Cruse control on ebikes

geoff57

10 kW
Hi
Ever since I started ridding ebikes seriously the idea of cruse control has come in and gon out of fashion.
Most controllers have a rudimentary cruise control switch that freezes the voltage the controller gets from the throttle allowing you to stop turning the throttle, this could be overridden by doing one of thre things, applying the ebrakes, pressing the cruise control button or using the throttle. There was also a stand alone type that can still be found in China the problems with that were reliability, sometimes it did not engage the switches were flush with the unit forget about it working with gloves.
I always liked the idea of cruise control but always thought it had been done the wrong way, the controller activation method is all you need but how it worked after that was not locking the voltage from the throttle is a simple and easy method so I can see why it is used. A better way would be a system with feedback so the speed can be kept at a constant (this may have problems if you are going at top speed and more power cannot be applied but as long as more power is available it should work say if you had a bike capable of 30mph and you had put a speed cap of 25 mph on it).
Would such a thing be of any interest to anyone, I want to do one for myself and could probably make it available to be sold. Warning this will not be soon I have to find the code to program the device R&D price will be small so my main outlay will be in time and coding not outlay on hardware.
Geoff

I find third world cruise control works fine.

Remove the slick washer, and jam the grip against the half throttle. Makes it sticky, but still easy to flick it off when you want to slow or stop.

I have vise grips for hands though, lifetime of construction work, so I only use the sticky throttle for rides over 30 miles long.

The CA3 does that already but not everyone has one so there may be a need. I use it all the time on my road bike.

Many controllers have real speed control like you want. Set speed and power will be increased or decreased to maintain the set speed. Been around for years.

Hi
Sorry I have never come across one can you name one and the cost.
Geoff

There have been some projects (and products) for various forms of CC, with threads about them here on ES that may have info useful to you.

Some of them are in these threads, others you migh thave to do different search terms/etc to find.
https://endless-sphere.com/forums/search.php?keywords=cruise+control&terms=all&author=&sc=1&sf=titleonly&sr=topics&sk=t&sd=d&st=0&ch=300&t=0&submit=Search

My old EB-212 controller controlled constant speed. It may not have done it going down a steep hill where it would coast faster than the set speed without power but I don't recall. Haven't used that controller since 2011 and no longer have it. I'd suspect the newer EB-312's are the same.

Sorry my bad spelling should be cruise control.
I’m I to understand the EB-212 is from LYEN ,if so then that was not a speed governed CC but a throttle governed CC I should know LYEN bought his controllers from China from a guy called ecrasyman real name Gie Shie I think, the original controllers were the infinions so called because of the main chip in them, later the chip was replaced with better chips buy the name stuck, LYENs first controller were the Infineon mk 2, he had his built up in China by ecrasyman to his specific requirements in some cases even sending the chips and caps over to China to garentee the controller was what he wanted. I imported into the UK the same controllers as LYEN based his much mor powerful controllers but at the heart so all the functions mine and LYEN’s were the same,as far as power was concerned ther was no comparison he won hands down.
So belove me you may think that you had a speed governed CC but all you had was a CC that made the controller think it was reciving the voltage from the throttle that was being recived when the CC button was hit.

Amber wolf I’ll have a look at what you said.
Geoff

:) I think I know what I had. It was not a lyen controller, but came with my first 48v 1000w yescomusa kit. Since I went to higher voltage I no longer used the controller. As original in the kit it didn't have CC, regen braking, or the speed controller enabled. I had to enable those feature by adding wires inside and out.That was like 5 years ago, but I'm sure the CC was a constant speed when set. The controller I sue most now it power based CC. Not sure about the 96V controller on my 3000W mxus bike. Haven't ridden it in months and don't recall what type CC it has, but personally, for my type of riding, I prefer the power control version over the constant speed type.

Amber wolf I’ve had a read of some of the threads that your link brought up except for the CA3 they all just controll the throttle return voltage to the controller, the crystalite external CCive used before this was the on I described as unusable with gloves, I did not connect the PAS connector I found that at times not disengaging the device when the throttle was disconcerting, it’s the only thing it could do as it is not a pass through but uses a piggyback method.
What I want is to increase the ability’s of a second hand ebike/electric moped/ looks like a small petrol scooter like a Vespa but has a ebike at its heart. I can’t easily fit a CA as it is so big and the displays already there take up most for the room the first scooter I bought I did replace the display with a CA 2.4 but that display was a tacky analog display that did not work with the replacement 72v controller I used.
I have not finalised all the things I want to do they will grow over time.
I think I may have to slightly change the way most(Xie Chang) controllers cruise control works, it fixes the voltage reading from the throttle that the controller is reciving this in efect fixes the power output but not quite once the speed the throttle voltage applied is achieved the power starts to reduce this can be seen if you set CC on partial throttle.
Geoff

The CA MCU board without a display on it is quite small; it could even fit inside many controller housings.

There's at least one thread about running one "headless", if you are only using it's control functions and don't need the readouts, but I can't find it even after more than 15 minutes of poking around. :/ If I could remember who posted it it might be easier. :(

Anyway, the idea is that you setup the CA the way you want, then remove the LCD. If you have the buttons and serial connection to the computer still available, you can still make changes to the CA settings even without the LCD. If you put a socket on the CA's MCU board, you could even hook up the LCD when you need it, and leave it off when you don't.

If you add a BT module on the serial port, you can even use one of the apps developed here on ES to display the info from that port, on a tablet or android phone. I don't know all of the projects for it, or how many were finished, but there have been several started and at least one functional.

Back