Thread for new battery breakthrough PR releases

helpfulguy said:
I was looking for such a forum where one can post news like this and discuss it, but found none. I only found Battery Technology.

Chin up "helpfulguy" from Sweden... Your post on ES "Thread for new battery breakthrough PR releases" totally relevant. Carry On Sir. :wink:

Glad your post found the right home helpful guy. Etiquette dictates that articles on future technology that may come to pass is posted on this thread but new batteries that you can buy now get their own thread. The reason being possible future technology outnumbers new batteries you can buy a hundred to one or more.

logo-pinkbike-corporate.png

(They say:)
Pinkbike.com is the top mountain biking website in the world. Our informative content and its community-oriented presentation attracts and allows you as the advertiser a highly unique niche sector of the market.

Thomas Estaque Absolutely Blasting an eMTB in Southwestern France:
https://www.pinkbike.com/news/thomas-estaque-blasting-meta-power-emtb-in-southwestern-france.html

... w/a vid not on YT yet... :mrgreen:

In the latest battery breakthrough claim of the week, researchers from the University of Waterloo released a new paper claiming a breakthrough involving the use of negative electrodes made of lithium metal.

They claim that it has the potential to “dramatically increase battery storage capacity,” which could triple the range of electric vehicles.

http://www.cell.com/joule/fulltext/S2542-4351(17)30180-0

Warning !!! Rocket Science ! Your brain will hurt reading the full article , oozing and chuckfull with credibility."The Real Mccoy"IMO.

Hehe... "battery breakthrough claim of the week"... :lol:

(This thread:) "Search found 1 match: silica"... but not THIS silica...

Samsung’s “Balls” Battery Charges At 5C, Retains 78.6% Capacity After 500 Cycles:
https://insideevs.com/samsungs-balls-battery-charges-at-5c-retains-78-6-capacity-after-500-cycles/

Starts:
The specs look promising, but we’ll have to wait to find out if it works as described in the real world. :roll:

The Samsung Advanced Institute of Technology (SAIT) has presented promising test results of a new a graphene–silica assembly, called a graphene ball that improves battery performance.

The new concept apparently increases the energy density of the cells to over 400 Wh/kg, as well as cycle life and fast charging capability.

SAIT reports a 78.6% capacity retention after 500 ultra-fast cycles at 5C current (12-minute charging) at a high temperature of 60˚C. The capacity should of course fade slower when charging at lower speeds.

While we are of course concerned about another breakthrough in battery technology that exists only in the lab, this time it’s released by researchers that are connected to giant battery manufacturer Samsung SDI.

:)

Might seem insignificant but I would welcome such a powerbrick. Perfect for the renaissance man on the go, that can power up what ever need be and only needs 20 min to recharge.

rojitor said:

I really wish I am wrong. But tell me why this sound wrong:
Are you telling me, that a small company from nowhere asking consumers for up-front $10,000 will deliver what the LG/Samsung cannot, after have been working on it for years pushing billions and billions in R&D? If they had working graphene cells at those specs, ready for mass production into market, they would not need our $10,000 - they would swim in gold coins and diamonds on a luxury yacht. They would have investors begging to accept their money. Their family and friends would come up with $10 000. So why did not anyone invest? Why do they turn to us for investment, the common consumer with no or little business sense? And the cells in those power banks would have been available to us as well, manufacturers of anything driven by batteries. But they are no where to be seen. I don't like this, I hope I am wrong.

Nothing wrong with that.... anything positive about that? Of course not.
Powerbanks are often made with defective cells discarded for better use. I wish we had graphene available for our battery packs. That's all. Nothing to worry about and Nothing to celebrate either. I wish Nothing but the best for that startup.

rojitor said:
Nothing wrong with that.... anything positive about that? Of course not.
Powerbanks are often made with defective cells discarded for better use. I wish we had graphene available for our battery packs. That's all. Nothing to worry about and Nothing to celebrate either. I wish Nothing but the best for that startup.

To clarify, I get the feeling this is a vapor ware startup, things don't add up. I wish I am wrong.

https://www.greentechmedia.com/articles/read/a-new-lithium-metal-battery-takes-flight-in-drones#gs.FB_ty_o

"A Massachusetts-based startup says it’s doing something that no other company has been able to pull off: selling lithium-metal batteries commercially.

And they’re appearing first in drones.

SolidEnergy Systems, a spin-out from MIT, has developed a battery that it says has double the energy density of current lithium-ion batteries. That means that a battery from SolidEnergy Systems could be half the size of a standard lithium-ion battery and hold the same amount of energy, or it could be the same size as a lithium-ion battery and hold twice as much energy."

News about SolidEnergy Systems from January:

SolidEnergy Announces $34M Series C Investment and Hires New Chief Operating Officer:
https://www.businesswire.com/news/h...rgy-Announces-34M-Series-Investment-Hires-New

Includes:
The company also announced that Bud Collins, the former CEO of NEC Energy Solutions and President of A123 Energy Solutions, has joined SolidEnergy Systems as COO. With extensive experience spanning nearly three decades, Bud brings valuable experience in management, product and business development to SolidEnergy during a period of rapid growth. As COO, Bud will lead and direct the company’s operations enabling further growth into the UAV, Wearables, Smartphones and Electric Vehicles markets. “I am very excited to join SolidEnergy Systems at this moment in time where they are entering into the commercialization phase of their technologies,” said Collins. “SolidEnergy’s ability to leverage existing infrastructure of cell manufacturers is a key enabler in bringing their technology to market quickly and with the highest quality.”

A123 guy "buys in"? Interesting...

SolidEnergy says: If you’re interested in becoming an SES customer, investor or team member, we’d really like to hear from you.

:)

Back