Sur-Ron - New Mid drive Bike

VIN is an acronym for vehicle identification number
If the manufacturer assigned a VIN to their product then it is authentic as the number is relevant.
Whether it is compatible with registration regulations in your country is irrelevant to the term authentic.
The bikes in question are off road bikes not road bikes.
I am sure that the manufacturer is aware of what they need to do in the future if they intend to sell a road registrable model.
In case they don’t I will get them to contact nofanbois as he seems to be all over everything.

Surron are working on a street/ sports bike motorcycle so I'm sure they've have proper VINs , either by request now on these existing bikes or in the very near future. Not that it's of any concern to anyone who doesn't own one of these bikes and has the intention to register it.

Rix said:
Looks great Jay. BTW, are still of the impression to leave this machine stock power wise? I just find it very un Hyena like to leave things stock :lol:

heh yeah I usually can't leave things alone, and after jumping back on my alpha it DOES have a heap more punch, but I dont really miss it on the surron. It's actually nice the be able to mash the throttle and hoon around without having to be ever vigilant that it wont jump up and bite you when you least expect it. That said, never say never :) I'm still riding the bike like I stole it and if the controller happens to give out, I'd be keen to upgrade it. Though as above it IS supposedly under warranty if anything goes wrong.

I got some interesting discharge data today. I did the first full discharge cycle and it seems the gauge is fairly conservative, or as NoFanBoiz would have it, inaccurate.
I got it down to sub 10% capacity on a 50+ km ride then did laps around the block until it was complete flat. Even when it showed 0% the bike kept going happily in eco mode, and it was only once I gunned it at full throttle once past % that it cut out. But I was able to do another few km in eco mode after this point. In the end I bought it home but it was still going with 60km on the clock, nearly 10km past the indicated 0%
The voltage at this time was 53v = 3.3v/cell average so this is a pretty conservative discharge for 18650s. Generally the BMS on those doesn't cut out until ~2.8v/cell but obviously that's assuming all cells discharge perfectly evenly, which we know they dont.

Vid uploading shortly for those who are interested.

Token visual pleasantries :)

jump11.jpg

Aebrennan said:

no kidding.

Aebrennan said:
If the manufacturer assigned a VIN to their product then it is authentic as the number is relevant.
Whether it is compatible with registration regulations in your country is irrelevant to the term authentic.

there's a difference between a serial number, which is what the sur-ron has and a VIN, whose purpose IS for registration and which people on this very thread have been asking about so don't discount valid arguments simply because you've been caught out as inept.

Aebrennan said:

again, no kidding.

Aebrennan said:
I am sure that the manufacturer is aware of what they need to do in the future if they intend to sell a road registrable model.

you're sure are you? how?

Aebrennan said:
In case they don’t I will get them to contact nofanbois as he seems to be all over everything.

I try to offer help and get a smartar$e response.

The manufacturer has to go through some kind of registration process to have a legal VIN. It's paperwork and money.
From the VIN of any vehicle, you can tell the make, model, and year. It's in some database somewhere.

I've registered multiple vehicles without a 17 character VIN. Most older model cars don't have that length of VIN. Never been an issue for me. I doubt it would be in this situation also, but I don't care either way. I'm not using it for that reason and I am not interested in putting lights all over to get a dirt bike street legal.

Thanks Hyena for the info about the bars. Your bike looks sweet with those and the new headlight.

dirkdiggler said:
I've registered multiple vehicles without a 17 character VIN. Most older model cars don't have that length of VIN. Never been an issue for me.
50 US States and nearly as many different rules and methods. Some easy others a nightmare. Been there in 6 states.

NoFanBoiz said:
Aebrennan said:

no kidding.

Aebrennan said:

there's a difference between a serial number, which is what the sur-ron has and a VIN, whose purpose IS for registration and which people on this very thread have been asking about so don't discount valid arguments simply because you've been caught out as inept.

Aebrennan said:

again, no kidding.

Aebrennan said:

you're sure are you? how?

Im sure because I have been in contact with the manufacturer for over 5 months.
I have first hand knowledge not speculation.
I am the authorised dealer and import these bikes into Australia and New Zealand.
I am aware of the manufacturer intentions for future production and development.
I am not some hack hater disrupting a thread due to having too much spare time and some weird grudge as you clearly are.
Anything can be registered anywhere if you wish to go to the effort to make it comply.
Do everyone here a favour and unsubscribe you obviously don’t have a real interest in this topic.

Aebrennan said:
Im sure because I have been in contact with the manufacturer for over 5 months.
I have first hand knowledge not speculation.

5 months of contact yet you have proven on your posts you know nothing about VINs despite your claims of 'first hand knowledge'.

Aebrennan said:
I am the authorised dealer and import these bikes into Australia and New Zealand.
I am aware of the manufacturer intentions for future production and development.
I am not some hack hater disrupting a thread due to having too much spare time and some weird grudge as you clearly are.
Anything can be registered anywhere if you wish to go to the effort to make it comply.
Do everyone here a favour and unsubscribe you obviously don’t have a real interest in this topic.

Good luck to anyone that buys one of these bikes, diagnoses any issues with their purchase and has a differing point of view to Adam, the "authorised dealer and import[er] [of] these bikes into Australia and New Zealand".

In my 5 months of contact with the manufacturer we have not discussed VIN as the bikes have been imported for off-road use only.
I never claimed to be a VIN expert I only informed other members of the number of digits marked on the bike from the factory.
Thanks for your well wishes

I still haven't decided if nofanboiz is an existing member of the group hiding behind a second login that he uses when he wants to be a jerk, or if he's just a textbook keyboard warrior. I'm starting to think more the latter...

Anyway here's my full capacity discharge test / review vid

[youtube]tpouo1wjk1k[/youtube]

Hyena said:
I still haven't decided if nofanboiz is an existing member of the group hiding behind a second login that he uses when he wants to be a jerk, or if he's just a textbook keyboard warrior. I'm starting to think more the latter...

Indecisive? I've decided you're a jerk.

NoFanBoiz said:
Indecisive?
Only about your motives

I've decided you're a jerk.
Oh no, I'm crushed. Were you actually just flirting before ?
Move along troll, go spit indiscriminately in the toxic discussion forum if you must.

Possibly Chalo's Sensie? :lol:

NoFanBoiz wrote: ↑Thu Jan 11, 2018 2:57 pm
Indecisive?
Only about your motives
I've decided you're a jerk.
Oh no, I'm crushed. Were you actually just flirting before ?
Move along troll, go spit indiscriminately in the toxic discussion forum if you must.

There are people that the glass is half full, there are people that the glass is happy empty. And then there are people that the glass is 7/8 empty. Back on topic, as far as the VIN issue and DMV. Spoke to my contact at the DMV. She advised that there are provisions for assigning a DMV VIN for street legal vehicles as well as OHV only vehicles. In summary the OHV vehicle don't require a head light, tail light, brake light, horn, two mirrors, or a speedometer. But to ride the Sur-Ron as moped in my state, they do require these accessories. For what its worth. Like I posted earlier, Moto Moto wants to come to Nevada and check out some of the Desert terrain I ride in and has offered to bring an extra Sur-Ron with him. Of course I said yes and am looking forward to our schedules aligning and making this happen. So probably here in the next couple of months, I will be able to contribute to the Sur-Ron discussion with some real world experience and not just by videos and pics of other guys.

Allex said:
Hey Rix, when will you order yours? =)

Green one on the way. Used my tax returns and sold my Devinci Django. Got to keep this one from the GF/Quasi wife. Good thing I got a plan. Now, down to business, need to come up with a 65T rear sprocket and 3 extra links of chain. Lets make this happen.

Hello, I got a company that sells ebikes and other electric engine powered vehicles. I'd like to become a retailer of this bike for Italy. Could anybody please tell me how can I get in touch with the Chinese company (I think Hangzhou Qiu Long Technology Co., Ltd.)? Or better, are there already resellers for Europe where I can buy from?

From what I understood, the Allex guy here on forum is the owner of Envolt company that also resells this bike for Europe and offers preorders at Ridefirefly site, right?

All the bikes I have received/delivered have been labeled Light Bee!

The owners manual refers to the bike as Light Bee.

Where is the name Firefly coming into play?
Is this not confusing the product?

Aebrennan said:
All the bikes I have received/delivered have been labeled Light Bee!

The owners manual refers to the bike as Light Bee.

Where is the name Firefly coming into play?
Is this not confusing the product?

I thought the light bee came with a front MTB wheel, where as the firefly came with a 19x1.4 MC rim and tire up front.

racingame said:
Hello, I got a company that sells ebikes and other electric engine powered vehicles. I'd like to become a retailer of this bike for Italy. Could anybody please tell me how can I get in touch with the Chinese company (I think Hangzhou Qiu Long Technology Co., Ltd.)? Or better, are there already resellers for Europe where I can buy from?

From what I understood, the Allex guy here on forum is the owner of Envolt company that also resells this bike for Europe and offers preorders at Ridefirefly site, right?

Buongiorno Gioco Corse, you are correct, Allex is the point of contact and owner of sites you referenced.

I am aware of the literal translations.

FYI Sur-ron translates to speedy dragon, hence the logo.

I just think it’s confusing the information surrounding the product, when some create I’ll informed details.

The light bee has moto rims 19inch front and rear, no mtb wheel. No option for mtb wheel.

The light bee has options of fork, RST or Fastace.

The light bee comes in a carton labeled Light Bee with an owners manual labeled Light Bee.

Yeah I thought light bee was a mis-translation from Chinese, and that it SHOULD be firefly, but on the box etc they still call it light bee, and probably don't know any different. It's certainly not the first time chinglish names or instructions have made it well and truly into the western world.
It'd be nice if everyone could just call it firefly as would have been intended but it doesn't help when the manufacturer calls it light bee!
It was only JRH who I've ever heard call it bee rather than light bee, which I think is a miscommunication somewhere along the lines. Fastace or RST are trivial fork differences and really shouldn't denote one being bee vs light bee because of a few hundred grams difference! And again I think this is a misunderstanding about what the light in light bee stands for - as in illumination rather than describing weight.

It's kinda like bafang I guess - their original name is 8fun, and 8 in chinese is pronounced "ba". So in should be ''ba fun' but with pronunciation/accents it sounded more like ba fang and so they ended up just sticking with that for the western world.

[youtube]dT0oMAPL6bE[/youtube]

:lol:

I asked the question about the Firefly name and received the following replies from the company.
“This is some other one called it, but we officially called Light Bee,My friend, this is the wrong information spreaded by the magazine and the endless phare forum.
This is why I required all the customer get information from us directly
I informed them before, Firefly, this trade name is belong to us, may have potential problem. Better to use Light Bee
But if they still use the trade name, if one day got problems about the trade name, we will not be responsible. Because we informed them to use LIGHT BEE
So, when you construct the web for the bike, please use SUR-RON and Light Bee”

Back