Reliable aliexpress battery pack?

2011 was first and last time when i ordered ebike battery from ebay (hunk-801).
Lifepo4 pouch cells started leaking and swelling like hell about a month.
500$ to trash :roll:

Trap for young players.

So, huge thanks to Tom, he put me in touch with Rechie from Unit Pack Power (http://www.unitpackpower.com), and I ordered a 36V 25AH silver fish pack, with Sanyo 3500 GA batteries, 4A charger, 496 bucks out the door, with shipping, no customs fee to Europe. I will let you know how it performs when it comes. They are a big company, and have a warehouse in the UK in case there are any issues. I am American by the way, moved to Czech Republic 13 years ago, love it here. Great cycling culture. Glad to meet up if any of you get over here, beers on me :)

rojitor said:
I did some expensive purchases at aliexpress. Don't worry you will solve the card problem.

They did actually, in spite of what brainless Ali customer service said, one to two weeks more, the funds came back one week after the fiasco. (Sigh of relief).

jerryprague said:
So, huge thanks to Tom, he put me in touch with Rechie from Unit Pack Power (http://www.unitpackpower.com), and I ordered a 36V 25AH silver fish pack, with Sanyo 3500 GA batteries, 4A charger, 496 bucks out the door, with shipping, no customs fee to Europe. I will let you know how it performs when it comes. They are a big company, and have a warehouse in the UK in case there are any issues. I am American by the way, moved to Czech Republic 13 years ago, love it here. Great cycling culture. Glad to meet up if any of you get over here, beers on me :)

OK, so, I got the battery pack today, 36V 25AH. Charger is 4 Amp. Charged it up, took a good six hours or so from empty to full, and took it for a spin.

I don't know the shape of the battery that I bought with the used Guewer bike a few weeks ago, thinking maybe 8.8 or 10AH, about 4 or 5 years old, about 4000 km on the bike.

Results - Holy cow, I mean, for a little 250w motor, what a difference it made. With the old battery I would easily have to feather the throttle and pedal harder up a hill because the assist would run out, with this one, really solid, full assist all the way up. You do have to put in some effort with a small motor, but it really was not much more than normal pedaling even up some decent sized slopes in Prague. So, Thanks much Tom for your advice, Rechie the sales manager was a pleasure to deal with, and it did get from China to Czechia in 9 days, UPS delivery. For what it's worth, I am running a Silverfish battery, and it was plug and play 100 percent. Really delighted at this point, not the cheapest but well worth it.

I'm glad you didn't go with the cheapest option. Do put it on the charger after the light turns red leave it on the BMS will slowly bleed down the high cells and fill up the Lowe's sales but it will take some time on the charger and a few shallow discharges. Do not test it for range right now you're trying to balance the battery too as full as full as it can be bringing it down to lvc cutoff on a new pack can unbalanced it before the pack gets fully balanced. It being high quality cells it should balance and be balance very ez. But the bms takes that's long time to bleed down to balance. Do let us know how it goes. Does the beer come with a plane ticket I wouldn't mind a cruise ship but it seems a lot of expense just for a beer.

999zip999 said:
I'm glad you didn't go with the cheapest option. Do put it on the charger after the light turns red leave it on the BMS will slowly bleed down the high sales and fill up the Lowe's sales but it will take some time on the charger and a few shallow discharges. Do test it for range right now you're trying to balance the battery too as full as full as it can be bringing it down to lvc cutoff on a new pack can unbalanced it before the pack gets fully balanced. It being high quality cells it should balance and be balance very ez. But the bms takes that's long time to bleed down to balance. Do let us know how it goes. Does the beer come with a plane ticket I wouldn't mind a cruise ship but it seems a lot of expense just for a beer.

Wish I could send the plane tickets too! You know what I would really be interested in? If anyone with an ebike has any experience on Austria's highest mountain, it's most beautiful and challenging road, the Grosglockner. I did it on my motorcycle a few years ago, and had all the respect in the world for the cyclists that were doing it. It is one long road, steep ups and steep downs, and lots of bus traffic, and no special bike lanes.

Thanks for the tips! Yes, agree, not the cheapest option but you get what you pay for. The increase in range and especially climbing assist on hills where it just doesn't give up at all, is well worth it. I wanted to do a post like this as I could not find any on the internet and felt it could be really helpful to others in the same situation in the future by the way.

Wondering if anyone had a similar experience with the unitpackpower batteries. I ordered a similar one to the above... Didn't get quite that range, but was a solid looking battery until it suddenly cut out one day. Turned out that whilst the battery is waterproof, there is no waterproofing between the battery and the cradle - so i was getting massive corrosion on the positive connector when the high currents were flowing through- both male and female side were reduced to blue powder... It was amazing that it had been working beforehand.

For a $500 battery, disappointment is very high! Unitpackpower claim waterproof and 1 year warranty, but won't honour it. Am i being unreasonable to expect the connection to also be waterproof?

The funny thing is, i had an earlier ebike with a cheaper battery.. The unitpackpower looked much better constructed. But the cheaper battery was fully watertight through the cables. Fatal achilles heal?

Anyone have any good tips of how to ressurrect or dismantle such a battery to fix the female side (i'll see if i can post a pic)

Attachments

• 20171206_220528.jpg
    20171206_220528.jpg
    36.7 KB · Views: 6,909
  • 20171206_220649.jpg
    20171206_220649.jpg
    43.3 KB · Views: 6,909
There is no claim of waterproofing and that is just poor user maintenance. A simple occasional spray of ACF 50 or similar would have taken care of it. Unfortunately the contact design of the Hailong packs that everyone sells is known to be problematic on many forums. Those are suck cases in my opinion. Id never own one. Popular because of the lower profile. Cheapest case you can buy an Aliexpress. Around $30 shipped.

Hmm, problem was that my bike set up means i can't take the battery out of the cradle without dismantling the whole set up.

So yes maybe a monthly dismantle/clean might have prevented it, but I'm not so sure.

I guess i was thinking a bit of rubber around it would stop any water.

For me, anywhere that current flows should not have any contact with water.

But what is your suggestion? Buy a new case and transfer battery and bms? Unitpackpower won't give me instructions how to dismantle, and it seems something will break if i push it apart any harder... But if you have any good recommendations for new cases that wouldn't require rearranging batteries, please let me know!

Aliexpress Annpower store has cases. But there is a new connector design. See if UPP will sell you a set. Thousands of those cases have been sold. I’m big on ACF50 which waterproofs and protects electronics in exactly that application. One can will last several years.

ACF-50 (Anti-Corrosion Formula) was originally designed to protect aircraft from existing and new corrosion and is now available to motorcyclists. Aviation products have to meet rigorously high standards and ACF-50 not only meets these but has been awarded Aviation approvals - MIL-SPEC 81309 types II and III which means it is 'approved for ferrous and non-ferrous metals, electrical systems and electronic components'. The US Navy carried out tests using ACF-50 on the jets on their Aircraft Carriers. They found that ACF-50 so significantly reduced the corrosion they had previously experienced they now use ACF-50 all the time!

It works perfectly in that type of harsh environment so imagine how well it's going to protect your bike!

When applied ACF-50 forms an 'Active' ultra-thin clear film that will kill any existing corrosion cells and will protect your bike against new corrosion forming. On areas such as switches or under the tank and seat, one application will last up to 12 months. Other more exposed areas will need topping up more regularly. ACF-50 has the ability to 'chemically neutralise road salt' and water will bead on contact and literally bounce off. Ideal for the bike that is used all year round in all weathers, a superb service spray as ACF-50 is also a lubricant and penetrant (without loosening structural attachments) and if you put your bike away for the winter, applying ACF-50 will ensure that moisture will not be allowed to cause any damage! Untreated moisture will creep into cracks and will not freely evaporate - ACF-50 actively ejects moisture from these areas.

The Facts

Kills existing corrosion and prevents new
'ACTIVE' for up to 12 months
Excellent lubricant and penetrant
Approved for use on electrics and engines
Easily applied non-drying, ultra thin, clear film
Very economical
Contains no wax, silicon, Teflon or water
How to Use

ACF-50 is 95% product, hence virtually no propellant. Keep the tin in a warm environment, shake very well before use and remember a little ACF-50 goes a long way, so keep a rag handy to soak up any excess - then use the rag to help spread the product. ACF-50 has strong capillary action so will creep into all the areas that moisture can, 'actively' pushing out moisture and replacing it with protection. Go cautiously when applying to callipers to ENSURE YOU KEEP IT OFF THE BRAKES.

Use ACF-50 anywhere, except the brakes, on your bike including the engine and exhaust (will smoke on first start and burn off down pipes but still slows down corrosion process). Safe on paintwork, most rubbers and brings up black plastic trim a treat. ACF-50 contains no water and is approved for electrics so spray directly into electrical joints and components where it will prevent corrosion induced failures and high resistance joints. Works well at stopping dirt, mud and salt from sticking. You can come back from a winter ride with the bike 'white with salt' - a quick wash off and it's gone with the bike still protected.

Areas not in direct contact with the elements ie tank/seat areas, electrics require treating approx once a year. Other exposed areas re-apply as necessary. You can tell the product is still 'Active; as water will bead on contact...having no water content and not being water soluble ACF-50 only dissipates by being 'sacrificial' whilst stopping existing or new corrosion so just re-treat as required.

Remember, ACF-50 protects jets on US aircraft carriers! If it works for these jets in these conditions, think how well it's going to work for your bike!

Attachments

• E9668679-A983-4477-9393-D77324657B88.png
    E9668679-A983-4477-9393-D77324657B88.png
    64.3 KB · Views: 6,892
  • 5BE10CC0-EF76-4616-82CC-F1EA53ED3191.png
    5BE10CC0-EF76-4616-82CC-F1EA53ED3191.png
    71.5 KB · Views: 6,892
Hope this is not too OT but I notice on their aliexpress page that UPP packs won't ship to Canada. When I change the location to the US it says it won't ship there either. In fact, out of the handful of countries I selected, only the UK and Norway were viable options, which really doesn't help me at all.

So how are you guys in the States getting your packs from these guys?

https://www.aliexpress.com/store/product/US-EU-No-Tax-Hailong-down-tube-Shark-48V-1000W-eBike-Battery-48V-15Ah-lithiun-ion/1178407_32794596198.html?spm=2114.12010610.0.0.5c2268e0XIEwjR

fourbanger said:
Hope this is not too OT but I notice on their aliexpress page that UPP packs won't ship to Canada. When I change the location to the US it says it won't ship there either. In fact, out of the handful of countries I selected, only the UK and Norway were viable options, which really doesn't help me at all.

So how are you guys in the States getting your packs from these guys?

https://www.aliexpress.com/store/product/US-EU-No-Tax-Hailong-down-tube-Shark-48V-1000W-eBike-Battery-48V-15Ah-lithiun-ion/1178407_32794596198.html?spm=2114.12010610.0.0.5c2268e0XIEwjR

Contact them.

Do not order from China. Especially from a company called RiskCell. I ordered a battery for my ebike. All was good for a couple months then the battery would no longer hold a charge. Then, I couldn't charge the battery. I made sure to never push the amps over 30a as it is rated for 30a continuous. I never discharged it past 10%. They wouldn't even help me replace it. They simply do not care.. they think we will keep buying their garbage without customer service. This is the reason why we need to bring our factories back from China. Prime example. Good luck.

After selling UPP batteries for 2 years, and quite a few at that, we've watched the quality control tumble. BAD BMS. To many failures and it's a fight to get UPP and Rechie to acknowledge the problem. Early on, very good builds, and very willing to build to spec. Something has changed. Sadly we've moved on. Getting warranty honored can take weeks if not months. Done. Full circle and back to EM3ev. There will be fils there too, but a far more robust and honest response. Not to mention a big jump in quality for not that much more.

Thanks for the update on Unit Pack Power tomjasz. I was thinking about Aliexpress - 11.11 Global Shopping Festival ( formally the Nov 11 Singles Day ) sale. Last year buying from UPP was recommended . https://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=91478&p=1333678&hilit=singles+day#p1333678

aroundqube said:
Thanks for the update on Unit Pack Power tomjasz. I was thinking about Aliexpress - 11.11 Global Shopping Festival ( formally the Nov 11 Singles Day ) sale. Last year buying from UPP was recommended . https://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=91478&p=1333678&hilit=singles+day#p1333678
If the battery works and 98% do, all is well, but getting a warranty replacement even on their bad build requires WEEKS of back and forth. In the end, We covered all the losses with NOTHING form UPP. Most recently a rash of BMS problems. The original goo reference I got from ES members have been reversed. I guess you work hard until you develop a reputation and then slack off. It took a couple of years to grow into USA market, it'll take some time for folks to hear the not so positive reports. BTW all of my UPP batteries are doing well. Luck of the draw!

tomjasz said:
After selling UPP batteries for 2 years, and quite a few at that, we've watched the quality control tumble. BAD BMS. To many failures and it's a fight to get UPP and Rechie to acknowledge the problem. Early on, very good builds, and very willing to build to spec. Something has changed. Sadly we've moved on. Getting warranty honored can take weeks if not months. Done. Full circle and back to EM3ev. There will be fils there too, but a far more robust and honest response. Not to mention a big jump in quality for not that much more.

Would you mind elaborating on the bad BMS? I bought a UPP triangle pack recently (apparently a couple days before your post), after doing some research for my first ebike. Is there anything I should be watching out for or cautious of? Any info would be great. Thanks!

E-HP said:
tomjasz said:

Would you mind elaborating on the bad BMS? I bought a UPP triangle pack recently (apparently a couple days before your post), after doing some research for my first ebike. Is there anything I should be watching out for or cautious of? Any info would be great. Thanks!
Typically the problems will show up quickly, t least in my experience. Well over 100 batteries. I have one that is 4 years old. All good. But I have 3 that are unsupported by UPP. If there is no issue all MAY be well. BUT recently I saw a repair photo from their EU warranty station, in DE, and is was AWFUL. I've read that buyers have gotten replacements, but only after making a replacement a full-time job.

Fail rates seem low, 3%, but if you're in the 2-4%..it's tough shit.
EM3ev and be done with it...

EDIT justchecked and I still have 4 Rechie batteries.I forgat to mention that after my time on the moon I ALWAYS bought a UPP battery WITH a spare BMS. CHEAP!

tomjasz said:
Typically the problems will show up quickly, t least in my experience. Well over 100 batteries. I have one that is 4 years old. All good. But I have 3 that are unsupported by UPP. If there is no issue all MAY be well. BUT recently I saw a repair photo from their EU warranty station, in DE, and is was AWFUL. I've read that buyers have gotten replacements, but only after making a replacement a full-time job.

Fail rates seem low, 3%, but if you're in the 2-4%..it's tough shit.
EM3ev and be done with it...

EDIT justchecked and I still have 4 Rechie batteries.I forgat to mention that after my time on the moon I ALWAYS bought a UPP battery WITH a spare BMS. CHEAP!

Thanks for the info! So far so good with my battery, so I'm crossing my fingers I'm not in the 2-4%.

MJSfoto1956 said:
I just ordered a customized battery pack from an AliExpress vendor who crafted a battery pack to my specs. Will report once it arrives.

How's the battery?

Back