Cycle Analyst V3 preview and first beta release

Hi

I have bought and installed the CA3 some time ago but I have an issue:

* I live in Europe so im using PAS and have limited speed to around 25 km/h
* Throttle only for 0-5 km/h
* Front hub MAC 700W
* Controller Infineon

The problem is that when going downhill I will exceed the 25km/h setting (even without power from the motor) and once the downhill flattens out there will be several seconds delay before the power comes back so my speed easily drops down to 20 km/h before getting power again. (just to clarify exeeding 25km/h is not the problem but the following drop/delay) in power).

Could it be the setting of the PID that I should change? Seems like a too long delay to be PID-related (I have not changed any PID settings)

If you need any more input please let me know!

What is happening is that the CA has cranked ThO down to the minimum in a futile attempt to slow the bike going downhill and there is a huge error wound up in the speed PID controller. It takes a while to counter that large error - your reported delay.

You are entering the realm of PID tuning - which is not always a happy place to go...
SLim->IntSGain controls the rate at which the past error both accumulates and is reduced. You can try increasing this to make the 'past error correction' change more rapidly. Some adjustment to PSGain will likely be useful as well.

There is an explanation of how this works in the [strike]Un[/strike]offical Guide section "Appendix E. PID Controllers and Gain Parameters". Basically, you have the situation illustrated below and are getting hosed by a large "I" value. Because we can't stop the integral error term from maxing out on a long descent, one strategy is to make the associated IntSGain term as large as we can (without oscillation) so that the accumulated error is reduced quickly. There's a tuning procedure there that in general may help you get the speed limiting as responsive as possible without oscillating.

speedPid5_small.png

I am using a CA3.03 and a run-of-the-mill 1-wire PAS sensor from King-Meter.

• When I connect it to the CA3 +5V / GND / PAS pads on the CA3 board and turn my cranks, the PAS arrow moves down and stays there. No more arrow changes, even though the PAS-LED is blinking. Only when I pedal backward does the arrow go up again. I tried this on 2 different CA3.03s

• No problem when I connect Grin's 2-wire PAS sensor: both arrows move up and down.

• When I connect the 1-wire PAS sensor to an older CA3.01, the PAS function works without fail (arrow moves up and down)

So something has changed between CA3.01 and CA3.03, either hard- or softwarewise, that causes the PAS funktion to fail.
Any idea?

electricwheels.de said:
  1. When I connect it to the CA3 +5V / GND / PAS pads on the CA3 board and turn my cranks, the PAS arrow moves down and stays there.
  2. When I connect the 1-wire PAS sensor to an older CA3.01, the PAS function works without fail (arrow moves up and down)

So something has changed between CA3.01 and CA3.03, either hard- or softwarewise, that causes the PAS funktion to fail.
Any idea?
Not offhand, but that certainly does point to a firmware change.
I'll take a look...

electricwheels.de said:
Any idea?

Didn't the stock setting of 'PAS direction polarity' in 'PAS Device Settings' changed from '5V-forward' to '5V-reverse' somewhere waaay back between firmware's? (old bug?)

That would be the first setting I'd check, if I encounter that problem with a 1-wire PAS sensor.
IIRC thats the setting I always have to change with my 1-wire PAS sensors, after every firmware update (currently v3.1 b20)...

electricwheels.de said:
  1. When I connect it to the CA3 +5V / GND / PAS pads on the CA3 board and turn my cranks, the PAS arrow moves down and stays there.
  2. When I connect the 1-wire PAS sensor to an older CA3.01, the PAS function works without fail (arrow moves up and down)

Any idea?
Marc S. said:
Didn't the stock setting of 'PAS direction polarity' in 'PAS Device Settings' changed from '5V-forward' to '5V-reverse' somewhere waaay back between firmware's? (old bug?)
...EW is a big CA distributor in EU and I expected that he had checked that - but it was a good thought.

The critical point here is that we are looking at the Setup Preview screen to see the P/D arrows flip Up/Down. Those particular indicators reflect the raw signals without consideration of the polarity function so EW. I just needed to verify we hadn't fiddled with that along the way -- it's always worked that way and continues to do so today -- so the polarity setting or that old bug would have no impact.

I also re-checked the firmware and there is indeed a pull-up resistor enabled on the uproc RPM port (on-chip pull-up) in the exact same manner as the Speed input (I reported this incorrectly in the post on the previous page - added a correction there - oops).

So - this is pretty odd.

electricwheels-
If do you your test and get the p-arrow stuck pointing down, what happens to the P-arrow when you just unplug the PAS sensor? The pull-up should cause it to point UP.

hi all,

Like with justin from grin tec. agreed I will discuss here my little hack to adapt the CA to a motorcycle with reverse gear.
The forward gear should be limited with 150Km / h, the reverse gear with about 6km / h.
Switched over with a 3 pol. Switch.

The maximum speed is normally set to 150Km / h in the CA menu.
The 6 Km / h are set as "no pedaling max speed".
used is a Kelly controller and a Mars motor.

The speed sensor and the RPM sensor (PAS) are connected to the CA.
(Copy signal from one of the halls)
A reed contact connects the DIR output to ground when the F / N / R switch is set to reverse.

If the switch is in forward position, the reed switch is open and the CA is limited to 150Km / . Motor RPM´s are displayed at Pedal-Speed.

when the switch is in reverse position, the reed switch closes and the CA "thinks" you are pedaling backwards. now the max. km / h limited to 6.
Motor RPM´s are displayed at Pedal-Speed.

So far the theory .. let's see if that works like this :)

Oh dear,
after a few hours testing and getting inconstant results, the problem was found with my test harness having an intermittent fault... :oops: guess it's time to rebuild the old faithful.
my sincere apology for causing a stir, it's time to look for a hole in the ground :oops: :oops:

electricwheels.de said:
...the problem was found with my test harness having an intermittent fault... :oops: guess it's time to rebuild the old faithful.
We all look to our tools to be 100% so they are completely out of the debug equation. I think we've all been stung by the belated realization that a proven tool has gotten sick and our resolute faith in it led us on a not-so-merry chase.

No worries. (Actually glad I don't have to fix some broken code...) :)

teklektik said:
electricwheels.de said:

Any idea?
Not offhand, but that certainly does point to a firmware change.
I'll take a look...

@tekletik...
I also have a PAS problem.
Im using the CA with the latest 3.1b13
When i try to enter the number of PAS poles to 1 under SETUP PAS DEVICE it doesnt allow me to. It resets to 2 after I manually enter 1. Im using the PAS that I ordered from em3ev.com. It seems to be a King Meter type. Before the software update I had set the Poles to 1 and it worked fine.
My settings under SETUP PAS DEVICE are:
Sensor Type is set at Basic PAS
Pas poles at 2
Signal type at 2 wires
Then under PAS CONFIGURATION, the PAS Mode is set to Auto PAS

Is there a way to input 1 pole? Or is there another thing im doing wrong? Thanks!!

ebike11 said:
Well, that whole b13 thing is unfortunate. That firmware was mistakenly left up on the site about 9 months ago. The latest is actually b16 downloadable from here on ES - it's linked from the Guide download page.

But - back in June, Setup Utility 1.4x was released. It is downloadable from the Grin site and contains b20 which is really b16 finagled to work with the newer Setup Utility. That is what folks were to be using from then on. So - if you want the latest, download and install SU 1.44.

We are working to get this whole versioning snafu with firmware and Setup Utilities squared away. Sorry about the confusion....

ebike11 said:
When i try to enter the number of PAS poles to 1 under SETUP PAS DEVICE it doesnt allow me to. It resets to 2 after I manually enter 1. Im using the PAS that I ordered from em3ev.com. It seems to be a King Meter type. Before the software update I had set the Poles to 1 and it worked fine.
Is there a way to input 1 pole? Or is there another thing im doing wrong?
It's not possible to enter Pas Poles of 1 - and I don't believe you will ever find a PAS system with a single pole - it would work super badly. The number of poles should be set to the number of magnets on the PAS wheel. The more magnets, the better the PAS system can start and stop assist because the CA can tell sooner that the cranks have rotated a bit. If you have some kind of internal type where you can't see the magnets, turn the cranks slowly one revolution and count the number of times the arrow flips up then down on the PAS Device Setup Screen.

So - quick fix - set the Pas Poles properly on the b13 that you presently have - it should be 12 poles, I believe. That should work out fine. I'd recommend holding off for a bit before re-flashing new firmware unless you are really having a problem with b13 - (just a suggestion... :D )

teklektik said:
ebike11 said:
Well, that whole b13 thing is unfortunate. That firmware was mistakenly left up on the site about 9 months ago. The latest is actually b16 downloadable from here on ES - it's linked from the Guide download page.

But - back in June, Setup Utility 1.4x was released. It is downloadable from the Grin site and contains b20 which is really b16 finagled to work with the newer Setup Utility. That is what folks were to be using from then on. So - if you want the latest, download and install SU 1.44.

We are working to get this whole versioning snafu with firmware and Setup Utilities squared away. Sorry about the confusion....

ebike11 said:
Is there a way to input 1 pole? Or is there another thing im doing wrong?
It's not possible to enter Pas Poles of 1 - and I don't believe you will ever find a PAS system with a single pole - it would work super badly. The number of poles should be set to the number of magnets on the PAS wheel. The more magnets, the better the PAS system can start and stop assist because the CA can tell sooner that the cranks have rotated a bit. If you have some kind of internal type where you can't see the magnets, turn the cranks slowly one revolution and count the number of times the arrow flips up then down on the PAS Device Setup Screen.

So - quick fix - set the Pas Poles properly on the b13 that you presently have - it should be 12 poles, I believe. That should work out fine. I'd recommend holding off for a bit before re-flashing new firmware unless you are really having a problem with b13 - (just a suggestion... :D )

Oh i thought it was the lastest. I just flashed the b13 recently though and havent entered many of the settings yet. Should i just reflash to what you mentioned? Or will there be another firmwarenupdate soon?

ebike11 said:
I just flashed the b13 recently though and havent entered many of the settings yet. Should i just reflash to what you mentioned?
Or will there be another firmware update soon?
The latest is normally the best choice, but if you have made any kind of commitment to b13, you can stay there.
'Soon' can be such an elusive term...
(You've got to better at recognizing weasel words.... :D )

market: Europe
bike: pedal assisted velomobile (legislation wise an unclear area)
reason: becoming more street legal, to operate in the spirit of the legislators

Based upon reading this topic and the (un)official user guide 3.0-e (2016.02.16), I do wish to suggest some low priority new CA limiting features in order of priority:

#1: Limit total continuous power = human (torque PAS) power + motor power
European Commission (EC) position regarding ETRA comments and proposed amendments, January 2011:
Amateur bicycle racers are able to produce 3 watts/kg for more than an hour (e.g., around 210 watts/hour for a 70 kg rider). Very powerful powered cycles, independent if driven by combustion engine technology, propelled with an electric engine or hybrid technology with a maximum continuous rated power between 250 and 1000 Watt (proposed classification limit for subcategory L1Ae) can physically achieve much higher vehicle speeds for a much longer time than pure muscle driven cycles and shall therefore fall within type approval
Having a torque sensor, I do wish to be able to set a limit on (continuous) motor power, based on a limit minus continuous pedal power (excluding 0 watt values where speed > 5 km/h). For example: total cont. limit = 250 watt, 3 hour average torque power = 105 watts, electromechanical efficiency = 70% (between CA and motor shaft), then the 3 hour total battery draw should become: 250 w - 105 w = 145 w / 0.7 = 207.14 watt * 3 hours = 621.4 Wh.

#2: Differentiate power limiting into a (1) continuous power limit (2) peak power limit
The "Bike Europe whitepaper november 2014" states for Technical rules for new type approval for 45 km/h pedelecs:
the maximum peak power shall be < 1,6 X maximum continuous rated power, measured as mechanical power at the shaft of the motor unit

#3: Limit human (torque PAS) amplification
EU Regulation 3/2014 on vehicle safety requirements has the following:
Cycles designed to pedal of vehicle category L1e-B shall have a mass in running order ≤ 35 kg and shall be fitted with pedals enabling the vehicle to be propelled solely by the rider’s muscular leg power. The vehicle shall feature adjustable rider positioning in order to enhance the ergonomic posture of the rider for pedalling. The auxiliary propulsion power shall be added to the driver’s pedal power and shall be less than or equal to four times the actual pedal power.
A torque PAS amplification limit makes it possible to comply to this rule.

teklektik said:
ebike11 said:
I just flashed the b13 recently though and havent entered many of the settings yet. Should i just reflash to what you mentioned?
Or will there be another firmware update soon?
The latest is normally the best choice, but if you have made any kind of commitment to b13, you can stay there.
'Soon' can be such an elusive term...
(You've got to better at recognizing weasel words.... :D )

Hi..i just updated to b20...i notice a lot of new settings in the set up screens.
Are these settings updated in the manual as well?
Some of them are not eaay for me to underatand.
Thx

v3.1 Beta 21 Released (Also new Setup Utility 1.53)

It's been a while since the last beta release, but 3.1 Beta 21 is here!

There are many new features that we normally would call out in this post, but there has also been a bunch of changes to the supporting Setup Utility that make that a little redundant. SU1.53 provides ToolTips that explain each category and setting to give you an assist as you do the configuration. There is also a new Help menu on the SU nav bar that will bring up the ToolTip information as a single web page and give you access to the Release Notes and Grin On-Line CA3 web material. The ToolTips and Help are firmware version-specific so they are in sync with the particular configuration that is selected.

CA3.1b21_SU1-53help.png

Another cool Setup Utility feature allows you to pull new firmware releases from the Grin download site into the Setup Utility without manually downloading and installing zip files as in the past.

Perhaps the niftiest feature is - (wait for it.....) - the Setup Utility now transfers most settings automagically from the previous installed version to the new installed firmware. This will work for all subsequent firmware releases moving forward and for this SU launch can transfer settings from these earlier versions:
  • 3.0, 3.01, 3.02, 3.03, 3.04
  • 3.1b13, 3.1b16, 3.1b20

If you don't have a programming cable, you can still download the new Setup Utility to get access to the Help information. Programming cables and the new Digital Aux buttons are available on Amazon for quick delivery.

• This release is announced on the Grin Site >>here<<, Read this for more new feature details!
  • The new Setup Utility 1.53 with b21 and all the compatible previous releases can be downloaded >>here<<.

Anyhow - lots of cool stuff - have at it!

• BTW - The earlier SettingsSummary.txt and SettingsSummary.pdf files are no longer provided. If you want printed Help, use your file explorer to navigate to <SetupUtilityInstallDirectory>\data\help and double click the appropriate help.html file to open it in your regular browser. From there you can use the normal browser 'File/Print' features to get hard copy, etc.
  • Also - The on-line CA V3 web page still has older 3.0 documentation. This will be updated soon, but we wanted to get the new firmware out to the beta testers ASAP. The [strike]Un[/strike]offical User Guide also remains at the 3.0x version. However, all of the hardware installation and most of the Advanced Installation material (PAS, etc) is still applicable. A large part of the initial throttle setup, etc is now supplanted by the friendlier ToolTips making that part of the Guide unnecessary.

teklektik said:
v3.1 Beta 21 Released (Also new Setup Utility 1.53)

It's been a while since the last beta release, but 3.1 Beta 21 is here!

There are many new features that we normally would call out in this post, but there has also been a bunch of changes to the supporting Setup Utility that make that a little redundant. SU1.53 provides ToolTips that explain each category and setting to give you an assist as you do the configuration. There is also a new Help menu on the SU nav bar that will bring up the ToolTip information as a single web page and give you access to the Release Notes and Grin On-Line CA3 web material. The ToolTips and Help are firmware version-specific so they are in sync with the particular configuration that is selected.

CA3.1b21_SU1-53help.png

Another cool Setup Utility feature allows you to pull new firmware releases from the Grin download site into the Setup Utility without manually downloading and installing zip files as in the past.

Perhaps the niftiest feature is - (wait for it.....) - the Setup Utility now transfers most settings automagically from the previous installed version to the new installed firmware. This will work for all subsequent firmware releases moving forward and for this SU launch can transfer settings from these earlier versions:
  • 3.1b13, 3.1b16, 3.1b20

If you don't have a programming cable, you can still download the new Setup Utility to get access to the Help information. Programming cables and the new Digital Aux buttons are available on Amazon for quick delivery.

• This release is announced on the Grin Site >>here<<, Read this for more new feature details!
  • The new Setup Utility 1.53 with b21 and all the compatible previous releases can be downloaded >>here<<.

Anyhow - lots of cool stuff - have at it!

• BTW - The earlier SettingsSummary.txt and SettingsSummary.pdf files are no longer provided. If you want printed Help, use your file explorer to navigate to <SetupUtilityInstallDirectory>\data\help and double click the appropriate help.html file to open it in your regular browser. From there you can use the normal browser 'File/Print' features to get hard copy, etc.

so the 3.1b11 is not supported ?

Ingo said:
teklektik said:
  • 3.1b13, 3.1b16, 3.1b20

No. As in the past, when upgrading to an incompatible firmware version, you must re-enter a new configuration from scratch. This is the way it always was, which frankly was a PITA.

3.1b11 is pretty much an antique and so didn't make the cut for an overhaul to make it compatible with this new Setup Utility. Each of those older 'compatible' versions was tinkered to have Help, ToolTips, and the files necessary to make it live happily with SU1.53 although the core FW remained unchanged.

I recommend that you use your existing SU1.31 to pull your settings from your CA and save them to a file. After installing the new SU1.53, open both SU1.31 with your saved file and a 'new' setup in SU 1.53. Arrange the windows side by side and manually duplicate the settings in the new version. Save the new setup file. Moving forward you will be able to upgrade and re-enter only those settings that are somehow incompatible in the new firmware (changed menus, etc).

Sorry 'bout that...

• Tip of the Day - The major points on incompatibility with the new b21 FW are in the Aux and PAS areas - almost every other setting will get transferred okay. When upgrading from one of the 'compatible' versions, the old and new setups appear on different tabs so you can switch between the two to update the new version appropriately. The ToolTips will be appropriate for each version to help you figure out what to change.

I prefer opening two Setup Utilities side-by-side instead of using the tabs. Read the present setup into the left SU, then update to new FW with the right SU and you can more easily scroll and compare.

CA3-1b21_SU1-53_setupCompatibility.png

teklektik said:
Ingo said:
teklektik said:
  • 3.1b13, 3.1b16, 3.1b20

No. As in the past, when upgrading to an incompatible firmware version, you must re-enter a new configuration from scratch. This is the way it always was, which frankly was a PITA.

3.1b11 is pretty much an antique and so didn't make the cut for an overhaul to make it compatible with this new Setup Utility. Each of those older 'compatible' versions was tinkered to have Help, ToolTips, and the files necessary to make it live happily with SU1.53 although the core FW remained unchanged.

I recommend that you use your existing SU1.31 to pull your settings from your CA and save them to a file. After installing the new SU1.53, open both SU1.31 with your saved file and a 'new' setup in SU 1.53. Arrange the windows side by side and manually duplicate the settings in the new version. Save the new setup file. Moving forward you will be able to upgrade and re-enter only those settings that are somehow incompatible in the new firmware (changed menus, etc).

Sorry 'bout that...

• Tip of the Day - The major points on incompatibility with the new b21 FW are in the Aux and PAS areas - almost every other setting will get transferred okay. When upgrading from one of the 'compatible' versions, the old and new setups appear on different tabs so you can switch between the two to update the new version appropriately. The ToolTips will be appropriate for each version to help you figure out what to change.

I prefer opening two Setup Utilities side-by-side instead of using the tabs. Read the present setup into the left SU, then update to new FW with the right SU and you can more easily scroll and compare.

CA3-1b21_SU1-53_setupCompatibility.png

thanks for that informations great job :)

.... where can i get Su 1.31 ?

Ingo said:
.... where can i get Su 1.31 ?
Hmmm - interesting point. JLE cleaned up the CA3 web page last night and I see the old stuff is gone. Maybe we should re-post the old stuff for a bit.

Meanwhile, here you go.
It's zipped so ES will allow it to be posted. Extract the .exe file and run it.

View attachment CA_Setup_Utility_v1.31_Windows_exe.zip

electricwheels.de said:
Well done. Had a quick first play and I am impressed.

Thanks! Hope it lives up to first impressions! :D

For folks who may be loading up preconfigured CA3 to go out with kits, remember that this b21 stuff has the Cal->Defaults feature that lets you burn the present setup into program memory so your customers can get back to your delivered defaults if they mess up the EEPROM settings. This was done mostly for the OEM/retailers but it's handy for 'girlfriend' and 'dad' bikes as well where busy little non-techie fingers can wreak havoc...

thanks.. another question .. my kelly controller has a "meter" output... that means it copys the halls signal. sin/cos signal at my motor.
but at the meteroutput comes +12v out...(normaly it must be 5v..) can the CA can handle +12V at Speed and PAS input ??

Ingo said:
my kelly controller has a "meter" output... that means it copys the halls signal. sin/cos signal at my motor.
but at the meteroutput comes +12v out...(normaly it must be 5v..) can the CA can handle +12V at Speed and PAS input ??
Not really.
I believe you are stuck assembling some voltage dividers.

3.1 Beta 21 Tip

A common troubleshooting step when getting a new build running is to disconnect the CA3 and plug the throttle directly into the controller to isolate the difficulty as either CA or controller based. This can be a little problematic because the throttle doesn't normally run back to the controller and there may be cabling issues by the time this debug step is considered.

3.1b21 has a new 'Bypass' throttle mode that effectively does this throttle reconnection without the hassle of getting a second throttle or a cable extension. This differs from 'PassThru' mode in that ThrIN is sent directly to ThrOUT with no processing whatsoever: no min/max range adjustments, no ramping, no limiting, and no autocruise or PAS support.

• 'Bypass' is only a diagnostic mode and is not intended for normal ebike use. All normal CA protections are inoperative (e.g. low voltage, max current).

Anyhow, this should make it a bit easier to hunt down problems if you're unsure which component is causing bad behavior.

Back