2 electric controllers/motors wiring setup

rockypro1

10 W
Hi all,

I am in the process of putting 2 x 48 volt motors (wheels) on my mountain bike.
The thing I would like help with is and l'm (trying to keep it simple no high tech please)

The front wheel e-wheel kit came With digital throttle with a red on off switch, it has the normal red, black and green but also a yellow,brown and while to its controller for its own settings to its motor.

And the rear e-wheel kit came with a lcd screen with the same red,black and green but also a yellow and blue wire to its controller for its settings to its motor.

So what I need to know is in the diagram below I will be running the two controllers from the digital throttle green wires I think 5 volt to run both motors.
What I need to know is will the lcd screen setup menu settings to its motor and the throttle setup to its motor conflict with each other even though I'm only joining the two green wires to send a signal to give power to the two motors..

Here's the pictures of my setup.

Hope this doesn't sound to confusing.

Thanks for your help. Sean.

Thanks to photobucket's bad site design/scripting/etc, I can't view the images (you'd be best to attach them directly to your post), but if I understand correctly, only one kit has a throttle?

If one kit is a throttle kit, and the other is a PAS (no-throttle) kit, then you may not be able to use the no-throttle kit with a throttle at all (some have no connector or function for one).

It sounds like you have one kit with just an LCD, no throttle. Is that correct?

Does it have a connector for a throttle, but just not come with a throttle?

And a second kit that has a throttle, no LCD. Is that correct?

If so, the LCD from the one will only talk to and show data from and change settings on that specific controller.

If the LCD unit has no throttle connector, then the throttle can only control the controller it came with.

If both kits have throttle connectors, but only one comes with a throttle, then you can connect both to the same throttle. There are a few threads about 2WD or AWD that have info on setting that up. This one
https://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=33429
probably has the most info on various setups in one place.

There are a lot of others with different setups, mostly about specific 2WD builds (whose info may or may not apply to yours):
https://endless-sphere.com/forums/search.php?keywords=2wd&terms=all&author=&sc=1&sf=titleonly&sr=topics&sk=t&sd=d&st=0&ch=300&t=0&submit=Search

or

https://endless-sphere.com/forums/search.php?keywords=awd&terms=all&author=&sc=1&sf=titleonly&sr=topics&sk=t&sd=d&st=0&ch=300&t=0&submit=Search

Hi,

Both kits are from the same makers, Voilamart. 40 volt and both switchable between 250 Watts or 1000 Watts with switch on the controllers.
My plan is to build a trailer and use the 2wd for pulling climbing etc.

Both kits came with throttles.

Should I use the digital or analogue one to run both controllers

The front kit came with a digital throttle only.

The rear kit came with a LCD and analog throttle in the link below.

I used a different site to link the photos.

This one came with the rear kit.
https://www.imageupload.co.uk/images/2018/02/04/e-bikethrottleanalog.jpg

Thank you also for the links very informative indeed. It will help me out a lot. cheers

What do you mean digital/analog? One has an LED voltage readout?

All ebike throttles I've seen are simple hall sensor devices, about as "analog" as it gets. They take 5V input, and output a variable voltage depending on throttle position. Nothing digital going on there.

You should be able to split the output signal from one throttle and send it to two controllers. Just make sure you only connect the input (+5V supply) from one controller to the throttle, but send the output (green wire usually I think) to both controllers. You'll also need to join the ground wires (black usually), just not the +5V one (Red I assume).

dustNbone said:
What do you mean digital/analog? One has an LED voltage readout?

All ebike throttles I've seen are simple hall sensor devices, about as "analog" as it gets. They take 5V input, and output a variable voltage depending on throttle position. Nothing digital going on there.

You should be able to split the output signal from one throttle and send it to two controllers. Just make sure you only connect the input (+5V supply) from one controller to the throttle, but send the output (green wire usually I think) to both controllers. You'll also need to join the ground wires (black usually), just not the +5V one (Red I assume).

What it means then from what I can see is that the lcd screen that came with the rear wheel powers on/off the rear controller from the lcd screen.
And the throttle with the display (which came with the front wheel kit)and with power on/off switch which powers on/off to the front controller and turning off power to the throttle its self.
I think then that the main drive wheel will have be the front wheel as if I switch off the throttle it won't run the rear. As it will have no power to the throttle.
So its front OR front and rear at same time?

Yeah that will be one limitation of that setup. Another option is to use an independent 5V supply direct off your battery to feed power to both hall sensors.

Maybe something like this to step the voltage down

https://www.ebay.ca/itm/DC-DC-3V-5V...own-Voltage-Converter-Module-Car/192076520025

Another thing that would work is using an A-AB-B switch on the throttle signal (output) that would allow you to switch which controller(s) receive the throttle signal. I'm not sure how your controllers would respond to having the throttle connected while they're powered up, so you might need to power them off while changing the position of the switch.

dustNbone said:
Yeah that will be one limitation of that setup. Another option is to use an independent 5V supply direct off your battery to feed power to both hall sensors.

Maybe something like this to step the voltage down

https://www.ebay.ca/itm/DC-DC-3V-5V...own-Voltage-Converter-Module-Car/192076520025

Another thing that would work is using an A-AB-B switch on the throttle signal (output) that would allow you to switch which controller(s) receive the throttle signal. I'm not sure how your controllers would respond to having the throttle connected while they're powered up, so you might need to power them off while changing the position of the switch.

Don't know if I'd go for the module setup as its to tech for me. Will this one you linked work for me? I think I'll go for the front drive or front and rear drive setup.

The A-AB-B sounds good but I'd forget and switch it when its on burn it out :oops: .

Will it mean I'll have to try get the speed settings on the rear motor lcd settings as close to the factory settings of the front motor.
Thanks Sean.

That module is just to give you 5V to supply the hall sensor for the throttle, I don't see why it wouldn't work. You supply it with high voltage on one side and it spits low voltage out the other side. That way no matter which controller(s) are powered up, the throttle will always work.

As for the A-AB-B switch, I don't think burning anything out is a worry, I was more thinking about the controllers suddenly going to wide open on you when you weren't ready for it. That can be rather alarming.

As for the speed control of the two controllers, and how they sync up, I'd check some of the other 2WD threads here on ES out. This has been done successfully before, but not by me.

dustNbone said:
That module is just to give you 5V to supply the hall sensor for the throttle, I don't see why it wouldn't work. You supply it with high voltage on one side and it spits low voltage out the other side. That way no matter which controller(s) are powered up, the throttle will always work.

As for the A-AB-B switch, I don't think burning anything out is a worry, I was more thinking about the controllers suddenly going to wide open on you when you weren't ready for it. That can be rather alarming.

As for the speed control of the two controllers, and how they sync up, I'd check some of the other 2WD threads here on ES out. This has been done successfully before, but not by me.

Here's the connections for the controllers I am making.
https://www.imageupload.co.uk/image/EkNc

Could you please show me a diagram of how to connect up the module, I'd be very grateful to you.
Also if I use the module will I still need to put on the A-AB-B switch also?

Hi dustNbone,

Well I ordered the module.

Is it right in saying that I connect the battery to the input side of the module 48 Volt (will it need to be fused?) and the red and black to the throttle at 5V setting. So like you said the throttle will always have power.

Then run the green wire from the throttle to both controllers.

Here is a picture I done a bit of editing on to show you. Dose this look right to you?
i2pm5j.jpg

Sean.

Looks right to me. If both controllers are also connected to the same battery then they will have a common ground, so all should work as intended. Just make sure to check polarity on the output of the module before you connect it to the throttle, reverse polarity can cook hall sensors.

Fuse or not is up to you, personally I wouldn't worry about it.

dustNbone said:
Looks right to me. If both controllers are also connected to the same battery then they will have a common ground, so all should work as intended. Just make sure to check polarity on the output of the module before you connect it to the throttle, reverse polarity can cook hall sensors.

Fuse or not is up to you, personally I wouldn't worry about it.
I'm glad this setup will work I was starting to get very worried.
I was looking at some of the old 2wd threads on here and I read some of the guys use two throttles and they say it works better for them. Whats your take on this?
I am thinking of adding a second battery sometime in the future so will this still work earth wise.

I was going to ask about Battery info here e.g Where to buy, amps etc. or do you think I should ask in the battery area of the forum.
Thank you for your help I am very grateful to you.
Sean.

Hi,

Batteries?
I'm looking for opinions on Batteries for my e-bike build.
Here's links to some I came across. What do you guys think.
Anyone buy any of these?. Both are on Amazon. I am nervous of buying form Aliexpress because of customs might be very high.

This one looks like a good one as it's 18AH.
https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B077H57CYJ/ref=ox_sc_sfl_title_1?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=A1AA005NKU35GB

I like the shape of this one but its only 12AH
https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B078GM29Q9/?coliid=I27XGFBZ5WMBRP&colid=2KY1AMSNHVM76&psc=0&ref_=lv_ov_lig_dp_it

Grateful for any help. Thanks

Hi,

This is where I'm at with the 2wd build

I built a controller box with perspex glass and I put in neon lights have look at the video.

The next few things I have to do is put on brakes sort out gears hook up throttle and lcd screen etc. I'm still looking around about batteries.

If the controller box build get boring you can jump to 8.00 mins to see the part where I got the neon lights and the finished bit hope ya's like.
Cheers
https://youtu.be/wcr-8ChezAE

Back