My Bafang Ultra Mountain Bike! Frey AM1000

Hi,
Here is something I am trying to figure out, and I was wondering if you may be interested in and have the time to test for us :)

I am considering getting a bike with the Bafang Ultra, as it seems like it has the right amount of power for what I need.
I do want to use an IGH, as I don't want to deal with the Derailleur pitfalls.
Problem is not many IGH can take the power of the Ultra.

At the top of the list for strength you have the Rohloff which also offers a wide gear range (526%), but 14 gears means a lot of shifting, and it is also very expensive.
Next on the strength ladder are the 3 speed like Nexus and Sturmey archer, but with a lot less range (158% / 177%)
And you have middle of the road for strength with SA 5 speed or Alfine 8 speed (243% / 307%)
Untested will be the new NuVinci High Torque N380X (380% range but on spec not able to take the 160NM of the Ultra)

Besides the obvious need for strength, for an electric bike what you would ideally need is fewer gears, but a wide gear range so you can pedal both steep climbs and at high speed (30mph)

If we put aside the Rohloff because of the 14 gears and its price, the question becomes how much range is enough to be able to both pedal at high speed, and climb steep hills.

To help us determine that, it would help if you could test the following:
What is the highest gear you can use to get the bike going from a dead start without too much effort
What is the highest gear you can use to get the bike going up hill from a dead stop, without too much effort, and what speed can you reach at that gear.

With that info and the Nb of teeth of the sprocket and chainring and wheel outside Diameter, I can extrapolate both side of the equation, and determine the minimal Ideal gear range needed to fully exploit the Ultra.

Let me know if this is something you may want to test on occasion.
Thanks

Just to share my experience with IGH Alfine 8 combined with a bafang BBSHD: awesome!

It is working without problems for about 8 months. Chainline is good. 1,5KW peak power ok. Range is more than enough for single track riding.

Only issue to take care of is the cable regulation, its very sensible so if you don't set it well it makes noises as its going to break. But once its done ok it keeps the setting for long.

So I recommend the Alfine 8 for middrives to everyone.👍

There are two different SA 5-speeds, the newer one with the rotary shifter was designed for high torque and ebikes from the start. I used one for a few hundred miles exclusively off-road with no issues until a chain derail broke the plastic shift cable connection at the hub, something that would not have happened on the street IMHO. I only ran 1500w through it but it took it without complaint. I think I will fix it and have it laced into an appropriate rim for my recumbent and replace its Magic Pie with a BBSHD and a Phaserunner/CA3 setup, just to see what happens.

WoodlandHills said:
There are two different SA 5-speeds, the newer one with the rotary shifter was designed for high torque and ebikes from the start. I used one for a few hundred miles exclusively off-road with no issues until a chain derail broke the plastic shift cable connection at the hub, something that would not have happened on the street IMHO. I only ran 1500w through it but it took it without complaint. I think I will fix it and have it laced into an appropriate rim for my recumbent and replace its Magic Pie with a BBSHD and a Phaserunner/CA3 setup, just to see what happens.

Is that the model you are speaking of?
http://www.sturmey-archer.com/en/products/detail/rx-rk5

I'm new at this, but have done a lot of research into ebikes, some of which I believe I may understand. Like others, I would definitely like to have a suitable IGH for my ebike. However, my understanding is that it is European/Asian companies the manufacture the IGHs, and 250W-350W is what their main sales area is limited to. So they really have little incentive to make an IGH that would handle 1500W. Are there any USA manufactures of IGHs? USA seems to be the country for high-powered (albeit illegal for road use) ebikes.

dugg914 said:
I'm new at this, but have done a lot of research into ebikes, some of which I believe I may understand. Like others, I would definitely like to have a suitable IGH for my ebike. However, my understanding is that it is European/Asian companies the manufacture the IGHs, and 250W-350W is what their main sales area is limited to. So they really have little incentive to make an IGH that would handle 1500W. Are there any USA manufactures of IGHs? USA seems to be the country for high-powered (albeit illegal for road use) ebikes.

I don't know of any US manufacturer, and if indeed the power limitations in action in Europe makes it a low incentive to develop stronger IGH, Asia may be different with products like the Bafang Ultra starting to spread.

When I saw the News on SRAM terminating its production of IGH, and saying it is because of the E-bikes rise that use predominantly derailleur, I cant help but wonder if some of these people are clueless. For me it seems that ultimately the IGH should be the preferred choice on an E-bike as its only pitfall (weight and efficiency) are pretty much irrelevant on a power assisted bike.

But until the market matures further, and IGH manufacturer start to get it, we are left with little choices for strong IGH with a wide gear range.

Below is a good article on the subject in case you have not read it yet
http://www.electricbike.com/mid-drive-kit-igh/

I have Rohloff Speedhub, 14 Speeds on my e-bike and I can tell you that it is worth every penny I paid for it.
You can change gears from 1st to 14th in a second. After a couple of months of riding it became very smooth.

hoojsn said:
Drop Dead Fred said:
Ordered mine tonight!

You ordering the IGH or the bike? If the bike what is the spec?

I ordered the bike, got it in black also, upgraded the fork to a Lyrk too and got some derailleur hangers too. Thanks robocam for the color option and hangers (because yes I have broken a few). Guys, Ivy Wang is very helpful and will put up with endless emails to get it right.

Bike specs:AM1000-S.png

Definitely want to keep the bike a class 1 so will be running without a throttle!
Did 12 miles today at a 1500 vertical feet single track before the storm hits. Looking forward to getting it a trying it out.
Anyone know anywhere else to get a programing cable? Luna is out at the moment... maybe will have some when I get the bike.

That is a great idea, and it's actually something Ivy and I are discussing right now =)

Just a quick poll.

For the thumb throttle, do people want 100% power to be available regardless of the assist setting, as opposed to having it dependent on the assist level chosen (where full throttle in assist 1 would be lower in power than full throttle in assist 5)?

Do you want the thumb throttle to be enabled in assist level 0?

For me, it's yes to both.

scrambler said:
...You could also exchange his modified settings for the torque sensing programing, so you could deliver the bike with a better default...

Good to see you here!
Don't worry about the cable, if you do not have cable, we will offer you when your bike is ready!

Drop Dead Fred said:
hoojsn said:
Drop Dead Fred said:
Ordered mine tonight!

You ordering the IGH or the bike? If the bike what is the spec?

I ordered the bike, got it in black also, upgraded the fork to a Lyrk too and got some derailleur hangers too. Thanks robocam for the color option and hangers (because yes I have broken a few). Guys, Ivy Wang is very helpful and will put up with endless emails to get it right.

Bike specs:AM1000-S.png

Definitely want to keep the bike a class 1 so will be running without a throttle!
Did 12 miles today at a 1500 vertical feet single track before the storm hits. Looking forward to getting it a trying it out.
Anyone know anywhere else to get a programing cable? Luna is out at the moment... maybe will have some when I get the bike.

Im waiting for new 2018 Bafang motor M600
http://www.bafang-e.com/en/drive-systems/drive-system/max/m600-drive-system.html

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZR0gFy1xIGQ

I dont need so much power and want lighter motor, shorter chainstay, narrow q factor....
Do Frey plan to make bikes with new Bafang motor?

gidooo said:
Im waiting for new 2018 Bafang motor M600
http://www.bafang-e.com/en/drive-systems/drive-system/max/m600-drive-system.html

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZR0gFy1xIGQ

I dont need so much power and want lighter motor, shorter chainstay, narrow q factor....
Do Frey plan to make bikes with new Bafang motor?

I think those are a ways out, but should be able to go into a carbon frame and save a lot of weight. Hmmm... can you say next purchase?

robocam said:
Just a quick poll.
For the thumb throttle, do people want 100% power to be available regardless of the assist setting, as opposed to having it dependent on the assist level chosen (where full throttle in assist 1 would be lower in power than full throttle in assist 5)?
For me I don't see any reason to make the throttle dependent on the pedal assist, if you want to limit how fast the throttle goes, well, use the throttle at the level you need, this is what a throttle does :)

So my vote is throttle should always map to 100%

The only reason I would want the throttle limited is for different power modes (like street legal and off road) so you are not tempted to go over. This would mostly apply to high powered bike, but given the Ultra is above the street legal power of 350W in Europe and 750W in the US, I would like to see two power modes on the Ultra, for the US, I would want one to be limited at 750W and one unlimited.

robocam said:

I don't really understand this distinction because I don't really see the need for assist level zero. I am not getting an E-bike not to use the electric assist, so I have no use for assist level zero.
That said, I don't see any logic in disabling the throttle because the power assit would be off. If you don't want to use the throttle, then don't, no need to have it hardcoded. It is always better to have the choice.

So my vote is also to enable the throttle at pedal assist zero.

Now side question to robocam or others with the bike.
On most bikes using the Bafang (Max or Ultra) The throttle does not work from a dead stop, you have to be going a few miles per hour before it works. This is apparently because Bafang believes throttling from a dead stop may damage the motor.

Can you confirm if the throttle on the Frey works from a dead stop, or only for a few miles per hour, and if so how many.

Note: This mat be different with Ultra using the Metal reduction gear versus the original nylon one

Completly agree with scrambler suggestions about trottle.

Also support 52V battery.

Last, reducing weight around 4-5 kg would make it a winning option. Know its not easy.

Frey, I love so much my BBSHD but in my opinion you have done almost all my wishlist!

scrambler said:
robocam said:
Just a quick poll.
For me I don't see any reason to make the throttle dependent on the pedal assist, if you want to limit how fast the throttle goes, well, use the throttle at the level you need, this is what a throttle does :)

The only reason I would want the throttle limited is for different power modes (like street legal and off road) so you are not tempted to go over. This would mostly apply to high powered bike, but given the Ultra is above the street legal power of 350W in Europe and 750W in the US, I would like to see two power modes on the Ultra, for the US, I would want one to be limited at 750W and one unlimited.

robocam said:

I don't really understand this distinction because I don't really see the need for assist level zero. I am not getting an E-bike not to use the electric assist, so I have no use for assist level zero.
That said, I don't see any logic in disabling the throttle because the power assit would be off. If you don't want to use the throttle, then don't, no need to have it hardcoded. It is always better to have the choice.

On most bikes using the Bafang (Max or Ultra) The throttle does not work from a dead stop, you have to be going a few miles per hour before it works. This is apparently because Bafang believes throttling from a dead stop may damage the motor.

Can you confirm if the throttle on the Frey works from a dead stop, or only for a few miles per hour, and if so how many.

Note: This mat be different with Ultra using the Metal reduction gear versus the original nylon one

I'm with Scrambler and Robocam, throttle 100% in all modes. Sometimes I actually ride in 0 just for some serious exercise :) but have gotten caught and was able to throttle up a small steep incline to catch myself.

If most of customers prefer full power throttle, then we can set it for you at beginning before our delivery.

Drop Dead Fred said:
scrambler said:
robocam said:
Just a quick poll.

robocam said:

I'm with Scrambler and Robocam, throttle 100% in all modes. Sometimes I actually ride in 0 just for some serious exercise :) but have gotten caught and was able to throttle up a small steep incline to catch myself.

I try to answer your below question:
Bafang design the motor not 0 speed to start the throttle because of security and safety consideration under an unexpected sudden start. If want to make the throttle work, must set not 0, it can be a very little number. have you got my meaning?

FREYebikes said:
scrambler said:
robocam said:
Just a quick poll.

robocam said:

Just have a quick look at your post, you done a really good job!
Can you share about your inner gear hub and battery pack info?
If the frame back is 148*12mm, is there some IGH can fit for or how it is possible to match? and what cell do you make the battery pack?
Thank you!

Ecyclist said:
I have Rohloff Speedhub, 14 Speeds on my e-bike and I can tell you that it is worth every penny I paid for it.
You can change gears from 1st to 14th in a second. After a couple of months of riding it became very smooth.

Basically, you can change both values under assist 0 to 1 to enable the throttle in assist 0.

I don't understand the safety issue though. The bike turns on in assist 1. If I don't want it to move, I can turn it off.

FREYebikes said:
...Bafang design the motor not 0 speed to start the throttle because of security and safety consideration under an unexpected sudden start. If want to make the throttle work, must set not 0, it can be a very little number. have you got my meaning?

Attachments

• Basic screen 1.jpg
    Basic screen 1.jpg
    85.9 KB · Views: 4,030
Dropping that much weight would make it lighter than a carbon fiber Specialized Levo, but we can dream =) The Luna Cycle Apex weighs 65-75 lbs, which is about the same as the Frey at 67.4 lbs, and it's made out of carbon fiber. I'm very glad the Frey is made out of aluminum because I just don't trust carbon fiber. My friend has a Yeti SB6c, and the seat tube developed a crack. He doesn't even ride hard.

Robleman said:
...reducing weight around 4-5 kg would make it a winning option. Know its not easy...

robocam said:
Basically, you can change both values under assist 0 to 1 to enable the throttle in assist 0.

I don't understand the safety issue though. The bike turns on in assist 1. If I don't want it to move, I can turn it off.

FREYebikes said:
...Bafang design the motor not 0 speed to start the throttle because of security and safety consideration under an unexpected sudden start. If want to make the throttle work, must set not 0, it can be a very little number. have you got my meaning?

I can tell you that my BBSHD will start from 0, and if you bump it the bike takes off really easy with no rider!
I've also bumped it climbing some tough technical, really throws you off on those too. But hey all part of the experience, right.

Back