Auranthetic charger - Davis, CA

Got something to sell? Have extra parts that need a good home? Have something that others would need to complete their kits? Post it up here and see if anyone else is searching for what you are selling.
Ichneumon   1 µW

1 µW

Auranthetic charger - Davis, CA

Post by Ichneumon » Dec 10 2017 8:43pm

Longtime lurker of this (and other EV forums).

Looking to sell my 73/74 (not sure exactly which) Auranthetic Charger. I'm moving in a few months, so starting to unload projects... Would love to see someone return it to stock.

I rescued this one in a pretty sorry state last year. I planned to restore it completely to stock, but the original motor needed rewinding ($600+ quote), so I "restomoded" it and switched to 48V with an electric bike controller, 4 electric wheelchair batteries, and a 1000W motor. In the process, I redid all the electrics - none of the wiring is stock (I have a hand drawn wiring diagram to go with it and can help troubleshoot anything). It goes about 23 mph and probably about 12-15 miles/charge, though I am not really sure; as when the batteries get low, it gets really slow, so I don't let it get down - controller does have an automatic cut out at 42V to not stress them, but I've never let it get below 44. Batteries have 5 or so charge cycles on them, they charge up to 53V or so, so they'll last awhile. Its been converted to scooter chain with a custom machined rear sprocket. I have a couple pieces of steel sheet as a motor mount and the motor shimmed in.

It has a 48 to 12V converter in the "gas" tank to run the lights. I converted the blinkers to LED, added a replacement taillight (with a brake light feed, but didn't wire that up) but left the headlight as is - there is a light switch wired up below the front light with H/L settings. I also added a newer digital voltmeter and a key switch. These are on a replacement sheet metal piece on the top of the gas tank. I have the original, but didn't want to cut it for a new one.

I straightened and welded up the seat pan, which had broken off its mounts, reupholstered the torn seat (though I'm not a pro, so its not perfect) and added some bolstering foam to the original, as it was flaky. Brake drums are new as are rear shocks. As these bikes were way too heavy for the forks, the forks were bent, and though I straightened and shimmed them; however, under heavy braking the bike still has a tendency to shimmy a bit.

Tires are old, but fine. Tubes are newer and good.

I charge it with a standard motorcycle battery charger, though you could buy a 48V golf cart charger or something to do it that way.

Its perfectly functional as is, but a few things could be done to make it better:
(1) a heavier duty motor mount (1/8" or so) would probably be a good thing in the long run
(2) a better tie down system for the batteries (currently bungees) would make it look better
(3) a chainguard of some sort would be good - I didn't want to cut up the original one to fit the current arrangement.
(4) The controller area could be covered to hide all the wiring.

A big box of original parts will come with it (motor, chainguard, charger, plug, wiring harness, weird speed switch, etc.); it is missing very little: just the original taillight and one contactor (~$10) and both the original voltmeter and the plastic battery cover are broken. It could easily be returned to stock, but would cost quite a bit more than it is probably worth (unless you have the skill/patience to rewind the motor yourself). The original rear shocks could be rebuilt. Original seat cover, a little ripped, included as a model. I sewed up an orange vinyl one that fits alright.

It is street legal and currently registered. Transferring the registration costs $17 (forever; no yearly fees on a moped).

If you want it to completely restore, happy to remove all the later stuff and reduce price, but I'd prefer to sell it all (but its a hoot to drive as is, even if pretty slow), I have about $700 into it, so would like to get close to that, but really, I'm not sure what these are worth, especially a beat up, nonoriginal one. I'm in Davis (15 min west of Sacramento), but could work out meeting somewhere else.

Current:
aur2.jpg
aur2.jpg (228.14 KiB) Viewed 537 times
Older photos with broken seat pan and original seat cover:
aur3.jpg
aur3.jpg (239.16 KiB) Viewed 537 times
aur4.jpg
aur5.jpg
aur5.jpg (249.85 KiB) Viewed 537 times
Frame cleaned well, lots of surface rust, but nothing structural:
aur6.jpg
The day I got it:
aur7.jpg

Ichneumon   1 µW

1 µW

Re: Auranthetic charger - Davis, CA

Post by Ichneumon » Jan 17 2018 2:45pm

Bumping this back up - it is still available and I'm open for any offers.

Ichneumon   1 µW

1 µW

Re: Auranthetic charger - Davis, CA

Post by Ichneumon » Jan 29 2018 1:39pm

A few more pictures taken yesterday.
Attachments
aur8.jpg
aur9.jpg
aur10.jpg
aur11.jpg
aur12.jpg