look at the voltage meter so if the graf is not real I dont care much.
Regards

That's what I do.
The voltage number can't read higher than about 56.3v, so it will stay there for a while until the pack gets a little drained. Once it gets below that level, it seems to be reasonably accurate.

Thanks again!

I wonder what is the low voltage recommendation for a 18650 52v battery. It will have BMS but I want to be carefull to avoid damage.

Should it be 45-46V?

Robleman said:
Thanks again!

I wonder what is the low voltage recommendation for a 18650 52v battery. It will have BMS but I want to be carefull to avoid damage.

Should it be 45-46V?
Yes, around there. The voltage will sag more when the motor is pulling hard. 46v resting is pretty much drained.

To solve the problem of not having an accurate voltage meter among 56V I was looking for a watt meter like:
https://lunacycle.com/batteries/gauge/luna-cycle-watt-meter/

But have a couple of concerns:
- if plugged between batery and controler as it is suposed to be its allways on and consuming, should in this case be neccesary to add a killer swich to the battery? Wich type to cope with 30A?
- the reviews at luna's site are quite bad, any experience with this model or a similar altenative?

Thanks for you advice

Back