Harley-Davidson Announces Electric Motorcycle Coming in 2019

Harley-Davidson Announces First Electric Motorcycle Coming to market in 2019 :

harley-davidson-project-livewire-4.jpg

https://insideevs.com/harley-davidson-announces-first-electric-motorcycle-coming-within-18-months/

Let's hope they don't go out of business first.

Harley-Davidson will close its Kansas City, Missouri plant as part of a cost-cutting move as it continues to face dwindling shipments.

The Milwaukee company reported a 7.9 percent drop to 241,498 motorcycle shipments in 2017 and expects the figure to continue dropping. It forecast 231,000 to 236,000 motorcycle shipments in 2018.

Harley-Davidson's stock ended 8 percent lower Tuesday

Millennial's probably couldn't tell a Harley from a hand rail. Going electric is something a millennial might understand. I say maybe, because without a phone they are so inept! :lol: :lol:

:D

Hehe... Maybe "over the top" aka a "dying breath" where more than half of the world is now "urban" featuring "short" distances at "slow" speeds. :wink:

^^ Hehe... `Been "promising"/"threatening" for years now... :) Their "problem" maybe, the tech re batteries and electric traction is "moving TOO fast". :mrgreen:

I read about this bike - sounds light-years ahead of their gasoline machines. I wonder if this has anything to do with the plant closing in my neck of the woods...

madmatmax said:
I read about this bike - sounds light-years ahead of their gasoline machines. I wonder if this has anything to do with the plant closing in my neck of the woods...

looks like Harley Davidson may have some competition in the electric cruiser motorcycle market..

Tacita T-Cruise :

tacita-t-cruise-electric-motorcycle-1.jpg

[youtube]-sNqQizTeR0[/youtube]

https://newatlas.com/tacita-t-cruise-electric-motorcycle/51371/

Hehe... Wiki: "Tacita is a genus of sea snails, marine gastropod mollusks in the family Buccinidae, the true whelks."

... when really it's Mandarin Chinese dialect for "Harley". :lol:

LockH said:
Hehe... Wiki: "Tacita is a genus of sea snails, marine gastropod mollusks in the family Buccinidae, the true whelks."

... when really it's Mandarin Chinese dialect for "Harley". :lol:

Tacita electric motorcycles are manufactured in Italy.. in Latin tacita means "silence".. 8)

kerim said:
amberwolf said:
Didn't they already do this four years ago?

Yes. Here a video from August 2014:

[youtube]vuhPZTrSmBw[/youtube]

that was the product introduction to the public in which Harley sent their prototype electric motorcycle on a marketing tour of the US to promote and gauge public interest..

but now Harley has announced that the bike is scheduled for serial production and entry into the market for actual sale to the public and availability at dealerships..

Harley-Davidson and Alta Motors to co-develop electric motorcycles.. :

"Motorcycle giant Harley-Davidson is now a stakeholder in Alta Motors, the electric motorcycle and light vehicle EV drivetrain maker based in Brisbane, California. Harley-Davidson and Alta made the investment public, and also announced that Alta Motors will collaborate with the legendary motorbike maker on building future electric motorcycles as part of the deal..
"

8)

https://techcrunch.com/2018/03/01/h...ta-motors-to-co-develop-electric-motorcycles/

Harley is teaming up with Alta? Seems like a pretty good team for Harley to hook up with, so far as far as electric motorcycles are concerned my wish list includes Zero, KTM and Alta MX bike looks spectacular as well. This partnership might be the best thing Harley has done in decades.

^^ EVen H-D can see the future... as "urban"... featuring "short-er distances" and "slow-er speeds"... so the REAL H-D product release will be a bike yah can pedal. ... with a bettery-electric assist motor... and more drink holders.

:wink:

^^ HAHA... "sound like the timing is retarded"... :lol:

efMX Trials Electric Freeride said:
kerim said:
amberwolf said:
Didn't they already do this four years ago?

Yes. Here a video from August 2014:

that was the product introduction to the public in which Harley sent their prototype electric motorcycle on a marketing tour of the US to promote and gauge public interest..

but now Harley has announced that the bike is scheduled for serial production and entry into the market for actual sale to the public and availability at dealerships..

Of course the same questions remain: price, range, and did they really have to add noise?

I realize that the deafening racket made by their current offerings are actually caused by aftermarket products; but the earsplitting noise is a big turn off to many customers.

Zero can make a motorcycle that doesn't require its riders to wear earplugs. Why can't HD figure it out?

The best thing they could do is to not sell this at traditional HD dealerships. The market they are trying to target is not the pirate costume market. Sure, let people know that this bike as a major manufacturer behind it; but one blast from the typical ill-tuned straight-pipe HD and the potential customer for these wont even go in the dealerships door.

How do I know this, I dealt with a millennial (my daughter) who was very interested in the Buel 500. She had talked to a couple of women riding them and then did some reading on it and decided that we should go look at one. we got to the dealership, as we were walking to the door we were blasted by a bunch of "typical HDs" She put her hands over her ears and headed back to the car. When I got back to the car she said, "we can go now." She was done looking before we ever made it to the door. HD needs to distance themselves from that.

I am also a teacher. Students talk about "aspirational vehicles" quite a bit. Frankly, I never hear them speak of HD in that context. For HD, this is a problem.

Hehe... almost a year later... news re the "new" Harley Davidson electrics now flooding news sites... eg:

Harley-Davidson announces Livewire price and opens orders
("The announcement was made at CES in Las Vegas yesterday"):
https://www.visordown.com/news/new-bikes/harley-davidson-announces-livewire-price-and-opens-orders

And at CES in Las Vegas yesterday, Harley-Davidson announced that it will begin taking orders in the US for the $29,799 (£23,376) bike, with deliveries to begin in August this year. UK order books are expected to open next month, with price yet to be confirmed.

[Sigh] Zero word re HD ebikes w/pedals... :roll:

Harley adds two new prototypes

In addition to the new LiveWire, Harley Davidson also announced two new electric motorbike prototypes which the company called as the HD Electric Concept 2 (scooter) and the HD Electric Concept 1 (dirt bike). The crowd will get more about these three newly revealed all-electric motorcycles at the upcoming 2019 Consumer Electronics Show (CES) in Las Vegas, Nevada.

Seen here:
https://us.blastingnews.com/tech/20...ounces-new-electric-motorcycle-002812481.html

This is the one that looks like it might actually become available

Harley-Davidson-LiveWire-prototype.jpg

They also had a couple of interesting electric concept bikes (that will probably never see production). One looks like a Sur-ron and the other one looks like a banana bike with a broken headlight.

harley-davidson-electric-concept-1.jpg

Back