Electric Surf Board

ropower86 said:
chris_kline said:
oh the prop ended up being 79mm diameter with 70mm pitch. the reason was thats what the stainless tube was available in for the main chassis of the jet drive

Wow, you are flying and putting this together pretty fast! Do you have some engineering background in the watercraft field or some sort? It had taking me a verrrrrrryyyy long time to put a jet drive together. :lol:

About your tig job you did pretty good, I use to be a top-flight in tig welding, I had the welds coming out like a roll of gold coins. But that was 13 years in the field but I opt out because I now have bad eyesight.

cheers. i dont have engineering background with watercraft. but i do have 20 years in automotive design manufacturing.

do you have some pics of some of your old welding projects? would be cool to see those perfect welds!

right now im not at the location with my prop mould. but heres the 3d model of it.
and fresh out of the oven, a carbon fin!

Attachments

• z mould part 2.jpg
    z mould part 2.jpg
    114 KB · Views: 2,630
  • Untitled-2.jpg
    Untitled-2.jpg
    110.1 KB · Views: 2,630
  • IMG_0022.jpg
    IMG_0022.jpg
    192.9 KB · Views: 4,023
srn said:
I made my impeller very similar.
Produced two negative forms with CNC mill, then applied epoxid resin and small pieces of carbon fiber until i had approx. 5 - 10 layers everywhere.

With weights i pressed both forms together with the propeller in the middle.
At the end I got the impeller as shown attached.

I sandpapered it a lot and now it is a useful carbon propeller.

looking good!

here my mould out of PE.

Attachments

• prop_mould.jpg
    prop_mould.jpg
    57.1 KB · Views: 4,010
chris_kline said:
ropower86 said:
chris_kline said:
oh the prop ended up being 79mm diameter with 70mm pitch. the reason was thats what the stainless tube was available in for the main chassis of the jet drive

Wow, you are flying and putting this together pretty fast! Do you have some engineering background in the watercraft field or some sort? It had taking me a verrrrrrryyyy long time to put a jet drive together. :lol:

About your tig job you did pretty good, I use to be a top-flight in tig welding, I had the welds coming out like a roll of gold coins. But that was 13 years in the field but I opt out because I now have bad eyesight.

cheers. i dont have engineering background with watercraft. but i do have 20 years in automotive design manufacturing.

do you have some pics of some of your old welding projects? would be cool to see those perfect welds!

chris_kline said:
right now im not at the location with my prop mould. but heres the 3d model of it.
and fresh out of the oven, a carbon fin!

Pure Beauty in front of my eyes from the screen!!! I wish I can have your skills right now.... Do you share files? I have Autodesk too. I am almost jealous right now of your mad skills.

ropower86 said:
chris_kline said:
ropower86 said:
chris_kline said:

ropower86 said:
ropower86 said:
chris_kline said:
ropower86 said:

I have pictures but I have it on the flash drive stashed in my safe box in Florida. But I will check my computer for any pics.

Hey ropo, here is a tutorial for designing a propeller in inventor:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-iVDzhGvre4

for the cast, just do a boolean difference between the propeller and a block of the right size. then you could also 3d print or cnc machine the mould. If you 3d print it, then use ABS so that you can smooth cemically the surface. I´m planing right now to cnc it. Sadly I have not a cnc mill and no 3d printer. So my progress is really really slow, since I have tro wait for others to get my stuff done. :cry:

I used PE because Epoxid Resin should not stick to it.

But because of a too rough surface, it is sticking like hell ..

For my second Impeller, I applied normal candle wax on the surface.
This worked very well.

Frizzo said:
Hey ropo, here is a tutorial for designing a propeller in inventor:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-iVDzhGvre4

for the cast, just do a boolean difference between the propeller and a block of the right size. then you could also 3d print or cnc machine the mould. If you 3d print it, then use ABS so that you can smooth cemically the surface. I´m planing right now to cnc it. Sadly I have not a cnc mill and no 3d printer. So my progress is really really slow, since I have tro wait for others to get my stuff done. :cry:

Frizzo, thanks for the video. Now I just have to make time to watch and learn. Yeah, it sucks not to have access to these wonderful machines. I had to get me a 3d printer and it is amazing just to print parts at home, I was paying a guy to 3d print parts for me and it adds up really fast it gets really expensive. I am in the same boat as you as it is a slow process making parts. :(

srn said:
I used PE because Epoxid Resin should not stick to it.

But because of a too rough surface, it is sticking like hell ..

For my second Impeller, I applied normal candle wax on the surface.
This worked very well.

You should use pva film that is used in mold release to make it a whole lot easier for you. By any chance do you share your cad file of the mold?

theres some pretty good advice, 3d printing moulds. i saw 1 guy who built a hydrofoil was just 3d printing his props and bolting them straight on. i had one 3d test printed, and i think if i beefed up the design a little, it would be strong enough to just use a 3d printed part

heres some pics of my mould, and the prop that came out of it before cleaning it up. pretty much the same thing as srn did with his pe mould.

Attachments

• prop 1.jpg
    prop 1.jpg
    220 KB · Views: 4,091
  • prop 2.jpg
    prop 2.jpg
    226.1 KB · Views: 4,091
chris_kline said:
heres some pics of my mould, and the prop that came out of it before cleaning it up. pretty much the same thing as srn did with his pe mould.

looks very good

srn said:
chris_kline said:

looks very good
thanks

out of curiosity, what pitch did you put on your blades? looks good, im just curious if we ended up around the same ballpark figure

thanks

out of curiosity, what pitch did you put on your blades? looks good, im just curious if we ended up around the same ballpark figure

My pitch is 57mm, diameter 60mm.

About the 3d print impeller, Yes it does hold up pretty well in the water even with tremendous loud. The impeller has to be printed at 100% infill, in 0.1mm or 0.2mm and set as a high quality which takes longer. Yes, it was in PLA.

When do you actually upload the video at full trottle, ropo? I´ll be very interested to see what is possible to take out from your motor.

Also, I wrote to MHZ and ansked how much torque the Scorpion HK-7455-320KV has.... It has a 7,2 Nm Torque.

Here is the data table of my Lehner 3060/9

Lasttabelle 3060.png

If I don´t understand it wrong, I could get about 250 Ncm torque by ca. 45500 rpm out of it, right? If I then add a 3:1 gearbox, I should get about 750 Ncm =7,5 Nm from my motor and ca. 15.000 rpm, wich is exactly the rpmrange we are using for our jets. I could, in that way, obtain about the same torque of the Scorpion sold by MHZ without spending 1000 €.... Or am I somehow wrong?

Cheers

Frizzo said:
When do you actually upload the video at full trottle, ropo? I´ll be very interested to see what is possible to take out from your motor.

Also, I wrote to MHZ and ansked how much torque the Scorpion HK-7455-320KV has.... It has a 7,2 Nm Torque.

Lasttabelle 3060.png

If I don´t understand it wrong, I could get about 250 Ncm torque by ca. 45500 rpm out of it, right? If I then add a 3:1 gearbox, I should get about 750 Ncm =7,5 Nm from my motor and ca. 15.000 rpm, wich is exactly the rpmrange we are using for our jets. I could, in that way, obtain about the same torque of the Scorpion sold by MHZ without spending 1000 €.... Or am I somehow wrong?

Cheers

the logic is sound.

i wonder where MHZ or scorpian get/derive their figures though. 7.5nm @ 15000 rpm is 11kw of mechanical power output.
the mhz website says the hk7455-320kv has 22.4kw of power.

https://www.mhz-watercraft.com/shop/en/motors/510/mhz-scorpion-hk-7455-320kv-22-4kw-for-jet-64-jet-80?c=114

and what the hell is current power -14 kw? does that mean continuous power? either way both figures are significantly more than 11kw.

not sure if maybe theres some subtleties to this electric power thing im not aware of (im new to it and here to learn) or if theres a little bit of BS going on?

in my opinion, i think 11kw should be more than enough power, if all the other factors come together, board/prop/jet efficiency etc.

i guess were gonna find out!

Frizzo said:

Lasttabelle 3060.png

If I don´t understand it wrong, I could get about 250 Ncm torque by ca. 45500 rpm out of it, right? If I then add a 3:1 gearbox, I should get about 750 Ncm =7,5 Nm from my motor and ca. 15.000 rpm, wich is exactly the rpm range we are using for our jets. I could, in that way, obtain about the same torque of the Scorpion sold by MHZ without spending 1000 €.... Or am I somehow wrong?

Cheers

I did made the video of the open throttle but my phone crap out on me :evil: I couldn't even load any video from my phone. When I tried to retrieve the file from the mini sd card onto my computer the card keep rejecting itself. I had the video of me going full throttle which I was going around 9mph and keep in mind I weighed 220 pounds. So I bought me the Samsung edge with a bad ass camera to record a new video then the pool closes because somebody drowned I had no chance to test it again because now it is. Till this day I am really upset that I lost pictures and videos of this project.

What I've learned that with any jet boards there is a weight limit where 170 pounds is the maximum weight for you to see good speed, over that weight limit the boards slow down tremendously even if you have the right board volume. Unless you have a 15kw or more brushless motor.

When it comes to calculation or bench testing everything tends to sound good until you put it in the water. There will be a percentage power loss because of fluid load to the impeller. You can be right or wrong with your calculations the only way to find out the true answer is to test it in the water. Gearing it will work for sure!

I will need to learn how to load pictures on here so I can post.

chris_kline said:
Frizzo said:

Lasttabelle 3060.png

Cheers

the logic is sound.

i wonder where MHZ or scorpian get/derive their figures though. 7.5nm @ 15000 rpm is 11kw of mechanical power output.
the mhz website says the hk7455-320kv has 22.4kw of power.

https://www.mhz-watercraft.com/shop/en/motors/510/mhz-scorpion-hk-7455-320kv-22-4kw-for-jet-64-jet-80?c=114

and what the hell is current power -14 kw? does that mean continuous power? either way both figures are significantly more than 11kw.

not sure if maybe theres some subtleties to this electric power thing im not aware of (im new to it and here to learn) or if theres a little bit of BS going on?

in my opinion, i think 11kw should be more than enough power, if all the other factors come together, board/prop/jet efficiency etc.

i guess were gonna find out!

That 320kv more does produce a lot of power at the same token it consumes more energy to create that kind of power. Meaning you need a lot of batteries and a top quality ESC to handle the motor demand at 11-14kw. The 1.35 high-quality magnetic wire in this motor has very low resistance where it can handle high amps which will create less heat that equals to power gain. What is the kV on your motor? 11kw is more than enough for a surfboard.

Oh I forgot, mhz has there testing equipment check out the video

https://youtu.be/NrxSkkfGXlQ

Back