My Bafang Ultra Mountain Bike! Frey AM1000

Keithonline said:
I have ordered a AM1000 sample to try out. I work with a bike shop that sells Haibikes, and that’s what I ride. I’m getting it shipped to NY port. We’re really excited to see a high power factory-built e-bike. We’re hoping for great quality and finish like the Haibike, and the Frey components are very good. We’re upgrading the sample to a Lyrik fork and also the SRAM EX1 group. On paper this is one of the best spec’d bike to be found. Also, I have to say I’ve dealt with Chinese suppliers in the past, and Ivy, at Frey is by far the single best representative I have ever dealt with. Better than US reps too. Frey’s up front service and comments here has convinced me that they are the manufacturer I want to try out. Hopefully after-sales issues will be small and Frey will be just as helpful as they’ve been with the pre-order service.

Here is a couple of the color schemes Ivy sent. We’re not settled yet on the final choice but I’d like to share with you guys to get some thoughts:

I like the yellow! (Might just be the black lettering in the top tube.)

Will see if either of the others grows on me before my shipment.

IMG_20180201_173121.jpg

Anybody know where can i found this connector? I have tried about everything with no luck, was pretty sure its some sort of mini XLR but looks like its not.

If somebody don´t know its the chargers connector to AM1000 battery, sorry.

edit. So i still don´t know how to share my photos succesfully, damnit.
edit2. Sorry for the pic size.. :oops:

nataS@phnet.fi said:
IMG_20180201_173121.jpg

Anybody know where can i found this connector? I have tried about everything with no luck, was pretty sure its some sort of mini XLR but looks like its not.

edit. So i still don´t know how to share my photos succesfully, damnit.
edit2. Sorry for the pic size.. :oops:

This one is XLR 3Pin 1+2-
You can check on the Power charger from Aliexpress.

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/48V-4A-Lithium-ion-battery-Charger/874817149.html?spm=2114.search0104.3.47.20297b71KlI9Re&ws_ab_test=searchweb0_0,searchweb201602_4_10152_10151_10065_10344_10068_10342_10343_10313_10059_10340_10341_10534_100031_10084_10604_10617_10083_10616_10103_10307_10615_10142-10616normal#cfs,searchweb201603_2,ppcSwitch_3&algo_expid=368cac44-e631-452e-8367-304dbb83313d-6&algo_pvid=368cac44-e631-452e-8367-304dbb83313d&priceBeautifyAB=4

As I bought an additional charger from them.

nataS@phnet.fi said:

That looks like a Higo connector. Pretty small for a charger connection. I have only seen them on the ends of cables, so you might need to buy an extension cable and cut off one end.

Hi.

I notice that most of the people commenting and advising on this thread seem to be experienced and knowledgable with regard to off-road riding, the equipment and various components that go into making these capable machines. But, much of the terminology used has flown over my head, and I have found that some of the basic stuff, which is interesting for a novice, but probably boring for the experts doesn't really get covered.

Having just ordered a AM1000 I would like to offer the thread a different perspective. The perspective of a complete novice :)

I'm 54 years old, in good(ish) shape, and I love technology (not a techy though). I'm British but live in Southern Spain where cycling seems to be the national sport/pastime due to the amazing climate and stunning beauty.

e-MTB's have become really popular here, and I imagine in the rest of Europe as well, but they are still very over-priced, and limited to 15mph

I have been researching e-MTB's for a few months now and I came very close to ordering the same bike as my friend - a Specialized Turbo Levo which cost 8500€ ($9k), but a) I cannot afford it, and b) the power is limited to 15mph, it has no throttle and I just couldn't see 8500€ when I rode it. Remember, I'm a novice, a blunt instrument, so the super-duper quality components would be wasted on me (for now)

Anyway, 3 days ago thanks to the videos of Robocam (grateful), I found the Frey AM1000, and yesterday I pressed the button and placed my order with Ivy. I did it so soon partly because she told me that the factory will close for 3 weeks after this week and I didn't want to wait.

So, once my bike arrives I'm going to write a review and try to offer advise to others from the perspective of someone like myself ie a complete novice to Mountain Biking.

Ivy told me that I am the first to order from Spain. So I will report on my experience about ordering an e-bike directly from China to Europe, including any other costs involved. The quality of communication (during and after) and any hurdles that I come across.

I have to admit, the feeling of vulnerability is palpable. To press a button and send nearly 4000€ to somewhere other than Amazon (or anywhere else for that matter) is really scary. I've never done it before. However, I have to say it really does help to read, and hopefully be a future contributor to this thread. For example, as a result of reading others contributions, I have decided to change the front shocks to Lyrik. I've no idea what the difference is, but enough people with seemingly heaps of experience seem to think it's a worthwhile upgrade. Who am I to argue.

Well I haven't really got anything else to say at the moment. Writing this introduction has reminded me that I've just blown 4 grand...and I need to go lie down for a bit. Actually, in reality the bike has cost 8000€ because my wife has told me that she thinks it's only fair that she can go blow 4k as well :( - Any advise on that one?

If anyone wants to ask any non-technical questions about my experience and findings as things progress I will try to answer as honestly and promptly as possible.

Cheers for now

Dan

DaninSpain said:
Hi.

I notice that most of the people commenting and advising on this thread seem to be experienced and knowledgable with regard to off-road riding, the equipment and various components that go into making these capable machines. But, much of the terminology used has flown over my head, and I have found that some of the basic stuff, which is interesting for a novice, but probably boring for the experts doesn't really get covered.

Having just ordered a AM1000 I would like to offer the thread a different perspective. The perspective of a complete novice :)

I'm 54 years old, in good(ish) shape, and I love technology (not a techy though). I'm British but live in Southern Spain where cycling seems to be the national sport/pastime due to the amazing climate and stunning beauty.

e-MTB's have become really popular here, and I imagine in the rest of Europe as well, but they are still very over-priced, and limited to 15mph

I have been researching e-MTB's for a few months now and I came very close to ordering the same bike as my friend - a Specialized Turbo Levo which cost 8500€ ($9k), but a) I cannot afford it, and b) the power is limited to 15mph, it has no throttle and I just couldn't see 8500€ when I rode it. Remember, I'm a novice, a blunt instrument, so the super-duper quality components would be wasted on me (for now)

Anyway, 3 days ago thanks to the videos of Robocam (grateful), I found the Frey AM1000, and yesterday I pressed the button and placed my order with Ivy. I did it so soon partly because she told me that the factory will close for 3 weeks after this week and I didn't want to wait.

So, once my bike arrives I'm going to write a review and try to offer advise to others from the perspective of someone like myself ie a complete novice to Mountain Biking.

Ivy told me that I am the first to order from Spain. So I will report on my experience about ordering an e-bike directly from China to Europe, including any other costs involved. The quality of communication (during and after) and any hurdles that I come across.

I have to admit, the feeling of vulnerability is palpable. To press a button and send nearly 4000€ to somewhere other than Amazon (or anywhere else for that matter) is really scary. I've never done it before. However, I have to say it really does help to read, and hopefully be a future contributor to this thread. For example, as a result of reading others contributions, I have decided to change the front shocks to Lyrik. I've no idea what the difference is, but enough people with seemingly heaps of experience seem to think it's a worthwhile upgrade. Who am I to argue.

Well I haven't really got anything else to say at the moment. Writing this introduction has reminded me that I've just blown 4 grand...and I need to go lie down for a bit. Actually, in reality the bike has cost 8000€ because my wife has told me that she thinks it's only fair that she can go blow 4k as well :( - Any advise on that one?

If anyone wants to ask any non-technical questions about my experience and findings as things progress I will try to answer as honestly and promptly as possible.

Cheers for now

Dan

Dan, does Spain has limitation of 250watts and 25Km/hr as in most of the Country in Europe? AM1000 is pretty cool however the Ultra Motor is pretty obvious at a glance. You might want to buy your wife a bike from Frey later with M600 motor with 500 Watts. The good thing is, that motor will be more stealth looking on the bike.

Hello. I'm in France and interested by this AM1000...but i prefer waiting for the new M600 motor,probably enough for me.
I Hope that Frey will propose the same bike with this new motor and a 48v 21ah battery...

Excuse me for my Bad english..😣

I hesitated to post this, but I think since Frey is following this thread, they should have this feedback.

I have been using EndLess-Sphere for quite a while, and have built a few Ebikes, and sold a couple to friends.
A friend just asked me which bike he should buy now for his first Ebike and I suggested the Frey AM1000 (the subject of this thread). He contacted Ivy at Frey and received a quote for the bike and shipping. He then sent another message (the same day) that he was ready to purchase and asked for the additional price of a second battery, Lyrik front shock upgrade and a couple of additional derailleur hangers so that he could place the order. He has never heard back, even after repeated attempts for over a week. This understandably made him nervous, and has now decided to buy a different bike from a dealer in the U.S. I am actually watching closely the thread about the new bike you are designing with the upcoming Bafang M600, and hope that you will take this post as constructive feedback to a company that I hope does well in this market.

DaninSpain said:
Hi.

Cheers for now

Dan

Dan, I'd be interested in your thoughts. I'm similar age/ebike novice and bought the Biktrix Ultra FS rather than the Frey. Both bikes have the new Ultra motor and full suspension. Mine won't ship until end of the month (likely means mid March delivery). Like you, the thought of paying 2x for name brand with an underpowered motor seemed a ludicrous idea. Alibaba was a big deterrent in my decision in going with Biktrix (although I liked Biktrix components and larger optional 48v 20a battery better).

Love to see some video when you get your bike. Very few vids/reviews of Ultra motors so far.

[/quote]

Dan, does Spain has limitation of 250watts and 25Km/hr as in most of the Country in Europe? AM1000 is pretty cool however the Ultra Motor is pretty obvious at a glance. You might want to buy your wife a bike from Frey later with M600 motor with 500 Watts. The good thing is, that motor will be more stealth looking on the bike.
[/quote]

Yes, unfortunately Spain does have these rules. However, thankfully for now the police are very relaxed about enforcement provided that you don't rub it in their face. By rubbing it in their face I mean, for example, overtaking them on the road, or using an e-bike that doesn't have pedals such as the new Sur Ron bike (also from china) which looks very cool and well made, but a little too obvious to use on the road. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nst1fVwwx-w

When I asked for advice on my wife I was thinking more along the lines of cleverly talking her out of the expectation that she should also spend 4 grand haha. Anyhow, I think she'd prefer the equivalent value in handbags and shoes rather than a bike :(

leelorr said:
I hesitated to post this, but I think since Frey is following this thread, they should have this feedback.

I have been using EndLess-Sphere for quite a while, and have built a few Ebikes, and sold a couple to friends.
A friend just asked me which bike he should buy now for his first Ebike and I suggested the Frey AM1000 (the subject of this thread). He contacted Ivy at Frey and received a quote for the bike and shipping. He then sent another message (the same day) that he was ready to purchase and asked for the additional price of a second battery, Lyrik front shock upgrade and a couple of additional derailleur hangers so that he could place the order. He has never heard back, even after repeated attempts for over a week. This understandably made him nervous, and has now decided to buy a different bike from a dealer in the U.S. I am actually watching closely the thread about the new bike you are designing with the upcoming Bafang M600, and hope that you will take this post as constructive feedback to a company that I hope does well in this market.

This seems a little strange as I have been unusually impressed with my experience so far with Frey (Ivy Wang). When I made my 1st enquiry on Friday, I got a response super fast (within 10 minutes) from Ivy and we had several back and fourth communications, then I suddenly wondered about the time difference between Spain and China, so I googled it and found it to be passed 9pm...on a Friday. I was so impressed. When I decided to buy yesterday (Saturday), same speedy and super polite response.
I'm sure there will be an explanation for the lack of contact with your friend, as it doesn't seem to fit with all the reports I've read and my own experience.

Cruncher123 said:
DaninSpain said:
Hi.

Cheers for now

Dan

Dan, I'd be interested in your thoughts. I'm similar age/ebike novice and bought the Biktrix Ultra FS rather than the Frey. Both bikes have the new Ultra motor and full suspension. Mine won't ship until end of the month (likely means mid March delivery). Like you, the thought of paying 2x for name brand with an underpowered motor seemed a ludicrous idea. Alibaba was a big deterrent in my decision in going with Biktrix (although I liked Biktrix components and larger optional 48v 20a battery better).

Love to see some video when you get your bike. Very few vids/reviews of Ultra motors so far.
I'm behind the camera every day for a living, photos and video. I do like the idea of promoting the bike (if it turns out to be as good as I think it's going to be), especially to people in Spain. The problem with making videos (if they are done right) is they take a lot of time and effort, compared to contributing to forums. However, I'm sure as time goes on there will lots of YouTubers who will do it justice.
The bike you've ordered looks very similar to the Frey, maybe it's not but as I said, I'm a bit of a blunt instrument when it comes to the arena of eMTB's :) I hope you get it soon, and I'm sure you'll love it.

Daninspain
Could you please share the e-mail address you used to communicate with IVY at FREY. Thanks

TBM said:
Daninspain
Could you please share the e-mail address you used to communicate with IVY at FREY. Thanks

I communicated through the Alibaba website using the 'Reply to Message' tab.

Over the coming days I would like to lay out, by means of a time line, my thoughts and experiences about a first time purchase directly from China (as opposed to buying from a local bike shop), in order to give a rough indication of what you might expect from Frey with regard to the following steps:

Enquiries,
Ordering and Payment
Altering an order before shipping
Shipping costs
Delivery times and experience
Unboxing and Condition of bike upon delivery
Ease of build process (for a novice)
Accurate weight of delivered bike
1st Ride experience
Ease of software customisation (I will be using a 2017 MBP and I have mediocre technical skills).
Overall general thoughts about the Fray AM1000

Later updates (500kms, 1000km, 1500km) will include how the bike is holding up to wear and tear after usage, although I may need some reminding

As I mentioned in earlier posts, I am a novice in his mid 50's and do not intend to hammer the bike with fast and technical abuse, but I will be riding off-road, over rough undulating terrain, and on-road, as a form of transport.

Stand by :)

DaninSpain said:
Over the coming days I would like to lay out, by means of a time line, my thoughts and experiences about a first time purchase directly from China (as opposed to buying from a local bike shop), in order to give a rough indication of what you might expect from Frey with regard to the following steps:

Enquiries,
Ordering and Payment
Altering an order before shipping
Shipping costs
Delivery times and experience
Unboxing and Condition of bike upon delivery
Ease of build process (for a novice)
Accurate weight of delivered bike
1st Ride experience
Ease of software customisation (I will be using a 2017 MBP and I have mediocre technical skills).
Overall general thoughts about the Fray AM1000

Later updates (500kms, 1000km, 1500km) will include how the bike is holding up to wear and tear after usage, although I may need some reminding

As I mentioned in earlier posts, I am a novice in his mid 50's and do not intend to hammer the bike with fast and technical abuse, but I will be riding off-road, over rough undulating terrain, and on-road, as a form of transport.

Stand by :)

Dan, what type of bike you order, fat or normal... what components spec...

ENQUIRIES
I first saw the AM1000 online on Friday evening 2nd Feb, it seemed to tick all of my boxes for my needs, but I needed to know about shipping to Spain and the duty so I sent a message to Ivy Wang just before I went to bed. I woke up Saturday morning to a response from Ivy. I found her response to be very efficient, answering all my questions clearly and precisely.
Shipping to Spain = $830 (2 shipments - battery sent separately).
With regards to duty, Ivy was a little less precise claiming that the price quoted "is the total cost to most of customers, we learnt."
Reading between the lines, I am expecting to have to pay duty when it arrives, but I will report back with details of how much.

By Saturday afternoon I was as sure as I was going to be that the AM1000 was the bike for me. I did notice that Frey have just released a 'Fat' version of the AM1000, but decided it's not for me. The reason: I intend to use this bike on the road for at least half the time. It's illegal to use the AM1000 on public roads in Spain as it's over the power and speed limits. So, the more extreme and unusual my bike looks, the more attention it will draw from the police (and thieves). and I want to blend in as much as possible.

ORDERING
All my enquiries were through Alibaba which I had not used before, but so far I'm finding it really good. The messages back and fourth are all kept in one long conversation stream with an indicator to show when your message has been read.
Ivy sent me a link to an order payment. It was very straightforward and easy to complete.

The money was sent on Saturday afternoon 3rd Feb, and Ivy responded to inform me that the bike would be shipped early in the week before the factory closed for Chinese New Year (3 weeks).

I decided to order an extra charger as it wasn't expensive and could be very useful.

I enquired about using the software on a Mac and it's not possible, only windows. I will have to install Windows (via Boot Camp) on the laptop if I want to use the software. Disappointing, but doable....or I can blag a mates Windows laptop ;).

Will update as and when.

Dan

leelorr said:

I've also been in contact with Ivy recently, and share a similar experience. I first sent an email the 15. January 2018, and got a quick reply the very next day. I follwed up with some addtional questions the 25. january 2018, as I had decided to buy the bike. I have not received a reply yet. I have sent an additional email, asking for a reply, as perhaps the previous one somehow got lost. This is from emailing sales@freyebikes.com.

DaninSpain said:
TBM said:
Daninspain

Perhaps this is the correct way to go about it?

3lobed said:
leelorr said:

I've also been in contact with Ivy recently, and share a similar experience. I first sent an email the 15. January 2018, and got a quick reply the very next day. I follwed up with some addtional questions the 25. january 2018, as I had decided to buy the bike. I have not received a reply yet. I have sent an additional email, asking for a reply, as perhaps the previous one somehow got lost. This is from emailing sales@freyebikes.com.

DaninSpain said:
TBM said:
Daninspain

Hopefully Ivy will be along soon to clarify the best way to contact her to get a quick response. Although I know after this week they will close the factory for 3 weeks for Chinese New Year, so I can imagine the pressure everybody at Frey must be under this week.

Spotty communication this time of year is very typical of Chinese manufactures. Chinese New Year is almost here and they are all scrambling to tie up all the loose ends before they leave, so you might as well wait it out. The Chinese work long hours and long weeks all year, their only respite is Chinese New Year, the whole country just about shuts down for weeks. It all part of the deal when you order direct from China. The good news is that after Chinese New Year, they will be back and they will work just as hard.

I have received a response form IVY communicating via the Alibaba "message" function. I was previously using various e-mail accounts I found on the various sites with only one reply. IVY indicated in here response to me that she had already replied to my questions. Thus the Alibaba "message" option seams to be the best option, as DaninSpain recommended.

I think Ivy is super busy. Holidays are looming and everything in China will come to a complete still stand very soon...

Hi Dan,

Good to see you here.

DaninSpain said:
3lobed said:
leelorr said:

DaninSpain said:
TBM said:
Daninspain

Hopefully Ivy will be along soon to clarify the best way to contact her to get a quick response. Although I know after this week they will close the factory for 3 weeks for Chinese New Year, so I can imagine the pressure everybody at Frey must be under this week.

I don’t know guys. Look at the change, from 2018 on left to 2017 on the right.

In the effort to get the pivot points more in line, which Frey did, they significantly reduced the lower structure where the rear shock mounts. It looked like a nice machined billet piece is now two small tabs, not bridging the motor.

A34E769B-AC75-45BB-8643-883FF5AED5C7.jpeg

Secondly, and perhaps more significantly, look at that pivot arm. It is much taller triangle, moving the fulcrum down. That looks to me like any rotation about the fulcrum will result in more translation of the top two pivots vs more rotation. Is that a good thing, and how does that compare to other designs out there? I’m not sure why they would do this change. Is there any literature out there that points to this being an improved geometry?

Back