Retirement Time

Finally got grandma's stuff all moved this weekend, she's been staying with us since November 12th. The yard work is much less dusty since the recent rain. Time for some winter weeding and rose pruning, the lawn being mostly dormant this time of year. The heavy rain washed out a couple of bark covered areas but nothing serious.

Hehe... Sorry to just be reading this thread now... "40 years + is enough, so I'm pulling the handle tomorrow and giving my 60 day notice"...
I "retired" decades ago... spent half my life "on vacation"...aka "living life below the poverty line" aka not earning - or needing - much money...
BUT. I'm thinking you've "done watts important in life"... to help leave this planet as a "better place" for future generations through your writings (about electric traction).
One example... the local library has scanned and put online dozens of books and pieces written by one of MY ancestors (back when there was no "internet"...) where in the late 1800s he wrote about "early childhood education" - and helped start a new training program in local schools. A program from Germany they called "Kinter Garten"... sound familiar? :wink:
And in 1895, as President of the Toronto Womens Enfranchisement Assoc., he posited that women should have the right to vote in elections... (Hey... Nobuddy's "perfect". Hehe...)

Anyway... While my family (mostly the "males") have been "military" for MANY generations- sad fact of human existence - `round here, the "war of 1812" is still a "big deal"... while three years later, in 1815 I had ancestors fighting in today's Belgium, around a small town "Waterloo"... one a Welsh guy/gunner fighting for the English, another guy and his three sons fighting for Napoleon... again, I suggest that the "best" one might do is to leave this planet as a "better place" for future generations through their writings.

... and in this regard you are one of my heroes. Sir!

:)

Hehe... Speaking of heroes... You'll have to "get in line". It's a very exclusive club... ya have to die to get admitted...
Gods of the Ebike
https://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=59924

... and speaking of history... from the colonies of England...
Voyage of the Courtesans
[youtube]2LmOmLRhtO8[/youtube]

Cheers... You "Rebel"... :lol:

Congrats Finger on the retirement. I'm sorry things got a bit dramatic as you were trying to move.

I am pretty lucky in that I have the best job in the world (for me) and I plan on doing it till I can't any longer. I'm a system/software engineer in case any of you were wondering. When I do leave this job, I want to retire in Belize. Unfortunately you can't start a business there as a non-native. But... I have some ideas about that and I think that they'd work for many of you guys too.

First: There are lots of total idiots making tons of money posting youtube videos. With all the knowledge you guys have, I bet you could post a series of in-depth ebike videos and make some bucks.
Second: If you're making shippable items, you can throw together a web-store and sell your stuff online. Sith sites like Shopify and squarespace, it's gotten very easy to create an ecommerce website.

I also wanted to chime in on the whole mortgage stuff you guys had been talking about. I had a really great experience getting a refi on my house through rocket mortgage. They were very easy to work with and were super friendly and provided information, advice, and one-on-one conversations when I needed it. I am not affiliated with them in any way, but I had a great experience using them, so figured I'd share here.

I have to start pruning the roses, about a dozen in front and half a dozen in back so no flowers for a while. They have been trimmed with hedge clippers for years, and need a proper thinning to encourage new canes. One rose bush might even require replacing, but I'll let it go and see if it can recover this year. If it can't produce basal canes instead of suckers eventually it's a goner. Also time to yank a few dead annuals and dandelions, mow the back yard, and clear the patio of what's left from the recent wind.

Roses done. Fed and watered the stumpy one. Weeds pulled and sprayed gravel areas and cracks for more weeds sprouting after the last rain. Mowed the rear lawn and vacuumed up the last of the leaves. Might have to water a few spots with the hose to carry it over until the next rain. If we don't get any, I'll have to turn on the sprinklers every other week. :(

It's quite a bit colder at 2,000 feet than it was at elevation 15 feet 3 miles from the ocesn, my feet are finding out tonight. Oliver can feel it as well. The ladies seem to be better insulated than us guys. :p

The succulents and the geraniums have perked up with the recent rains, but the hummingbirds are bummed that the lantanas froze along with the birds of paridise flowers and the bougainvillea. I should fill their feeders to give them a snack. :)

The lawn is greening up fast, will need to mow and edge soon. Weeds keep popping up in the gravel, needs to be sprayed every month or so.
Chomper, the Global Warming Tortoise, seems to like his big new backyard; plenty of sun basking areas on North and South sides with mostly shade on the East (middle) from the covered patio and the neighbors trees. The resident local allegator lizards watch him with amusement from atop the railroad tie planters as he twaddles from sunny spots to his favorite lookout gaps in the fence. "Get a load of the new heavy hitter" they seem to say, as they run rings around him. Oliver tries to catch them, but at church once one bit him on the nose; like the dog who chases cars, I don't think that he would know what to do if he ever catches one. I'm waiting to see one of the lizards hitching a ride on Chomper's back. :lol:

Got out the mower and edger today after work to give the lawn it's first mowing of spring. Only about 2/3 greened up but I guess it has been really getting thick with temps in the upper 70s F this week. The back lawn is common Bermuda grass and is much easier to mow than the hybrid Bermuda in front. That was a real workout while the sun mercifully went down before I finished. :oops:
Lots of flowers coming up everywhere, might cruise down to Anza to see the wildflowers soon. Also waiting for the cliff swallows to return, thought I heard one but not seeing any.

Have to mow the grass again, completely greened up and thick. Also need to cut some of the blooms off of the bird of paradise and some of the other plants.
The neighbor's dog keeps getting out of their yard and busted a hole in their fence. Great Dane "pup" lacks training and attention, already can put his head over the 6 foot fence. Behind us are two Bull Mastiffs who look through knot holes in the fence. On the other side are two German Shepherds and a Heinz 57. Across the street are two Pit Bulls and a scattering of Benji type terriers and Schmoo dogs.
Met five or six of the locals so far, everyone is real nice. They put out signs in the middle of the cul-de-sac so their kids can play in the street while they watch from their front porch.
A couple of motorcycles on the block, but nobody rides bicycles around here, probably because the streets are narrow and dangerous. Oh, and most of the drivers are psychos texting as they go. :twisted:

The front yard has to be mowed weekly, the back doesn't get as much sun so it can go another week easily. Only 41°f tonight so I'm sure that Chomper, the Global Warming Tortoise, is getting chilled. My feet sure are. :eek:
When it warms back up I'll have to spot spray for weeds and cut some roses for the kitchen window. :)

Just couldn't mow today. Sinusitis really bad last couple of days. Blinding mule-kick to the face headache under the R eye. Not the day to breathe dust from the lawnmower. It's on the side of my face thst I got clobbered on when I got jumped and stabbed in the head a couple of years ago so doubly bad. Might have to see some quack doctor tomorrow after work. :(

Finally saw the right Dr after work, turned out to be a really good visit. Took doses of three meds and 30 minutes later felt like eating. Now an hour later, the pain is beginning to subside. Sweet little Oliver came and laid rown on my belly. He must sense that Daddy's not feeling well. I need a nap now, will re-dose when I wake up. :)

Windy today, allergy season is in full swing. Lots of tree pollen in the air; the fields and hills have been drying out lately and everything else is in full bloom.
South winds here are partially blocked by the Santa Rosa Mountains, it was blowing much harder in the Temecula Valley to the southwest.
The rain will probably cause another round of weeds to germinate. :?

Went out to eat for Mother's Day. Wifey's half sister is visiting us this week. Then we all went up up into the mountains for a couple of hours to get some coffee, buy grandma something, and walk Oliver around Idyllwild so he could meet some other doggies. High temperature only in the upper 50s above 5,000 feet, so was cool but nice and sunny without much wind. :)

Took advantage of the cool weather to mow and weed the front and back yards. Still no sign of Chomper, the Global Warming Tortoise. The below average temperatures this week and the occasional freak hot day must have given him a reptile conniption fit. All his speedier lizard cousins are around though, dodging the lawn mower as I pushed it along the sunny back planter.
Noticed quite a few unusual birds around here, among them an owl which hoots at night and a handsome little black bird which seems to be saying "feed me". Lots of hummingbirds, mockingbirds, and the occasional crow round out the feathered community. 8)

http://ktla.com/2018/05/17/300-acre-brush-fire-near-hemet-prompts-evacuations-0-contained/ :shock:
Brush fire about 12 miles southwest of the house. Wifey could smell the smoke while I was at work. Had to detour coming home but by then most of it must have been under containment; I saw one fire truck was leaving the area on the way home around 10pm. I go past that lake to get to work. Scroll down for news 'copter footage.

Fire is out today, smoke still lingering at higher elevations against the western slope of Mt. San Jacinto and Tahquitz Peak. :x
Had to replace the sprinkler riser in front of the house, and put in a taller toilet in grandma's bathroom so she doesn't need grab bars installed. :|

Neighbor's orange tabby cat seen stalking a blue jay in the front yard as I rolled the garbage cans to the curb. If Oliver sees cats he'll bark at them to scare them away, but he knows better than to chase one. If one turned on him he'd get a whoopin' because they outweigh him by more than two to one. :lol:

Back