The steepest hills

Treehugger.com?? Hahahah, probably some whiners that had their pedals blown off by an ebiker. :lol:

I always slow down when I pass cyclists so they can get a good look at an ebike. Especially funny is when they start pedaling faster as they see me approaching.

Lowell said:
Treehugger.com?? Hahahah, probably some whiners that had their pedals blown off by an ebiker. :lol:

I always slow down when I pass cyclists so they can get a good look at an ebike. Especially funny is when they stard pedaling faster as they see me approaching.
That's so cruel, I thought I was the only one that did that in public :twisted:

Yeah, I have noticed a developing divide between cyclist and e-bikers. Mainly the cyclist hate the e-bikes because they can go faster, but I just shrug it off and zoom up that steep hill like I was Lance Armstrong x 4 :lol:

Yeah, I have noticed a developing divide between cyclist and e-bikers. Mainly the cyclist hate the e-bikes because they can go faster, but I just shrug it off and zoom up that steep hill like I was Lance Armstrong x 4 :lol:

Just wait until 20-50 years from now when the digital divide is between cybornetically enhanced humans and the neo-luddites. :shock:

fechter said:
Holy S*it! - that's a steep hill.
I'd be afraid to go down that.

My thoughts exactly! Especially in the wet, those cobblestones or whatever they are don't inspire much confidence.

I took my Vego up a local street called Esmeyer Drive in San Rafael.
I was able to motor up to the highest part at around 15mph.

On the way down, my brakes almost completely faded.

Here's the profile of the hill using National Geograpic Topo:

The upper portion is an AVERAGE 15% grade.

Attachments

• Esmeyer Grade 2.jpg
    Esmeyer Grade 2.jpg
    20.2 KB · Views: 5,399
  • Esmeyer Grade 1.jpg
    Esmeyer Grade 1.jpg
    18.7 KB · Views: 5,398
I tried Royal Oak hill in Burnaby, BC the other day and managed a steady 57km/h heading south between Deer Lake Parkway and Kingsway. I looked online, but couldn't find any info on percent grade. Anyone know where to find that info?

It turns out the city of Burnaby has fantastic topographical data on their web site! The middle of Royal Oak ave has exactly 12.77% grade. So my bike goes 35.4mph up a 12.8% grade carrying a 7lb charger/rack assembly and my work backpack of about 10lbs.

Lowell said:

Stewardson Way in New Westminster, BC: 55ft rise in 1290ft = 4.26%. My best speed up that hill is 47.8mph, and at that speed wind and an aero tuck make a big difference. Normally I top out around 44-45mph up that hill in comfort.

The video didn't have the wide angle so when climbing the hill it was pointed at the ground too much.The trip included going down to the ocean then back to where I started in 11.1 miles using 6.4 amp hours on 72 volt pack.Also using one gear ratio.You may notice that it took anout 4 amp hours to go about 4 miles up a average 20* grade.with a 2000 ft elevation rise in 2o minutes.Now lets see a hub motor ebike do the same.

http://tinyurl.com/ynsh69

Here is the video..
http://tinyurl.com/3ad8g2
http://tinyurl.com/yp8378

Attachments

• drawGraph.png
    drawGraph.png
    600 bytes · Views: 5,330
I'm confused...

is that a 4mi run with a 2000' rise?

that would work out to a 9.4% grade.

4 x 5280 = 21120 2000/21120 = .0946

:?:

EbikeMaui said:
Lowell said:
Seems like every time a story is retold, the grade becomes a little steeper... :lol:
If the steepest part of the was 30% and you couldn't do that what would the average grade matter?

For the sake of discussion we can say the average is 10%.

18mph, 50lb MTB, 160lb rider, 10% grade = 976 watts to the road... for 20min continous.

Seems like it might be doable...

:)

TylerDurden said:
EbikeMaui said:
Lowell said:
Seems like every time a story is retold, the grade becomes a little steeper... :lol:
If the steepest part of the was 30% and you couldn't do that what would the average grade matter?

For the sake of discussion we can say the average is 10%.

18mph, 50lb MTB, 160lb rider, 10% grade = 976 watts to the road... for 20min continous.

Seems like it might be doable...

:)
Get out the Xlyte dyno caculator to see how a loaded hub motor reacts at 18 mph burning up half of the 9oo watts in heat.Better yet lets a ViDEO of a 2000 ft rise climb no matter how long it takes.
http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=1920300182082053937

DanEL said:
I live near Pittsburgh PA.

Lycras criticize me for desiring a pedal-assist bike for commuting.

I don't think they have any idea of what the hills are like around here - not miles long like you would find in the Rockies but very, very steep with no flat parts.

I'm hoping that pedelecs, ebikes (whatever) get more popular around here. We've got great bike trails (former railroad tracks) but the roads sure could be made more bike friendly.

DanEL,

Absolutely! I'm from Pittsburgh as well. The hills are the main reason I'm adding electric assist. They're also the reason I've purchased gears for the project. The secondary reason for an electric assist is to better maintain speed with the flow of traffic, since it's often necessary to take the lane around here.

I'm more than a little disappointed that an e-bike with gears may not be legal in Pennsylvania.

Anyway, here are some more Pittsburgh hills (just listing some above 20%).

• 37% Canton Avenue
    32% Dornbush Street
    29% Boustead Street
    28% East Woodford Avenue
    24% Rialto Street
    23% Hampshire Avenue
    22% Capital Avenue
    22% Fallowfield Avenue
    22% Potomac Avenue
    21% Flatbush Avenue
    21% Belasco Avenue
    20% Walbridge Street
    20% Dagmar Avenue

wren said:
DanEL said:
I live near Pittsburgh PA.

Lycras criticize me for desiring a pedal-assist bike for commuting.

I don't think they have any idea of what the hills are like around here - not miles long like you would find in the Rockies but very, very steep with no flat parts.

I'm hoping that pedelecs, ebikes (whatever) get more popular around here. We've got great bike trails (former railroad tracks) but the roads sure could be made more bike friendly.

DanEL,

Absolutely! I'm from Pittsburgh as well. The hills are the main reason I'm adding electric assist. They're also the reason I've purchased gears for the project. The secondary reason for an electric assist is to better maintain speed with the flow of traffic, since it's often necessary to take the lane around here.

I'm more than a little disappointed that an e-bike with gears may not be legal in Pennsylvania.

Anyway, here are some more Pittsburgh hills (just listing some above 20%).

• 37% Canton Avenue
    32% Dornbush Street
    29% Boustead Street
    28% East Woodford Avenue
    24% Rialto Street
    23% Hampshire Avenue
    22% Capital Avenue
    22% Fallowfield Avenue
    22% Potomac Avenue
    21% Flatbush Avenue
    21% Belasco Avenue
    20% Walbridge Street
    20% Dagmar Avenue
Dam ! The world is NOT flat after all.

Hi Randy

Yes it is good going up a 20% grade using only that much power and yes your system is efficient nobody is denying that but most people don't need their bikes to do this? also the hub motor geared or not is far simpler than what you have done for people to add to their bikes.

Your concept is a good one Randy there is no doubt and maybe it would work as a mass production bike system if made properly again nobody would argue that however as an add on kit its a little more impractical and as most people don't need the sort of hill climbing ability that you need then there is a very limited market for a dual chain driven kit with an expensive hub, you may have the skills but most e-bikers are not as practical, like them or loathe them the simple hub motor even with all its inefficiency is a good all rounder?

10 million sold last year in China alone!!

You have been talking up this system for so long now we all know about it Randy and again yes its a good idea but your constant bragging just wears people down, when folks have spent 1000's of dollars on e-bike kit and come here for some friendly advice they dont need to be told they have bought a pile of shit when they havent? as they don't need motors to climb volcanoes.

Also Randy don't forget your bike in most countries would be illegal due to its output power, I doubt it would climb any better than any current geared alternative at 250-500W and again its illegal to use on the road around your volcanoes again not much Market for it in Hawaii. I cant see the Chinese changing their designs any time soon Randy.

I agree with you that gears are a better option for hill climbing than none geared systems, that's why I also use gears as well on my USPD and in the Puma, I haven't found a hill yet that I have slowed under 10mph and can climb using similar power to what you are using.

Its a shame Randy as maybe with a bit more diplomacy you may have been able to get your system off the ground properly a few years back but if you treated your business partners the same way you do the folks on this board I very much doubt you would get past the first meeting.

Leopard spots etc etc.

Knoxie

10 million hub motors sold? That's a lot of asses! :lol:

I think someone is just bitter that the world doesn't see ebikes his way. 10 million people must be wrong... :roll:

Back