75-5 & 75-7 Motors - Looking for Test Engineers

I would like to reiterate what Luke said about Craig...

Craig is an inspiring guy to work with. He shines brightest at that point in a project where things look impossibly difficult or complex. On more than one occasion I have walked away for a few days... come back... and he is just smiling with the solution.... built out in hardware... concept proven.

Its always an incredibly simple and obvious solution too - the one nobody thought of - and designed for manufacture-ability.
(Because he is a guy that actually manufactures things)

He is a bad-ass.

-methods

liveforphysics said:
I can vouch Craig Calfee is the real deal, has exactly what he is offering, and is an amazing human being who has been a friend for many years.

ATB,
-Luke

You guys still need some testers? Other than desert riding I can provide just about any kind of real world testing needed, whether it's continuous load like with a boat, or extreme intermittent loads like up a mountain with a continuous 20% grade with low speed switchbacks.

methods said:
I would like to reiterate what Luke said about Craig...

Craig is an inspiring guy to work with. He shines brightest at that point in a project where things look impossibly difficult or complex. On more than one occasion I have walked away for a few days... come back... and he is just smiling with the solution.... built out in hardware... concept proven.

Its always an incredibly simple and obvious solution too - the one nobody thought of - and designed for manufacture-ability.
(Because he is a guy that actually manufactures things)

He is a bad-ass.

-methods

liveforphysics said:
I can vouch Craig Calfee is the real deal, has exactly what he is offering, and is an amazing human being who has been a friend for many years.

ATB,
-Luke

I am enjoying one of his clever carbon wrapped rotors in my DSR now. Craig is an incredible mechanical genius craftsman, and really awesomely kind and driven person.

Is this motor the 75-5R as used by motostudent? If so would you happen to have the torque vs rpm curve?

The motors have been out in some (safe) test vehicles now for some time now.

We have destroyed more than a few in high stress testing (thanks Craig, for absorbing the cost of validation...)

Ultimately...
We strive to find a motor which has no failure mode at high RPM.

This motor DOES have a high RPM failure mode (obviously) in the same way that every early model Zero has a failure mode.
Its boundaries MUST be respected... like... one respects a Series Wound Forklift Motor

That said
There are motors on the Dyno, on the commissioning station, and on the shelf...

That to the best of my ability -
Appear to perform as well or better...
Than the original Zero motors of 13', 14' etc.

If you are on the screaming edge of high RPM motorcycle performance - PLEASE - go with a late model Zero where the high RPM failure modes are properly addressed.

If you are instead looking to ... work with a genius like Craig Calfee... and ... to venture out on the R&D adventure we are on...

Then buy one.
(and please do not be a cheap-ass. Craig and I and many others busted ass to get a non-proprietary Sevcon system up and running)

Craig has, at his shop... the "fixings needed"... to build the equivalent of ... a Zero Motorcycle -
But with no black box

It is very complicated and easy to screw up.
It exists ONLY due to the support of people who have MUCH more time into it than I do

Tell you this...

If you are looking to build something out of this world ->

Craig is a guy who can make that happen.

The Batteries are not where I want to see them yet.
I have the "good" BMS's sitting on my bench
Craig has the "Good" pouches sitting on his bench

The Sevcon is dialed for the most part
The harnesses are dialed
The motors are dialed

We literally cover our time on this by selling lawn clippings to the dump, collecting cans, and polishing shoes at the Airport
(ok - not literally... but you gotta understand... this is EXPENSIVE R&D...)

In the end
In the BIG PICTURE
Its about laying groundwork for projects like Formula

We melted down the lego's into the core elements and cast them in new shapes.

Thanks Craig - for the lessons and time together.
I learned a ton

-methods

If they exist you contact Craig at Calfee Design.

It has been a while and the last time I was there Craig was well into some functioning Proofs of Concept so. . . I dont know.

A lot of the desired data was collected thru Kart Racing - just FYI. I saw gobs of track data that really stressed the setups. We were lucky to team up with folks who instrument well and push hard.

-methods

Currently have a R6 with a Size6 and 75-7 motor. The motor has been modified to operate as a 6 phase motor in the future with the addition of a size4 controller. 28s of 2012 Nissan Leaf cells.

6000 RPM =110mph, usually cruise at 75 (-4100RPM) for 10-20minutes. Can really do any profile to test. Bike uses 10kW at 75mph, like 6kW at 60mph. Can do full current for 4-5sec before I'm over 80mph. I've pulled 63kW from the battery multiple times before. Currently have a sevcon clearview display to monitor motor temp. CA can DAQ the battery and vehicle, but don't have a good way to get motor data at the moment.

I wouldn't want a new motor, but I'd be willing to swap the rotor for the potential to get more RPM (7000RPM+). I assume these are SPM rotors?

0597b5720bf7f517625d559defba3b5b.jpg

c3d25e6b08b8f8b7288601abaf1fdb02.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Hello, I’m building an e-R6 with my team and I need to clarify some point. Can i Ask you some questions please. ?

Back