My E-Scooter Upgrade Project

I didn't use hydraulic brakes on the OEM rims. When I upgraded the wheels I used the rotors that they came with and put the hydraulic brakes on as well. I used the original mechanical brakes and rotors with the OEM rims, but with the Michelin tires.

You are correct: I didn't get the brakes as a kit, I put the system together from parts. I got the master cylinders and brake lines from Ebay. Just search for Honda GY6 master cylinders. The brake lines are motorcycle custom lines.

Gotcha, I went back and looked again through your thread at the pictures you included, its all there. What a great build. Thanks again for sharing it. Did you ever look into going belt drive instead of chain? Just curious if you weighed out the pros and cons of both systems. That KART #219 chain drive looks pretty stout, almost bullet proof if set up correctly as you and E.G. have done. I was not sure if a belt drive would even work for this type of scooter application or not. Do you have any video of the scooter in action? And that kickstand is priceless, I totally agree with you and like the look as well as function for parking.

Thanks for the compliments Gaffler.

I would love to have belt drive and eliminate the chain. I also think it would be extremely quiet and look cool, however; I couldn't find all of the parts. I have a few ideas that I haven't tried yet, and the best one is to contact LightningRods (http://lightning-rods10.mybigcommerce.com/) and see if I can special order or have them fabricate the parts I need (the cogs). I see that they have a drive cog for the motor, but I haven't seen a driven cog for the wheel yet. The belt may or may not be obtainable and I haven't tried that yet either. If you can solve this dilemma at a reasonable price I would be grateful.

The 219 system is so cheap, solid, and reliable so I am not in a big hurry to replace it, unless that belt system becomes available.

I don't have any video. I can say however that this is some of the most fun I've had on two wheels, and I've had a LOT of motorcycles in the past.

first search on flebay, close to your ratio but not exactly. So I'm sure its out there we just have to find it or like you said ask L.R.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Gates-Carbon-Drive-CDX-CenterTrack-Full-System-BELT-CHAINRING-and-SPROCKETS/173117062055?hash=item284e94bba7:g:Z0oAAOSwmSdaZ30U

Scooterdude, will you measure your alloy rim diameter for me please? I think after all the info you have given me I compared apples to oranges. My schwinn stealth stock tires are 12.5 X 3.0 and my rim measures 8 inches in diameter. I don't think the 90/90-10 Michelin S1 will fit my rim after all. Bummer. I really liked that tire look on the scooter. Hopefully I can find something close to it that will work on my alloy rims. Thanks for your help.

The Z50 rims and the OEM rims are both 10". If your rims are 12.5" then the 90/90-10 Michelins will definitely NOT fit. I would see if Michelin makes a 12.5" scooter tire.

Oops, I just saw that your rims are 8". Same problem however, just see if you can get tires for your rims because the 10" won't work.

yes I'm going to have to search around. Or bite the bullet on six wheels and tires (ouch) cuz those rims and tires look good on those scooters. hopefully I can source something close to those tires to fit my rims, there like brand new, I have kept these in garage and taken care of. They still work great just not enough, especially now that I know they can be so much better.. The rim I have is 135mm dropout, 8 inches in diameter, the tire reads 12.5X3 so maybe just maybe ill find something close to yours and E.G. setup. Thanks again for your help and your time. I have also been looking at the Boston Power Swing cells to build up some nice battery packs but I cant find out how to weld them. Everything on E.S. says you need some special welder to build them. They have great 5300ma capacity, 2C 13.5amp continuous discharge and 3000 cycles. I figure a 5s13p pack on these will still fit in the stock battery bay with no mods and still have room for the new controller. 2c should give me 40+ to 50+ amp continuous , I think will be more than enough for small hill climbing and 25mph to 35mph with a 25AH capacity in 5s build, but I'm not positive. I just like the ease of use, safety, and longevity of the swing cells. I have read a few threads about people having good luck using them in ebike applications and think they would be fine in a low 48v to 60v 4s or 5s 10p to 15p build. Let me know what you think or if you have any ideas on how to weld nickel strips to them.

There seems to be some excellent 18650 battery kits available these days. Check this out:

http://www.electricbike.com/diy-battery-pack-kits-four-options-2017/

I've been planning an auxiliary battery for some time now and it's done.
ES photo.jpg
This brings my effective battery to 20S10P which is worth about 60 miles range on flat ground. My battery is now lasting longer than my butt!

I consider this a pretty good tip! I have installed the O-ring version of the DID 219 chain. I ran the standard version over the past year and I really liked it. I didn't even know there was an O-ring version until I ran across it by accident, now I'm glad I got it. Here's what it offers:
1.Very low maintenance. I just wipe it down with a rag with some auto motor oil on it and it's good to go.
2. Super quiet. It's always perfectly lubed so the thing is practically silent.

I've been using it over the past few months (a couple hundred miles) and it's been great. Because it's been in use there is a fair amount of gunk around the O-rings but you can still get the point.

BTW: you will need a chain tool wide enough to accomodate this wider chain. Here's the link: https://www.ebay.com/itm/219-Chain-Link-Breaker-Tool-for-Go-Kart-Cart-Mini-Bikes-Motorcross-Break-NEW/221288143856?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649
O-ring.jpg

Back