FatCON - Third Party Sabvoton Config Tool [Development Thread]

alec

10 W
y9RWbNp.png

Alright, it's time to start a thread for this project of mine.

Mission: Create a new application that's capable of effectively communicating and fully configuring MQCON (Sabvoton) SVMC, SSC and MQ series controllers, including the initial hall sensor phase check(s). The app must have an elegant, functional GUI and responsive input/output. The app must also have a separate command-line interface where the user can send TX/RX signals to the controller. There will be no mobile app developed, but this third party tool will be capable of using a variety of Bluetooth Serial apps, offered for both iOS and Android, as a means of communicating with the MQCON controller. The drivers required will be included so the user does not have to worry about compatibility issues.

Behind the name "FatCON": Because Sabvoton/MQCON's software and support is truly a big old fat Chinese con rip-off.

Why the f***, Alec? These controllers are really great for our desired application, but there's an unfortunate reality: The software is absolute horse sh*t. Here's an example. Nothing quite like being greeted to possibly the worst interface you've ever seen. Statuses hidden in drop down menus, awful Chinglish translations and functionality that's dodgy at best. On top of all this, downloading the TTL drivers or even finding the "2.0 with Bluetooth" version can be elusive and bring back the feelings of trying to score weed in high school – "I know someone who knows someone who may have the TTL driver..." Not good enough. And if you think the Windows desktop app is bad, wait till you try their Android app.

Steps:
  • Build a serial->Bluetooth communication device for under $10 to render their proprietary cable and Bluetooth dongle as a non-requirement. Make these plans public and easy to follow.
    1. A DSD TECH HC-05 ($9) board will be wired into the MQCON's USB female output, creating an onboard serial Bluetooth signal that can be communicated with by almost any device you desire.
    2. This also will open a variety of ways to create an on-board monitoring system for your controller.
  • Intercept and analyze the serial TX/RX signals the factory software uses to communicate with the controller(s). Copy and log all these values to reverse engineer a new software client.
    1. Fellow ES member Manny recently made a huge milestone which will help me greatly with this project. He paved the road for progress.
  • Compile and re-write wiring diagrams and guides. Translate to proper English and make easily accessible. This is self-explanitory.
  • Code and design the interface, for cross-platform application. Mac OS and Windows.
    1. Developer library utilized will be TBD.

I'm starting this project officially on Saturday, December 9th, 2017. All updates will be posted as posts below and possibly reflected in this first post. All research, work and plans will be offered free and with the ability to do whatever the hell you want with them. I am not affiliated in any way with MQCON/Sabvoton. MQCON/Sabvoton does not have the permission to use, bundle, package or market this software in any way with their commercial products. If you have any suggestions, please feel free to post. If you want to talk crap, tell me I'm an idiot, question every single step – go ahead. This project is for me and my desire to use these affordable high-amp sinewave controllers without the configuration headache.

Friday, Dec. 8 2017 thoughts –
I’m pretty certain I’ll be using the cross-platform Mono framework to send/receive bytes through serial. This will ensure multi-platform functionality and should provide a rock solid assisted command line base for the beta version.

Saturday, Dec. 9 notes –
Bluetooth serial board arrives in the mail today. Looking forward to soldering it up to the Sabvoton’s communication USB directly and enjoying cheap, DIY reliable communication with the controller. As this is an open source project, the guide and plans for creating your own $9 Sabvoton Bluetooth adapter will be publicly available here!

alec said:
Saturday, Dec. 9 notes –
Bluetooth serial board arrives in the mail today. Looking forward to soldering it up to the Sabvoton’s communication USB directly and enjoying cheap, DIY reliable communication with the controller. As this is an open source project, the guide and plans for creating your own $9 Sabvoton Bluetooth adapter will be publicly available here!

well done ?

Looks like this has been put into pain in ass basket,i hate the fact we still have use that clunky old mqcon software for pc,it looks like some software i used to use 15 years ago

Back