la Nina rears her ugly head

http://www.ssd.noaa.gov/goes/west/nepac/h5-loop-ft.html
Tropical pitaya moisture (R) combined with a mild pineapple stream (C) creates a "smoothie" headed for SoCali this week. :mrgreen:
Storm south of the Alutes (L) will likely ride up and over.

Eskimo said:
Finland. Helsinki. Not a single drop of snow on the ground. Everything black.
Zero minutes of sunshine in december. Sky is black and the ground is black 24/7.
In mid-january we haven't had a single minute of sunshine in two months. Next week we should get some, they forecasted.
Do you ever think how it feels to live two months without a single minute of sunshine? That's your welfare state for you.
frocking submarine.

That must take some getting used to. But in the summer, you get 24 hours of daylight at times to make up for it. Seems like that would cause sleep disorders. At least I have daylight here, but I arrive at work in the dark, and it's almost dark by the time I leave, so not much different.

Well, after zero rain in December, we're getting a little now. After the rain last week, I determined the leak in my roof was not fixed and it was still leaking. I went up and looked around again and did find one small crack about 2cm long in the foam roofing material. I pumped in some calking as a temporary fix and I'll see how it works with the rain coming today.

Heat wave will likely melt off the couple of inches of snow, and then back to below -0F! ARGH! But 4 days, maybe 5, of riding ebike for errands!

Screen Shot 2018-01-08 at 10.28.01 AM.png

La Niña Rain Gage
Nothin'/Skunked-Foggy Doggy-Play Misty-Drizzle Corn-Light Showers-Steady Soaker-Bands/Sheets-Cats & Dogs
************************************************************************* :)

According to NOAA:
LA NIÑA ADVISORY

La Niña strengthened in November, and there is now a greater than 80% chance that it will continue through the winter. The event is predicted to be a weak-to-moderate strength one. The strength of an event isn't strongly linked to the strength of the impacts in the U.S., but strength does increase the likelihood that at least some level of the typical impacts will be felt. The next update will be on January 11.

It's coming down pretty good here. 2.5" since yesterday and still raining.

5:00am update: 5.0" and still drizzling. 5" is a lot of rain for a 24 hour period.
Luckily, it seems I got the leak in my roof fixed, at least for now.

Got at least an inch at my house, and just north of there towards my workplace it was even heavier, turning the streets into rivers with just hte crowns showing on some of them, even overflowing hte curbs a few places.

Was an interesting ride home in that....
https://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=67833&start=625#p1349811

A few miles southeast of here, a friend got only about half an inch.

The fingers said:
Got almost 2 1/2 inches from the storm, bad news for Montecito fire victims as mudslides kill at least 17. :cry:

They said there was over 1/2" of rain in 5 minutes that triggered the mudslides. That's an extreme rainfall rate. Luckily up in burned areas of the wine country, the rain was a bit more moderate and there were no major problems.

Yikes! California suffers again!

Freezing rain with snow on top, below zero temps back on Saturday. Weird winter!

Greetings from Finland. I have no clue does this newslink video work globally. Hopefully.
It"s like Canada. Except lot darker.

https://yle.fi/uutiset/3-10020068

Thursday
Sunny, with a high near 74.
Thursday night
A chance of rain after 10pm. Mostly cloudy, with a low around 46.
Friday
A chance of rain before 10am, then a chance of showers after 10am. Partly sunny, with a high near 60.
Friday night
A chance of showers, mainly before 10pm. Partly cloudy, with a low around 36.
Saturday
A slight chance of showers. Sunny, with a high near 60.
Saturday night
Mostly clear, with a low around 36.

Cooling trend this week, rain chance hovering at 40-50% Thursday through Saturday. :)
Death toll from the Montecito mudslide now at 20, which includes 3 children. :cry:

Oh boy, no riding until Thursday....

Attachments

• AD49F9CC-AD2E-4432-9F8B-2C3C06EB2941.jpeg
    AD49F9CC-AD2E-4432-9F8B-2C3C06EB2941.jpeg
    24.5 KB · Views: 1,104
Glad I don't live in Siberia:

Though the official temperature was "only" 74 below on Tuesday, some residents recorded temperatures as low as 88 below at their homes, the Siberian Times reported. This isn't far from 89.9 degrees below, the coldest-ever officially recorded for a permanently inhabited settlement anywhere in the world and the frostiest in the Northern Hemisphere.

According to the Weather Underground's Christopher Burt, unofficial temperatures as cold as minus 108 degrees have been measured in Oymyakon.

And winter is long and brutal there, he said: There is no record of temperatures rising above zero degrees Fahrenheit there from Dec. 1 and March 1.

As for the all-time world record cold temperature, that will almost certainly stay in Antarctica, where a reading of 128.6 below zero was recorded in 1983 at the Vostok research station.

Tonight
Partly cloudy, with a low around 45. Calm wind.
Friday
Showers likely, mainly after 4pm. Mostly cloudy, with a high near 62. Light west wind becoming southwest 5 to 10 mph in the morning. Winds could gust as high as 20 mph. Chance of precipitation is 60%.
Friday night
Showers likely, mainly before 10pm. Mostly cloudy, with a low around 33. South wind 5 to 10 mph. Chance of precipitation is 60%.
Saturday
A 20 percent chance of showers before 10am. Mostly sunny, with a high near 54. Light and variable wind becoming west 5 to 10 mph in the morning. Winds could gust as high as 20 mph.
Saturday night
Mostly clear, with a low around 34. Calm wind becoming east around 5 mph.

Three people still missing in Montecito, 101 supposed to re-open on Monday.

Desert Pacific Cali USA lows for a high in MN. Another big snow melt for two more days and then ice storms!

Where I work there wasnt' even a sprinkle, but at my house couple miles south the streets were still wet when I got home after work, and the yard was muddy. No puddles, so probably less than 1/4", but I don't know how mcuh exactly. A friend's palce a few miles away got around 1/10".

Wednesday Night
A slight chance of showers after 10pm. Mostly cloudy, with a low around 43.
Thursday
A chance of showers, mainly after 10am. Partly sunny, with a high near 64.
Thursday Night
A chance of showers. Partly cloudy, with a low around 36.

http://www.weather.gov/images/sgx/WxStory/WeatherStory4.png?0d1e5a48f6e9aef8aaa611369c194b5e :shock:
Rain chance has evaporated from the forecast. :(
Highs could reach the 80s by next week. :D
High pressure dominates the SoCali region in this satellite view:
http://www.ssd.noaa.gov/goes/west/nepac/h5-loop-ft.html

Back