Advice on my first build: DD rear hub 48V 1000W

Chalo said:
It's easier if you just get a kit that does what you want. The Cycle Analyst is a fantastic tool and enhancement to almost any e-bike, but just setting it up amounts to learning a new set of skills.

If you can install Debian Linux, or root your phone without somebody talking you through it, you'll probably enjoy setting up the Cycle Analyst. If that sounds painful to you, maybe find a kit that doesn't require setup on the programming side.

Alright! Thanks for the comparison. Arch linux user and Android rooter here, I'm fine with doing tech stuff as long as I know that in the end it's possible and I'm not setting out on a fool's errand.

If it's possible to add the Cycle Analyst to almost any e-bike and therefore do a PAS conversion I'm in. What about the integrated controller that is in LunaCycle's smart pie? Could this pose a problem to getting access to the controller for installing the CAV3?

Mac from em3ev, the leaf, or lunatics hav3 @ geared motor that is reliable. Dogman knows th3 gear drive well.

+1 Mac kit with battery from EM3ev. Installed a kit on my mates bike, it's light, very efficient, torquey and on the 50.4v battery goes great.

Easy install and great vendor support/upgrades later if required - maybe cheaper to get some stuff elsewhere, but in the long run reliability and battery life will more than make up for it imo.

So after a long delay of trying to get PayPal to work with leaf bike, and double checking via e-mail they have told me that for their 500W hub motor "This motor is brushless with gears inside". Their web page says "direct drive Brushless Geared", somewhat contradicting itself:
http://leafbike.com/products/diy-bike-conversion-kit/26-inch-electric-hub-motor-kit/updated-version-2s-26-inch-48v-500w-rear-hub-motor-electric-bike-kit-1047.html

Anyone have some feedback on this? Are they really geared motors? I'm thinking of just pulling the trigger on the 1000W instead, which is gearless (or seems to be on their web page)

Thanks!

UPDATE: after a rapid e-mail conversation with Peter Chou from Leaf-bike apparently the 2S - 26 inch 48V 500W rear hub motor is in fact direct drive. But from what I understood, it differs from the bigger 1000W model in that it has a freewheel, although regen breaking can apparently still be used. So I've gone ahead and ordered it, will post here as the story goes on.

nezhac said:
So after a long delay of trying to get PayPal to work with leaf bike

UPDATE: after a rapid e-mail conversation with Peter Chou from Leaf-bike apparently the 2S - 26 inch 48V 500W rear hub motor is in fact direct drive. But from what I understood, it differs from the bigger 1000W model in that it has a freewheel, although regen breaking can apparently still be used. So I've gone ahead and ordered it, will post here as the story goes on.

EM3ev and MAC! Will do grades to 4%.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2018-02-24 at 1.10.17 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2018-02-24 at 1.10.17 AM.png
    45 KB · Views: 1,450
tomjasz said:
nezhac said:
So after a long delay of trying to get PayPal to work with leaf bike

EM3ev and MAC! Will do grades to 4%.

So anything more step than 4% and is the MAC going to fry or what can possibly go wrong?

Cuz I am into similar setup:
MAC + 66.6V LiPo - top 30mph is enough for me.

I will be doing quite a lot of city hills and tought this will go better than large DD.

Your opinions?

S3b4 said:
So anything more step than 4% and is the MAC going to fry or what can possibly go wrong?

I will be doing quite a lot of city hills and tought this will go better than large DD.

Your opinions?

See for yourself, an accurate calculator. http://www.ebikes.ca/tools/simulator.html

tomjasz said:
S3b4 said:

Your opinions?

See for yourself, an accurate calculator. http://www.ebikes.ca/tools/simulator.html

Sorry I am not sure how to read the results?
Can you help me with that please?
Thanks!

S3b4 said:
Sorry I am not sure how to read the results?
Can you help me with that please?
Thanks!

Here is the same config as posted above.

http://www.ebikes.ca/tools/simulator.html?bopen=false&motor=MMAC8T&batt=B5216_GA&cont=C40&black=load&k=1&grade=4

The "grade" slider on the left is set to 4%. If you increase that and click the calculate button you will see it will overheat. Have a look at the performance table in the lower right.

And be sure to also adjust throttle and human power inputs to see the estimated time when it will eventually overheat.

It's alive! I've gotten everything assembled onto a cheap used bike. I've been using it for about 2-3 weeks now, for my daily ride to work, which is about 8km one-way. On the flat I hardly use the motor, maybe at the lowest level if I'm really lazy. But as soon as it goes a little uphill then it's fantastic, I'll be cycling with the highest gear pretty much all the time.
Needed some special tools to remove the freewheel from the old rear wheel and put it onto the new one with the motor, as well as a crank puller to install the PAS.
Used tie straps (some even came with the leafbike kit!) for cable routing and I found an old little bag lying around to stuff the controller into with all the cable slack. From my usage the controller only gets slightly lukewarm, I may think about moving it out of the bag to somewhere more ventilated in the future.

Only thing I haven't figured out is how to use the regen brake. There's a group of three buttons (cf attached pictures) which are yellow, green and red. The yellow is an indicator switch, like on a motorbike, the other two are just buttons. It doesn't seem any of them actually do anything though. Anyone know how the regen brake works on these kits? I'm going to send out a mail to leafbike otherwise.

EDIT: and the cylinder lock on the battery pack just came out today :cry: luckily I didn't loose any of the small shims inside, only one of the small springs. Has anyone had this happen to them? I'm going to try using a screwdriver of some sorts to lift up the stopper so I can take the battery off the frame. I'm hoping I can then push the stopper up by hand from the outside of the battery and slide the cylinder back in and turn so it's back into its regular position
EDIT: fixed the cylinder lock! Went as expected, a screwdriver was enough to lift up the stopper and get it all back together. Still not sure how it came out though

Attachments

• IMG_20180519_170923.jpg
    IMG_20180519_170923.jpg
    203.9 KB · Views: 1,084
  • IMG_20180531_205622.jpg
    IMG_20180531_205622.jpg
    188.2 KB · Views: 1,084
  • IMG_20180605_090238.jpg
    IMG_20180605_090238.jpg
    502.7 KB · Views: 1,084
  • IMG_20180605_090247.jpg
    IMG_20180605_090247.jpg