700 mile charge in 1 minute

I think this one falls under the talk is cheap category. However if a Fisker solid state battery can take an enormous current while charging it could be possible. You won't get that current out of your wall socket. :lol:

Independent verification is need for this one.

:D

I took a stab at calculating the battery pack needed for 700 miles, then figured 450 Whrs/mile and my calculator went blank. Have to figure what voltage and amperage before calculating, then figure in 1 minute charge ?? I just don't see it happening.

One day it might be possible. If that happens, it will be because batteries are better, and because cars aren't as horrifying as now, and because drivers' expectations aren't stupid/callously indifferent like now.

As for Henrik Fisker, I think he's probably just talking out his ass.

The battery might be capable of it, but the wiring, connector and local supply probably won't be.

700miles x 450Wh/mi = 315kWh / (1/60) = 18,900kW = ~19MW

At 400V that's around 47,250A

Punx0r said:

Do you think I'll need 12ga house wiring for 47kA, or will 14ga do?

punxor has the same numbers I got with my calculations. I sometimes take a full 4.1v battery and connect it to a 3.0v battery to get it up to chargable voltage and the wire connection gets warm in a hurry. I'm a retired power company lineman, among other types of employment and have had huge plasma arcs over my head from
shorted transformers that would not equal 43000 amps, so I can actually visualize what the 1 minute charge would be. I vision substations glowing. :shock:

Maybe Henrik uses Kryptonite for the solid state materials ??

Chalo said:
Punx0r said:

If I extrapolate from a standard wire chart, it indicates 47kA would require a copper wire 29" in diameter (you need two).

Yes, the BS detector is going off.

You hear of people recharging high performance RC lipo in under 10mins, so assuming 5-10x better performance with a speculative, probably solid-state future battery isn't too far fetched. However, charging your RC toy battery in 60 seconds may be practical, but there's a bit of a scaling issue with a car.

Chalo said:

14 AWG should be ok as long as you keep the wiring infinitesimally short :D I hope you haven't got a big house!

On the market now - 150 miles on 10 minute charge. But you pay for it, which nets you a 400 mile pack.

Then he talks about Solid State batteries in which 500 miles for 1 minute charge. But the news anchor misheard and stated 700 miles for 1 minute charge. Which will take a very many years, if at all. What the cost is, who knows.

Yahoo is famous for its click bait article titles. Just be lucky Yahoo even posted a video for it, half the time they dont attach pictures to a story that 100% requires a picture.

I think the 700 mile in 1 minute is the theoretical "The battery won't catch fire" rate. This newer article here:

https://www.express.co.uk/life-style/cars/902345/Fisker-solid-state-electric-car-battery-range-charging-times

Says the car should charge 125miles in 9 minutes.

I use the reverse measure. Most cars seem to get about 18kwh/100km. 125 miles = 200km, 36kwh.

36kwh in 9 mins = 240kw charger required.

Imagine accidentally shorting that battery or charger...

Warranty probably says: Battery warranty void if charged above absolute zero.

On the other hand, if you could do a 200 mile charge in 30-45 min, that would work for pretty practical travel. Most folks will stop to eat at least every 200 miles.

Have to locate the charge station near someplace you would eat though, or have a cab ride that comes with the charge.

Back