Good Donor bike for custom 29er build

I'm building my own full suspension 29er BBSHD build and wondering if it might be cheaper to buy a donor bike than buying individual components? I'm looking for bike suggestions to get me 70% Of the way.

Typical list is
1. Front (straight tube that will fit 44mm ID) and rear shocks (165mm length).
2. 29 Rim and Tire set, 2.1 in max width
3. Hydraulic Disc brakes and rotors. Preferably 180mm rotors.
4. Headset, handlebar assembly
5. Seatpost-31.6 mm

I'll be reusing my IGH and BBSHD from my current bike.

I'm not sure what the right answer is - go donor bike or buy components.
Total Budget for all components is $1000 or so.
Look forward to suggestions.
Thanks

Buy a used bike that is high end of major brands. Even if it is 10 yr old, its component quality will beat by far what you can buy new for 1000$. Then, you will have a good frame as a bonus, for the time you may spend in components restoration.

Look for a good quality used bicycle that fits your needs.

bikesdirect.com - Ships to USA addresses only - One step above B.S.O.
pinkbike.com - Worldwide
kijiji.com - Canada
craigslist.com - Worldwide
https://classifieds.castanet.net/ - Interior BC

Are you set on 29's? You can buy nice older top of the line 26" full suspension bikes for pennies on the dollar right now since a lot of riders bought 29ers and 27.5 bikes. You probably want a pre-2012 model since you need the older style bottom bracket for the BBSHD and that's when a lot of manufacturers switched over.

I apologize for the confusion- I've already got the frame and the budget is for the components only (excluding the frame).

That is what I understood. My recommendation is for a high end used bike because they are built with very good components that would cost about twice your budget to buy new.

Off season for 1000$, it is pretty easy to find a used AM racing bike that has an impressive list of components. If you start buying new components with 1000$, it is obvious that you won’t be looking at an 800$ fork, 200$ brakes or 400$ crank... That are common on used AM racing bikes.

Back