19" Motorcycle Wheels vs 26" Bicycle Wheels (rim and tires)

joe81 said:
I tried in vain with CNebikes and evelbike.
they said they cannot offer the big motors with cross patterns. I also tried pushing them to do 3x or 4x on their front wheel... nope. seems I am the only one asking them

Custom build a wheel if you feel fruity enough I give it a go and done a 16-1.60 moped rim to a 36h disc front hub with a 3 cross pattern the spokes where expensive mind £70 for the set but they where custom made for me two sightly differing length 12gauge spokes with 6.4mm nipple heads opened the flange holes out on the hub from 2.5mm to 3.0mm and all went together decent.

I laced my hub motor too with a 1 cross pattern I used a 16-2.15 moped rim and 9 gauge spokes little bit more tricky to true I had to build a truing rig but other than that same as front but heavier.

Front wheel weighs 1.35kg no tyre rear weighs 11kg if I can remember correct but these moped rims and tyres dint play nice I've spent £70 on tyres that will not fit I had to go back to 20 inch far bike tyres luckily the extra girth off the wider than bmx style rim gives them a nice seated area to support the side wall so it's not bouncy castle time.

footbaldd said:
minde28383

What tires and size are those? I have the shinko 244 right now, but would like to try some street tires too.

Bike in pic is not mine, but from pic I guess road tyres:
rear 17'' 3.25''/3.5''
front 17'' 3''

I choose 18'' 2.75'' Mitas brand multi purpose tyre for my qs205 9kv to be used with 72v.

Attachments

• IMG_20180819_111305.jpg
    IMG_20180819_111305.jpg
    34.9 KB · Views: 3,549
If a running a 17 or 18" mc rim, the Michelin M62 Gazzelle is probably the best road tire option around. Either a 3.00-17 or a 3.00-18. I ran this tire briefly on my Bomber, it was awesome on the pavement, including wet pavement, but was only so/so on dirt, which is why I switched back to the SR241.

https://www.bikebandit.com/tires-tubes/motorcycle-tires/michelin-gazelle-m62-moped-tire/p/3758

Offroader said:
What sucked about all this was I was the furthest from my home, all the way up at central park, this is the furthest I ever go with my bike.

I just rode 12 km (7.5 miles) on a flat FRONT tire. You shoulda seen the peoples faces on the pathways as I came up from behind them, oh it was hilarious :lol:

What happened was I originally got a rear flat, carried a spare and pounded it out in reasonable amount of time, but the rear tire had a sidewall tear that I knew of, put that rear tire up front. New tube in rear, reused front tube. Rode a block and front tire blew, went to a 7-eleven 2 blocks away and I was shocked that they wanted $1.50 for air, I voiced my concerns to myself and swore as people looked. I didnt have a psi guage, so I paid the greedy franchise owners air price, perhaps its going to charity. I am done buying used tires, only new from now on!

I will look for narrow DOT motorcycle tires under 2.50 size, in 26" bicycle which is what in motorcycle size? 21"?

markz said:
Offroader said:
What sucked about all this was I was the furthest from my home, all the way up at central park, this is the furthest I ever go with my bike.

I just rode 12 km (7.5 miles) on a flat FRONT tire. You shoulda seen the peoples faces on the pathways as I came up from behind them, oh it was hilarious :lol:

What happened was I originally got a rear flat, carried a spare and pounded it out in reasonable amount of time, but the rear tire had a sidewall tear that I knew of, put that rear tire up front. New tube in rear, reused front tube. Rode a block and front tire blew, went to a 7-eleven 2 blocks away and I was shocked that they wanted $1.50 for air, I voiced my concerns to myself and swore as people looked. I didnt have a psi guage, so I paid the greedy franchise owners air price, perhaps its going to charity. I am done buying used tires, only new from now on!

I will look for narrow DOT motorcycle tires under 2.50 size, in 26" bicycle which is what in motorcycle size? 21"?

yah, a 21MC rim is closest to a 26MTB wheel. But you will need to lace your front to a 21MC rim to make it work as a 26"MTB rim is actually 22" OD.

markz said:
Offroader said:

I am a firm believer in using tubeless for ease of repairs roadside or in the woods. But the big problems is with sidewalls failure. I still feel for most of the riders tubeless is the way to go, and the repair kits for tubeless are tiny. A repair can be done in less then a minute including airing up the tire. If sidewalls goes south a spare inner tube in your pack along with those old type repair patches that are vulcanized onto rubber might do the trick. Tire off, patches across sidewall damage and a fresh innertube should get you home without any further problems. Just remember to take it easy across potholes and bumps, damaged sidewalls can still cave in after they are patched up if you hit hard on something.

Hello first post here on endless.
I am having an issue finding a reliable front hub for my dnm usd 8 110x20mm thru axle, that will also accommodate thicker spokes and mate to moto rim 20in. x 1.6. A youtube video I saw said that it was quite the engineering feat to mate a motorcycle hub to a bicycle rim. Hard to tell if the adverse is as difficult

JaketheBenevolent said:
Hello first post here on endless.
I am having an issue finding a reliable front hub for my dnm usd 8 110x20mm thru axle, that will also accommodate thicker spokes and mate to moto rim 20in. x 1.6. A youtube video I saw said that it was quite the engineering feat to mate a motorcycle hub to a bicycle rim. Hard to tell if the adverse is as difficult

you need Holmes moped nipples to mate moto rim to dh bike hub (or nipple washers)..
https://holmeshobbies.com/bike-and-moped/spokes.html

or a front hub designed for larger gauge moped /moto spokes, such as motoped or denzel : http://www.eastgem.net/hub.html

some ppl even drilled out their hub spoke holes a bit to take larger gauge spokes (not really recommended though)..

Anyone knows if it is posible to use a 14" motorbike tyre on a 18" bicycle rim?

chucho said:
Anyone knows if it is posible to use a 14" motorbike tyre on a 18" bicycle rim?

18" bicycle rim does not exist , got any links??
or do you mean from a kids bike?? what's your application
if the rim and tire have the same bead seat diameter then it may work..
(i run a 14" moto tire And moto rim on my street motoped) ..

When you lace the front wheel and use a motor rim,
what brand do you use for the regular front bike hub.
Sram, xtr, hope...?

mati said:
When you lace the front wheel and use a motor rim,
what brand do you use for the regular front bike hub.
Sram, xtr, hope...?

anything dh or heavy duty that fits your fork and brakes.. or a "motored bike" hub such as denzel, motoped, etc..

Can someone tell me how to get a dirt bike look,
21x1.6 rim front and 19x2.15 rim rear.?
What tires to get, so diameter will be almost the same on both wheels.?

What type of motor are you running? If you run a hub motor you don't want to try to make rear wheel same size as 21" front wheel. The smaller OD on the rear wheel the more torque and acceleration for the bike.

Btw dirt bikes don't have same size wheel, usually 21" front and 18 or 19" rear. Rear wheel is noticeable smaller.

your tire choice will be limited to what will fit in your frame and fork and weight consideration.. what diameter and width are you running now, measure your current tire width and frame fork clearance then get whatever will fit similar.. for most offroad bike forks 2.75" width max front tire in 19 or 21" moto rim diameter, or stick with front bike wheel to keep it lighter with 26 or 27.5 bike front wheel and tire (OD) to match your fork..
with the rear wheel you would not want a full size dirt bike rim and tire (too heavy and overkill without the power to match).. if its a rear hub motor stay small diameter if possible 16, 17 or 18" .. the rear frame may fit a bit wider tire but usually not much wider
than ~3", check your frames tire clearance.. use dirt bike front rim and tires even on the rear, because they are lighter weight than rear rims and tires.. rim width should correspond to tire width, 1.4 or 1.6 for front, 1.6 or 1.85 for rear .. if you want a dirt bike look then add some plastics .. :banana:

I'm have a regular rear hub with 2.6mm holes for spokes and I can get a rim with custom drilled holes,
but I'm unsure what size rim holes I should get.
Same size as the rear hub 2.6mm or bigger due to the nipples.?

mati said:
I'm have a regular rear hub with 2.6mm holes for spokes and I can get a rim with custom drilled holes,

with 12gauge spokes and Holmes moped nipples you should not need a custom rim drilling.. and the larger head moped nipples will be more durable and easier to tension..

reference :
https://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=55458&p=1040341#p1040341

efMX Trials Electric Freeride said:
mati said:

with 12gauge spokes and Holmes moped nipples you should not need a custom rim drilling.. and the larger head moped nipples will be more durable and easier to tension..

reference :

I'm trying to buy sm pro wheel rims and the rim size that I want to buy have no holes.
Also got this from sm pro wheel.
"Please confirm with me what bike model you have? It is not so simple to just drill the correct width of holes, it’s all about the angles to suit different hub types."

What angles?? should i use with hope pro 4 12x150mm rear hub.?

I'm totally lost here on wheel building any help would be nice from a fellow member.

mati said:
mati said:

reference :

I'm trying to buy sm pro wheel rims and the rim size that I want to buy have no holes.
Also got this from sm pro wheel.
"Please confirm with me what bike model you have? It is not so simple to just drill the correct width of holes, it’s all about the angles to suit different hub types."

What angles?? should i use with hope pro 4 12x150mm rear hub.?

I'm totally lost here on wheel building any help would be nice from a fellow member.

motorcycle rims are "dimpled" and drilled to match the spoke angle to the hub.. tell them it is for a custom electric bike, the hub you intend to use and its dimensions .. you should also probably do more wheel building research or consider a professional wheel builder.. (perhaps a novice should not be building a wheel that may see highway speeds, for safety reasons)..

wheel building tips :
https://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=64324

Sorry for a silly question, but would a 24" bicycle tire (75-507 ISO Berm Master) fit on a 19" motorcycle rim?

Duncan75 said:
Sorry for a silly question, but would a 24" bicycle tire (75-507 ISO Berm Master) fit on a 19" motorcycle rim?

no, a 24" bicycle rim has about ~20" bead seat diameter not 19".. to fit a 24" bike rim you would need a denzel ebike tire 24x3 or a vintage 20" motorcycle tire (expensive and hard to find bc no longer in production).. if you already have a 19" moto rim then there are no bicycle tires to fit that and they wouldn't last under motor power if they did fit.. what is your objective, what bike is it for and how much power??

no, a 24" bicycle rim has about ~20" bead seat diameter not 19".. to fit a 24" bike rim you would need a denzel ebike tire 24x3 or a vintage 20" motorcycle tire (expensive and hard to find bc no longer in production).. if you already have a 19" moto rim then there are no bicycle tires to fit that and they wouldn't last under motor power if they did fit.. what is your objective, what bike is it for and how much power??

A Mxus 5k in a 19" rim is on its way to my house so I need a tire for it, I have one 24X3 Berm Master lying around and thought I might ask if it would fit.
I'll figure something out.

That will be one heavy rear wheel, the weight alone kind of dictate the tire choices. You need the added layers and stronger side walls from a motorcycle/mx tire to have a longer tire life. I know some will say you save weight by choosing bicycle tire, but as heavy as your wheel is already the weight savings from choosing a light weight bicycle tire over a mx tire is nothing. Your bike will not handle any better, because the weight is already there in the motor, rim and spokes.

mc/mx tires gives you more peace of mind, less chance to fail, imho go for the higher quality tire that will last longer, have better puncture resistance and much stronger side walls. For a more comfy ride, try to find a tire with "more walls" and ride with tire pressure just a bit on the low side.

Back