Snow Beast Refurb

DrkAngel

1 GW
2008 eZip Mountain Trailz ... purchased new in 2008 - $395
51dLNB8-VxL.jpg

24V 450w cruised at ~16mph but was afflicted with 16lb of 10Ah Lead Acid batteries.
Ran daily and converted to 36V. When controller died installed 36V 25Ah eZip scooter controller and 36V led throttle.
Experimented with recycled laptop cells and built my 1st 36V Lithium batteries.

Later in 2008, I got a bargain on a 2008 eZip Trailz (smooth road tires and "stealth" black).
Set aside the Mountain Trailz`till Winter

Suffered through the Winter of 2008-09 on Mountain tread tires ...
... vowed to find a better way ...
2009 purchased cheap Innova studded tire, worked good but steel studs wore right off on bare roads.
Decided to build my own studded tires, with replaceable studs. After a bit of hunting I finally decided on building my own Winter tires using 3/8 & 1/2" sheet metal screws. - Homemade Studded Tires
Winter of 2009-10 was born ...
the Snow Beast
Dedicated Winter vehicle with:
675 watt output motor, geared for max output near 17mph
studded tires
comfy-weatherproof seat set low to ski with feet
flashing front and rear lights

Winter of 2017-18 ...
10th Winter for the Snow Beast
Usually I take to the car wash and wash and hotwax the Snow Beast for Summer storage.
But these past couple years, either I forgot to hit the hotwax button ... or carwash owner ran out of wax or, as many suspect, there is no hot wax.
Anyhow, Snow Beast is turning into rust heap.
Freed up all cables, brakes, chain, derailleur etc
Trued and checked wheels and brakes
Strapped on 33.3V 43.2Ah six-pack battery and took off ... oops!

Throttle lit up but no fire from the motor?
Seems T-plug I added for motor quick disconnect got corroded. Couldn't get it apart till using dual pliers method, and broke 1 wire in the process. Just cleaned T-plug and pushed wire back into heatshrink and was able to get motor going for test.
Chain skips! Stretched from 10 Winters of use and rust!?

Starting to tally up repair list ...
T-plug replaced with, more weather resistant XT60
New chain
Oops ... rear wheel feels-sounds "gritty" ... bigtime!

Major project!
Wheel has 10 year, Winter hardened freewheel with no removal notches!

New repair list:
T-plug replaced with, more weather resistant XT60
New chain (ordered "stainless" chain. so might do later)
All new cables
New-used derailleur - does not lift chain for step to larger sprocket
Rust removal - removable parts soaked in vinegar for a week clean perfectly!

Wheel rebuild - project unto itself
Only eZip wheel to never have suffered broken spokes!
So, need to cut off oem 20T motor side freewheel
Disassemble, clean, inspect, repair-rebuild axle-hub
Inspect, test spokes-wheel and true up.
Install 22T motor side freewheel for more torque at lower speed

33.3V battery is too large-awkward and 33.3V hits controllers 31V LVC too soon, especially when battery cold.

BigBat1.jpg
Will drop 3x 36V 4.4Ah hoverboard packs into eZip battery case for 36V 13.2Ah battery. (These Samsung cells have great output and cold weather performance!)

IMG_8536.jpg

Too cold to ride, single digits this morning, so might make good progress this weekend?

Not "left out in the weather!"
"Run in the weather"... for 10 years!

Great on fresh snow
Good on ice
Good on snow (to 1"+) over ice
Almost tolerable with accursed brownish salt-snow crud
SBR1.jpg
SBR3.jpg
SBR4.jpg
SBR5.jpg
But not just your normal weather!
We're talking Upstate New York with liberal salt on the streets!
Salt eats up steel and aluminum.

Kickstand and seat tube clamp were chrome plated steel!

Got lazy ...
Multiple of my old eBikes have AC plug connection to batteries,

file.php

rather than converting everything, I just made a little adapter for my newer 37v packs.

AC - XT60.jpg

Yes, Snow Beast refurb going slow ... SS pedal chain is in the States (from China) now so might be able to accomplish during this nasty cold snap ... lasting into next week.

-45C (-40F) a few days ago now to 0C (33F)
ebiking with only my speedo on today 8)

Them rusty bits give the bike character and age, plus its a built in anti-theft device.

Out of necessity ... finally progressed on fix-up.
Motor side freewheel failed!

Pulled wheel and motor,
removed chain (2 inches longer than same tooth count replacement),
Replaced failing T-Plugs with XT60's,

20T.jpg

Built new wheel motor combo
Used spare wheel, will dismantle and rebuild SB wheel later.
Replaced 20T oem motor freewheel with 22T, for more torque,
built longer motor chain 9T >> 22T needs 30T (15 links)
heated chain (hair dryer) and coated with Finish Line "Wet" chain lube, worked in till chain "flowed" smoothly
replaced 14-28T oem 7spd with 14-34T, for more, pedal, torque
Reassembled with new shiny nuts n such

22T.jpg

Runs nice ... but still need to replace derailleur, chain and cables, for full function.

2007-08-09 eZip motor freewheel removal is problematic.

file.php

Freewheel has no removal tans or notches.
There are 2 pitiful detents, but are in a pressed fit sidewall

file.php

When new, before motor is run, it has been possible to remove using them, but after motoring on, or weathered removal requires more drastic-creative measures!
Various methods involve:
Cutting sprocket ring off then using pipe wrench;
Placing freewheel in strong vise, crushing sprocket, turning wheel
Heating, torch, can help

The 22T Ditca replacement freewheel, similarly has only the small detents.
I am hoping to be able to remove ... coated threads with FelPro C5-A anti-seize lubricant.
A grease-copper-graphite lubricant. I also use to enhance-protect electrical connections!

Motor side requires a LHS (Left Hand Screw) freewheel available, almost exclusively, from ACS who produces 16-18-20T models.
Ditca supplies the lesser quality 22T I am using on this eBike. I am looking to provide the most torque and 20mph "legal" from 36V on the 24V 450w eZip. @ 36V 450w motor is capable of ~675 watt output. With the volting up and gearing down, performance is greatly enhanced!!!

DrkAngel said:
Ditca supplies the lesser quality 22T I am using on this eBike. I am looking to provide the most torque and 20mph "legal" from 36V on the 24V 450w eZip. @ 36V 450w motor is capable of ~675 watt output. With the volting up and gearing down, performance is greatly enhanced!!!
My favorite ...
MY1018z 24V 450w motor @ 25.9V and geared 20 >> 16T for 20mph cruising
vs
MY1018z 24V 450w motor @ 36V and geared 20 >> 22T for 20mph slogging through slush and snow
(20mph estimated via knobby studded tires, through nasty road, in the cold)

Unite 20mph.jpg

Right on cue, "Stainless Steel" pedal chain arrived from China ... yes, sticks to magnet ... oh well, will have to monitor for any sign of rust.
Chain no longer "skips". Did arrive nicely lubricated!

s-l400.jpg

Ordered up better quality chain for the motor side

file.php

Heavy construction and nickel plating should enhance extend life and reliability.
Bonus! 112L allows 4 chains.

Attachments

• Z410.jpg
    Z410.jpg
    45 KB · Views: 3,867
Was able to get a 16" pipe wrench on outer ring, After stomping on wrench I finally started it turning by pounding with large rubber mallet.

file.php

Freewheel promptly fell apart.

freewheel.jpg

Disassembled hub and bearing races seem smooth and in good condition.

hub.jpg

I am faced with a dilemma!
Spokes are rusted and frozen, rim is worn with a bit of dishing.

spokes.jpg

But wheel is still true with no dents or wobble.

Do I cut all the spokes, replace rim and build new wheel?
or
Simply and easily, put back together with new bearings?

Decided to quick rebuild as spare ...
Will keep handy for quick-temporary use.

Soaking all nuts-n-such in vinegar, so I have time to change my mind.
1 week soak in standard vinegar seems to clean up rust nicely!
Wire brush to remove resultant black scale.
Important to protect bare metal after cleaning!
Will start to surface rust immediately!
I clean-polish with steel wool and pastewax, chapstick works in a pinch.
Furniture polish with wax?

Patina ! ... ?

Damn ... starting to like my Snow Beast ... too much?

Geared low >> volted up, with good battery!
Roads are clear enough that I can open it up, has great acceleration till near 18mph, then settles up to 21+.
The fine product of gearing for specific application. Spoiling me, might rig a cruiser similarly for Summer use. Fun, is that it is running off a restricted current controller, 24V oem was 35A, swapped for a 36V 25A. EBikes.ca simulator shows 37V pushing MY1018z towards 750w w/35A controller!

Probably 6000+ 36V hard miles on the Beast, motor still feels smooth and strong. The original MY1018z, not the quieter XYD-16, has more power and whines like a banshee ... studded tires adding their own sonic signature!

Last major item is derailleur, cables and , now, shifter.
Shifter was previously "repaired" with duct tape :oops: .

Problem is ... oem shifter is a 7 speed "reverse built" for left side placement, placing a "normal" 7 speed shifter on the left side produces an awkward direction shift.
So, I have decided to test various trigger shifters. Will try right side, inside brake lever but also left side in upside down position, with a possibly natural feel of thumb shifting below bar, sacrificing visual gear indication.

Cheap trigger shifters from ~$5.

Trigger.jpg

Amazing free shipping can be offered from China on a sub $5.00 item!

Raisedeyebrows said:
By longstanding international agreement "postal service" fees are collected by sending country.
In a perfect world this would even out, every country would send like amounts of postage and receive equal fees.
China, seeing the benefit of accumulated foreign currency, supplements all postage leaving the country.

So, Chinese export for nearly free and the US postal service receives nothing for delivering!

I will be receiving items valued at, possibly, $20 plus $5 shipping for less than $5.

DrkAngel said:
Last major item is derailleur, cables and , now, shifter.
Shifter was previously "repaired" with duct tape :oops: .

Problem is ... oem shifter is a 7 speed "reverse built" for left side placement, placing a "normal" 7 speed shifter on the left side produces an awkward direction shift.
So, I have decided to test various trigger shifters. Will try right side, inside brake lever but also left side in upside down position, with a possibly natural feel of thumb shifting below bar, sacrificing visual gear indication.

Cheap trigger shifters from ~$5.

Trigger.jpg
Received 7spd right shifter, seems solid and has Shimano label! (overrun from Shimano contract?)
Might work well on right side, with half twist throttle? Will test on left side in upside down position also.

Front left shifter (3spd) is non-indexed and fairly stiff and awkward, but has enough travel to operate as rear shifter.

DrkAngel said:
Raisedeyebrows said:
By longstanding international agreement "postal service" fees are collected by sending country.
In a perfect world this would even out, every country would send like amounts of postage and receive equal fees.
China, seeing the benefit of accumulated foreign currency, supplements all postage leaving the country.

So, Chinese export for nearly free and the US postal service receives nothing for delivering!

I will be receiving items valued at, possibly, $20 plus $5 shipping for less than $5.
What? China is ripping us off? Does the President know about this?

gogo said:
DrkAngel said:
Raisedeyebrows said:

What? China is ripping us off? Does the President know about this?
Hells ... why do you think T--Rump imports so much from China?

"Several Trump Home items are listed as made in China or imported from China — mirrors, ceramic vases, wall decorations, kitchen items and lighting fixtures. "

"Trump hotel items

Many hotel amenities at Trump’s hotels were manufactured overseas and imported. Trump Hotel pens were made in China or Taiwan, and imported into the United States via South Korea. Shampoo, body wash, moisturizers, shower caps, laundry bags, show bags, pet collars, pet leashes and bath towels at Trump hotels are all listed as made in China."

Has Donald Trump ever ridden a bicycle? Possible he never graduated from tricycle, he's definitely not motorcycle material.

By the way your photos of the greasy sprocket are wonderful, looking at those I can almost taste the grease! Makes me want to immediately run to the nearest safety clean tank and get busy.

Snow came early!
Snow Beast begins it's 11th Winter ...
Ditca 22T LHS (Left Hand Screw) motor side freewheel rusted solid over the Summer. Fortunately I had a spare.
Would have to cut old freewheel off, or maybe tack weld and put a pipe wrench to it? Will worry about it later!
Set up a spare eZiip wheel, one with "real" SS spokes.
Chinese SS pedal chain developed a nice orange coating of rust, but still flexed nicely ... got a fresh oil lube.

Been bombing around on semi clear streets. Forgot how improved the downgeared-upvolted eZip performs!

Raisedeyebrows said:
Has Donald Trump ever ridden a bicycle? Possible he never graduated from tricycle, he's definitely not motorcycle material.

By the way your photos of the greasy sprocket are wonderful, looking at those I can almost taste the grease! Makes me want to immediately run to the nearest safety clean tank and get busy.

Free KY

Swapped rebuilt eZip wheel is slightly off center and needs relocation via spoke adjustment. Will properly "true" during next fair weather period.
I rebuilt 3 eZip wheels with spoke problems and 1 with a bad bearing cup, last Summer (only roughly centered and trued). 2 w/13ga SS and 1 w/14ga SS. All spokes supplemented with washers at elbows to correct eZip thin flange design defect.
See - eZip Broken Spokes - Solution

Really highlighted the rust deterioration of brake pad hardware. had to remove, wire brush and lube metal components to be able to properly adjust.

Back