My Chinese Ebay Build

kneedeep said:
Well I have 2000-2400 km on the bike and it has been very uneventful. The bike is working great rides nice no big issues not really any little ones either.

After 9 months it looks like you have yourself a really nice ride.

Having just read the thread from beginning to end I've a few questions.

1. Do you have a feel for your total cost? I realise that may be difficult to access given the number of mis-supplies/mis-orders/rethinks and your tendency to buy extras for spares etc.
  • You seem remarkably laid back about the whole supplier/wrong stuff/delays problems. Are you just zen; or is there a pile of broken screens and keyboards out the back somewhere? How much time did you spend resolving supplier issues?
  • Would you do it the same way (chinese Ebay; whatever that means?) again?

I would put the total cost between $3500 and $4500 CAD and that is with all the doubles and extras. I figure I could build another even better bike now for about $2500 as I already have a lot of the parts.
I am calmer in my age and last year at this time I had a bike burn to the ground (Emmo GT80) from a bad charger or not enough testing so I started this build early in the year to be sure it would be ready.
Also I have a lot of other projects on the go and I don't have time to get mad. I am currently building a 28x30 shop for a man cave.
Absolutely would do ebay china again as this same bike would be $6500 with out it. Free shipping on Ebay China is 2-3 months so you need to plan for it but the price is incomparable. Consider this I have a 2004 sienna AWD and a part I needed was $41 at Toyota and $1.63 on ebay new in the same package. So I went with Ebay as I am cheaper then I am patient.
I am adding the battery disconnect in place of a solid state relay that failed last week. The relay is the only failure so far and I am at about 6-7000 KM as this is my daily driver. Lots of people asked why heavy frame , moto wheels and such for a commuter and it is proven in the reliability where the value lies. I am also running this bike at low 25 amps to keep things under stressed and top it out about 45KPH. The biggest feet in the build for me personally is the functional signal, brake and running lights and aslo the correct chain ring for cadence. I have never been bothered by the police and they smile when I go by as I pass 2-3 a day on my commute.

kneedeep said:
Free shipping on Ebay China is 2-3 months so you need to plan for it but the price is incomparable.

'scuse if I'm being thick, but do you mean ebay.cn?

If so, do you read chinese?

Well I had my first flat tonight. I left work at 10 pm about 200 feet out realized rear tire was flat. It was pouring rain so frustrated drove anyway couple kilometers to plaza to get out of the rain and see why it was flat. Rusty piece of box cutter blade sticking out. I drove most of the way home about 25kph walked up the steep hills then hit low voltage cut out just as I turned onto my street and walked the last block. I bought 2 spare tubes when I built the bike in the spring so will install one on the weekend but I might be done for the season as it is supposed to be freezing rest of the week and stay cold here. The motor had to work a lot harder with the flat but I was impressed the battery brought me 95% of the 16 kilometer trip home with a flat. This is after the 16 kilometer drive to work and only on 48v 25ah. While I have the wheel off to fix the flat I will install new Brake Rotor and pads as the pads are down to steel on the back.

Other planned upgrades will be:

Tapered roller bearings for the swing arm bushing. (the standard bearings are completely shot and I have about 1/4 play in swing arm)

I have purchased bus bars to clean up the wiring.

Will look for lighter moped 19" tires or go to 17" front 16" rear.

Better rear lights for drivers to see me.

New paint and epoxy primer (already rusting)

Motocross Bars.

I plan to add J1772 and AVC2.R for charge point this winter. I already have my Charge Point account and we have a lot of Charge Points here.

Ordered my J1772 Extension cord today to set up public charging. I am interested in finding a good setup for on board 240vac charger to charge my 48V lifepo4.

Attachments

• s-l1600.jpg
    s-l1600.jpg
    176.7 KB · Views: 4,761
My J1772 cord arrived today. I will have the one end setup to plug into 220v outlet in the shop and the socket will be mounted to the frame of the bike.

Attachments

• IMG_5160.JPG
    IMG_5160.JPG
    57.8 KB · Views: 5,326
Its has been a long time since I have posted or had time to work on the bike. With the nice weather on the horizon I plan to work on the bike over the next week. I will be installing the J1772 plug, 48volt golf cart solenoid, and some new tail lights. here are some of the new ebay items that have arrived.

Attachments

• 364.JPG
    364.JPG
    51.4 KB · Views: 5,068
  • 370.JPG
    370.JPG
    33.7 KB · Views: 5,068
  • 372.JPG
    372.JPG
    41 KB · Views: 5,067
  • IMG_5171.JPG
    IMG_5171.JPG
    37 KB · Views: 5,068
Part way through the J1772 install along with new 48v solenoid.

Attachments

• IMG_5178.JPG
    IMG_5178.JPG
    48.2 KB · Views: 5,012
  • IMG_5180.JPG
    IMG_5180.JPG
    47.6 KB · Views: 5,012
  • IMG_5181.JPG
    IMG_5181.JPG
    46.1 KB · Views: 5,012
  • IMG_5182.JPG
    IMG_5182.JPG
    55.8 KB · Views: 5,012
  • IMG_5183.JPG
    IMG_5183.JPG
    49.1 KB · Views: 5,012
  • IMG_5184.JPG
    IMG_5184.JPG
    54.7 KB · Views: 5,012
J1772 is finished and will test next nice day at a charge station. I have put new brakes on the bike and will be adding a new light switch with mirror mount.

Attachments

• IMG_5187.JPG
    IMG_5187.JPG
    52.7 KB · Views: 4,978
  • IMG_5186.JPG
    IMG_5186.JPG
    38.2 KB · Views: 4,978
  • IMG_5190.JPG
    IMG_5190.JPG
    40 KB · Views: 4,978
  • IMG_5189.JPG
    IMG_5189.JPG
    52.9 KB · Views: 4,978
Thats a serious charge port :D

file.php

Its apparent you have learned a good lesson from your last ebikes flame up on the end of a charger. Glad no one was hurt.

Im curious what top speed you get on it ,

Success charge station communication is good and charging started no problem. Just need warm weather to ride everyday.

Attachments

• IMG_5196.JPG
    IMG_5196.JPG
    66.4 KB · Views: 4,826
  • IMG_5194.JPG
    IMG_5194.JPG
    50.1 KB · Views: 4,826
  • IMG_5201.JPG
    IMG_5201.JPG
    28.4 KB · Views: 4,826
Excellent. I want to look into doing this myself , what supplier did you use for the charge port and related electronics ?

Like the title says... Ebay. I just bought a J1772 extension cord put one end on the bike and a 240 volt ac plug the other. SAE J1772 on Wikipedia explains resistors needed. A spare charger in the bike.

I had another flat tonight When I came out of work(had one in December also) drove home on the flat so will be buying a new tire tomorrow with tube might go to lighter less aggressive front and rear. I have www.royaldistributing.com 30 min away.

Well I bought front and rear 100/90-19 Kenda K671 Cruiser ST these were the cheapest that would work. They were slightly heavier than the old tires. I bout a cheap set of handlebars for an ATV to try they were $34 new. I had to shorten the bars 4". They look a little odd but the ride is a lot more comfortable. I might add a MX headlight setup down the road. The tire was contacting the swing arm so I trimmed the sides with a razor blade and then dressed the side with a piece of wood. I added a mirror but do not like it will buy another this week. I also wired in the horn. The stem is a BMX Zoom to fit the bars.

Attachments

• IMG_5208.JPG
    IMG_5208.JPG
    52.1 KB · Views: 4,587
  • IMG_5209.JPG
    IMG_5209.JPG
    51.5 KB · Views: 4,587
  • IMG_5211.JPG
    IMG_5211.JPG
    48.7 KB · Views: 4,587
  • IMG_5214.JPG
    IMG_5214.JPG
    58.6 KB · Views: 4,587
  • IMG_5202.JPG
    IMG_5202.JPG
    58.8 KB · Views: 4,587
Well I have a week and about 150km on the bike with new tires brakes and handle bars. I am very happy with the setup. It is slower due to heavier tires and larger diameter but the ride quality is fantastic ides so smooth. What i thought was chatter from the brakes is gone so must have been the aggressive tread. The handle bars are extremely comfortable and easier on me as I am seated in a better upright position. The position has taken my weight off my wrists and centered my weight better over the bike so the suspension works better and smoother on the bad roads. It also catches more wind resistance in my upright position slowing the bike even more. I am guessing I am topping out at 40kph and the biggest hill drops me to about 20kph with pedaling. I am using a higher gear on the cassette (smallest one) so my cadence is better almost to top speed. I figure my cadence now is good to 35-38kph. I also love the new signals, light and horn switch with mirror mount (dont like the mirror will buy another).

Quick Recap:
Chinese Ebay Frame
Black Pie Vector (Goldenmotor)
19"x1.8 rear, 19"x1.6 (ERT) front
100/90-19 Kenda K671 Cruiser ST (Front and Back)
48v 25ah lifepo4 Chinese from Ebay
Bomber 888 Fork
203 disc Front and Rear
Fox Full Float R Rear Shock
Mud Hugger Front and Rear fenders
ATV Aftermarket Bars

Lights:
6"LED Fog Light for the Headlight.
LED signals front
LED Amber Penny Lights for signals
Red LED Penny Lights for Running and Brake
LED Charge Status Lights

48v Golf-cart Solenoid for Main Contactor
50Amp Thermal Breaker

SAE J1772 Charge Port

Well another year in the books. This year ended same as the last with a flat tire then snow came. The bike is in the shop ready to get some TLC and i will start my new build soon. Phoenix https://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=96216 .

I put another 7 or 8000 km on the bike putting it at around the 18 000 km mark. Other than a couple upgrades ( bars, solenoid, tires and brake pads) did not have one issue or break down.

have you measured the steerer angle? it looks very steep, almost like a trials bike :shock:

Sean9002 said:
have you measured the steerer angle? it looks very steep, almost like a trials bike :shock:
No I have not, but it drives very well (on road).

Back