My Bafang Ultra Mountain Bike! Frey AM1000

Just received 2 photos of the prototype Frey AM 1000 Fatbike from Ivy Wang.
I think it is looking really good, and can't wait to see the production version, and receive pricing and final specifications.
I have particularly asked them to manufacture Front And Rear Fenders as a factory option.. I think there will be many takers for this new addition to their range. I am certainly in line for one to add to my existing Hardtail Mxus 3000w fatbike!

IMG_20180115_120023.jpg
IMG_20180115_120041-1.jpg

Johne-bike said:
Just received 2 photos of the prototype Frey AM 1000 Fatbike from Ivy Wang.
I think it is looking really good, and can't wait to see the production version, and receive pricing and final specifications.
I have particularly asked them to manufacture Front And Rear Fenders as a factory option.. I think there will be many takers for this new addition to their range. I am certainly in line for one to add to my existing Hardtail Mxus 3000w fatbike!

IMG_20180115_120023.jpg
IMG_20180115_120041-1.jpg

Interesting 6-point linkage. The pivot points on the floating rear triangle don't look too beefy.

Hello,
I've read some entries in this forum for a while. Today I registered to say 'thank you' to all the guys here who give their time and knowledge to all the beginners like me. I am not an ebiker as yet, but I think it's a good time to start. I am planning to open a motorcycle touring and rental company in the next year or so. As part of the tour we want to offer our guests the possibility of a trip within a tour on an electrical bike through a farm to really spectacular views. And I would like a good ebike for my under 20km trips, the daily commute etc... So I am looking to buy 2 or three different types of relatively powerful electric bikes. At the moment we're looking at a Lunacycle Apex with Rohloff hub, a Stromer ST2 and, after looking for something not that expensive, a Frey AM1000S or a Sobowo A8. Later we plan to buy 10 to 12 of the favorite bike to use it for the tour in the tour. I would buy the Frey any time if it came with IGH and I would even pay the Grand of extra costs with a smile just because of what I hear about the reliability of this Rohloff Hub.
But... My question here is: Wouldn't a bike used mostly for commuting best have 29' wheels, a bike for lots of OffRoad use 27.5' and in mud or snow you'd use 26' fat? I only found one company where you have options like this. Why does Frey or Lunacycle not offer different Versions of 'One' bike like this?
And if anybody has another Idea what bikes I might be able to use... bring it on... should have at least 750W. And I guess I'd prefer a mid motor... but having said that I loved the Stromer I tried for an hour recently around the city...
Thanks again
Uli

LUMOcustom said:
And if anybody has another Idea what bikes I might be able to use... bring it on... should have at least 750W. And I guess I'd prefer a mid motor... but having said that I loved the Stromer I tried for an hour recently around the city...
Thanks again
Uli

These look pretty good.
Fatbike available soon.
And I heard they offer the frames for sale also.

https://www.exess-bikes.de/

exess-side-links.jpg

exess-side-rechts.jpg

Hi,

Does anyone knows why Bafang no longer annouces the Ultra Max in his page and it only appears the M600?

It is there you have to click and it will expand to show you m620 which is the Ultra Max

Although Bafang website showed system information, in fact, as manufacturer we get always without battery part. So far, we have not seen the tube for battery or any matching battery for Ultra or coming m500/600 system.
We will see what they will supply in real condition in coming month.

Robleman said:
Hi,

Does anyone knows why Bafang no longer annouces the Ultra Max in his page and it only appears the M600?

This bike looks really pretty. Only the battery fit on down tube can't be big enough.
From the bike picture, it seems the rear triangle is also fixed.

Daxxie said:
LUMOcustom said:
Thanks again
Uli

These look pretty good.
Fatbike available soon.

exess-side-links.jpg

exess-side-rechts.jpg

FREYebikes said:
This bike looks really pretty. Only the battery fit on down tube can't be big enough.

Daxxie said:
LUMOcustom said:
Thanks again
Uli

These look pretty good.
Fatbike available soon.

exess-side-links.jpg

exess-side-rechts.jpg

If you go to their website you'll see it's not a fixed rear and they offer 2 different batteries for the bike. They offer different wheel sizes as well if needed and/or IGH.
Looks very decent but is definitely much more expensive than the Frey AM1000S. More like a Lunacycle Apex. And maybe Frey might be able to match the German built quality...
What do you think?

Actually, she means the rear triangle is a fixed unit. She's not saying it's a bad thing. In fact the Frey AM1000 has a fixed rear triangle as does the Giant Full E.

One thing I noticed is that Exess don't offer a small frame size, which could be a problem for some. I wonder if it has to do with its 180mm of travel.

Wish the battery was more integrated.

Bike looks nice though :)

LUMOcustom said:
If you go to their website you'll see it's not a fixed rear...

The Exess bike is very pretty and expensive. I emailed them a few weeks ago asking about freight costs and a couple of technical questions (e.g. e-brakes?) . I have heard nothing back. Not very promising.

Please keep this thread civil :wink:

I saw this Sobowo A8 as well and thought its design interesting, just don´t know anything about the bike and have not seen any review of it. If you buy one, please let us know what you thought :)

LUMOcustom said:
FREYebikes said:

Daxxie said:
LUMOcustom said:
Thanks again
Uli

These look pretty good.
Fatbike available soon.

exess-side-links.jpg

exess-side-rechts.jpg

If you go to their website you'll see it's not a fixed rear and they offer 2 different batteries for the bike. They offer different wheel sizes as well if needed and/or IGH.
Looks very decent but is definitely much more expensive than the Frey AM1000S. More like a Lunacycle Apex. And maybe Frey might be able to match the German built quality...
What do you think?

I was just at their site and it is a carbon frame. I have been told that Carbon frame Ultra motor mount is coming in the spring.

As far as Frey using same quality. If you scroll through the bike they are using the same fork as Frey AM1000 and while they are using the GX 1x11 you can get that from Frey also just requires a different free wheel. So yes I think you can get the same quality from Frey, if not better.

I have ordered a AM1000 sample to try out. I work with a bike shop that sells Haibikes, and that’s what I ride. I’m getting it shipped to NY port. We’re really excited to see a high power factory-built e-bike. We’re hoping for great quality and finish like the Haibike, and the Frey components are very good. We’re upgrading the sample to a Lyrik fork and also the SRAM EX1 group. On paper this is one of the best spec’d bike to be found. Also, I have to say I’ve dealt with Chinese suppliers in the past, and Ivy, at Frey is by far the single best representative I have ever dealt with. Better than US reps too. Frey’s up front service and comments here has convinced me that they are the manufacturer I want to try out. Hopefully after-sales issues will be small and Frey will be just as helpful as they’ve been with the pre-order service.

Here is a couple of the color schemes Ivy sent. We’re not settled yet on the final choice but I’d like to share with you guys to get some thoughts:

Attachments

• IMG_0318.JPG
    IMG_0318.JPG
    186.3 KB · Views: 6,129
I love the black frame with the green detailing.. That will be my choice from the 2 you have shown, if they replicate it on the Fatbike version which I plan to buy when Frey launches it.. :D :D

Copy this and I will buy one anytime. https://www.exess-bikes.de/
frame slack (head angle) this bike is high power.
27+ wheels 3' inch tires
matte black for stealth
180mm travel
I really dont want high spec. parts (it will all be changed anyway)
carbon is nice but not a must.
It would be great if i could just buy frame, motor, and battery,

That Excess bike looks great. The Frey is probably the only bike out there that is very similar, and of course at a much more palatable price. One significant difference is the Frey battery is about 30% bigger. Of course more weight, too.

One area I’d like to discuss is the brakes and the cut-off switches that are apparently on the MT5e. Do other folks out there with high power bikes think power cut-off when hitting the brakes is a good thing, or is it a hassle? When riding and periodically pedaling, and dragging or tapping the break, does it make for a jerky ride? Are they really needed for safety? They certainly make for even more cables to be jumbled up in the cockpit. Good or bad overall?

If your going fast off road 180mm travel minimum.
If you have brake cutoff there is a delay when power comes back on. I will never use brake cutoffs I LIKE WHEELIES.

For torque based pedelec having the e-brake cutoff is not an absolute necessity. It's not a typical riding technique to use the brakes while pedalling under power. Sometimes you tap the brakes mid-corner for stability, and in these situations, the delay caused by the e-brake cutoff causes control issues.

For Throttle control, e-brake cutoff makes more sense.

I have a torque mid-drive, and I have removed the E-Brake Cutoff from the front brake, and have left it in place for the rear.
Andy

Just my 2 cents on color and fill-out by battery..... :)
This gives the bike a built-in look rathar than bolted-on look

https://endless-sphere.com/forums/download/file.php?mode=view&id=227893

Attachments

• frey bike.png
    frey bike.png
    130.4 KB · Views: 5,851
@ FREYebikes,

You`re doing a great job with the development of the AM1000 MTB, not all manufacturers take the time in listening to their customers the way you do - so well done!

However i feel you`re missing out on an enormous market here,

It`s the Hybrid and/or road ebike with your basic MTB specifications and Bafang motor options.

It shouldn`t be a big job in altering the present frame to go Hardtail with front suspension and have 29er and 27.5 options?

Have you not considered this??

I think your wrong. You can make a mountain bike a hybrid and use it on road but you can't turn a road hybrid into a real mountain bike. With this motor the extra weight does not matter for road use. I think the travel should be more like 180 I work at a ebike store and get to ride almost everything. I just rode the new specialized kenevo on our local down hill trail that bike feels great if it had a throttle I would by one.

I do agree with a 27+ tire

While the weight doesn't matter, the lack of a rack does for a commuter or a tourer.

If you can get a rack on the mountain bike, then I think all bases are covered!

broke said:
I think your wrong. You can make a mountain bike a hybrid and use it on road but you can't turn a road hybrid into a real mountain bike. With this motor the extra weight does not matter for road use. I think the travel should be more like 180 I work at a ebike store and get to ride almost everything. I just rode the new specialized kenevo on our local down hill trail that bike feels great if it had a throttle I would by one.

I do agree with a 27+ tire

here you go this is just one.

Attachments

• Thule15-100016-2.jpg
    Thule15-100016-2.jpg
    25 KB · Views: 4,558
Back