New "TSDZ2 Torque Sensor Central Motor"

Waynemarlow said:
Has anyone managed to find a supplier of the 52V controller ( 750W ) and will it raise the cadence level by much. Interesting that Yamaha have had to up the cadence level to 120, presumably from customer requests.

Recycles e-bike sell the 52v kit so might sell the controller - it provides a 12.5% increase in cadence.

jbalat said:
Talking a closer look at this sprag clutch and o'boy what is with these tiny springs ? Half have spun around or missing.

What a hopeless design. Those silly little springs look rife for replacement with some linear springs[img=https://www.smalley.com/sites/default/files/sites/default/files/Linear-Expanders-680.jpg]linear springs[/img].

It's hard to get a good impression of size, but these guys might have a standard part that would work.

snowbiker said:
Does anybody know the reason for the following failure: tsdz2 gives boost only in the 6 km/h mode, not in a normal mode?

I'm guessing somethings is up with the torque sensor? Perhaps that wire coming off it is broken?

Number 5 in the picture in this post:
https://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=1353143#p1353143

mscoot said:
snowbiker said:
Does anybody know the reason for the following failure: tsdz2 gives boost only in the 6 km/h mode, not in a normal mode?

I'm guessing somethings is up with the torque sensor? Perhaps that wire coming off it is broken?

Number 5 in the picture in this post:
https://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=1353143#p1353143

I also thought that the torque sensor may be defective. Now I have taken apart the torque sensor.
Is it possible to test or measure the condition of the sensor?
And is it possible somehow to use the TSDZ2 without the torque sensor?

snowbiker said:
And is it possible somehow to use the TSDZ2 without the torque sensor?

TSDZ2 is not a specific model number but a motor family so it is hard to know what you have. If you happen to have the 8 wire version of the controller and VLCD5 display then you can use the throttle without the torque sensor. Recycles sells an 8 wire version of the controller for $40-45 if you need to upgrade.

Attached is a technical doc that I found to use in hooking up a cycle analyst. You may find it useful. This is a torque sensor that TongSheng sells for hub drives but is likely similar to the one in the TSDZ2.
View attachment TongSheng external crank torque sensor.pdf

Mine had that problem. Turned out that the controller in my 48V system had a high voltage limit that kept it from using my fully charged 52V battery (58 volts ) . Discharging to 55.5 volts enabled the motor to work. That luckily happens to be the charge I get from the 80% setting on my Luna Cycle charger.

Sadly Recycles are unable to supply the 58 volt controllers and I may have to look at other means. It would seem a shame to only charge the batteries to the 80% capacity but I guess it would increase the life of the battery.

I posted on ES separately enquiring about how to install a Cycle Analyst to a TSDZ2 (with 8 pin and throttle). There is a wiring diagram but it is in Chinese, otherwise Justin from Grin might be able to help me. I remember seeing a video of someone with a TSDZ2 and CA but have yet to find the link. I have searched through this thread but must've missed it as can't think of where else it would have been posted. If someone has tried this, knows the link to the video or could translate the Chinese wiring diagram then I might be able to proceed :)

extrasilver said:
extrasilver said:
i will be ordering a 52 & 48t on friday

There's not a lot of difference there. I'm running both the stock 42T and 52T and, given my rear gears, I hardly need the two. Even with the steepest hills I've had to do so far, the 52T with 28T has been low enough, and 52T with 13T (it won't stay in the 11 - going to try and change the chain out today) gets me up to over 25MPH....

as im running a single speed bike every tooth counts! right now with the stock 16/42t gearing the acceleration and hill climbing is really good but im aiming for a higher top speed and for the gearing to have longer legs.. right now it takes about 2-3 seconds to hit 35kph then myself and the motor hit our max cadence ( without looking like a wolly anway )

just to give a rough idea, if you use your bike with the gearing set to 16 & 52t how does it perform from 0 > top speed and what is the top speed you can reach? i understand there are a few a variables to play here but just so i have a very rough idea

To have good chainline on single speed setup you will have to use dished chainring. I personally couldn't find any dished chainring other than stock 42t chainring which come with the motor. Even those who sell other size chainrings for TSDZ2 on Aliexpress for around £20 actually sell standard flat 110bcd chainrings.
Anyway I think that TSDZ2 with single speed is not the best combination possible because if you want to go fast with small sprocket on the back wheel you'll have to put a lot of strain on the motor from the start.
I personally have TSDZ2 setup with 50t flat chainring:

https://www.sjscycles.co.uk/chainrings/compact-chainring-steel-110mm-bcd-5-arm-silver-50t/

And Shimano Nexus 3 speed hub with 18t 10mm offset sprocket :

http://www.forgecustomcycles.com/cu...ay-12/related_product-519.html?limitstart=168

I found this combination is the best possible for single speed bike frame

Have you guys had any experience with the new style speed sensor? I bought a 48V 750W TSDZ2 and it came with a new style of speed sensor that has a Y connection (to plug a rear light I believe).
It does not have an adjustment for bringing the sensor close to the magnet. The best I could do (see image) was about 1cm of distance between the two.
I'm waiting for my battery so I don't know yet whether this will work or not. I was wondering if any of you guys had used this type of sensor, and if by chance it's much more sensitive than the old style so the magnet does not need to be close to it...
P1040882.jpg
I haven't found an installation manual that references this style of speed sensor by the way...

That doesn't look close enough to me, at least for how I run mine, as close to touching as I'm comfortable with seems to give the best performance. I would suggest putting a shim under the sensor to get it closer, no reason it won't stay there if you use the right shim stock.

AWD said:
That doesn't look close enough to me, at least for how I run mine, as close to touching as I'm comfortable with seems to give the best performance. I would suggest putting a shim under the sensor to get it closer, no reason it won't stay there if you use the right shim stock.
Do you also have the new style sensor that does not have the adjustment?

Hi All,

I bought the 48V 500W unit last year and am just getting round to start putting it on the bike. It seems to me the battery wires are much to thin to carry 15Amps. My battery pack came with 12AWG wires and these look more like 20AWG! Has anyone had any problems with these thin wires. If not why are the battery pack wires so much bigger,

Thanks in advance.

jeanl said:
Have you guys had any experience with the new style speed sensor? I bought a 48V 750W TSDZ2 and it came with a new style of speed sensor that has a Y connection (to plug a rear light I believe).
It does not have an adjustment for bringing the sensor close to the magnet. The best I could do (see image) was about 1cm of distance between the two.
I'm waiting for my battery so I don't know yet whether this will work or not. I was wondering if any of you guys had used this type of sensor, and if by chance it's much more sensitive than the old style so the magnet does not need to be close to it...
P1040882.jpg
I haven't found an installation manual that references this style of speed sensor by the way...
I think you'll be fine, have both the 52v and 48v system installed on different bikes and the 48v has a much closer fit but also gives me more problems than the 52v where the distance between is something like yours, works great.

niklas_j69 said:
I think you'll be fine, have both the 52v and 48v system installed on different bikes and the 48v has a much closer fit but also gives me more problems than the 52v where the distance between is something like yours, works great.
Awesome thanks! I'll let you guys know how it goes. Can't wait to get my batteries! :)

scottle said:
Hi All,

I bought the 48V 500W unit last year and am just getting round to start putting it on the bike. It seems to me the battery wires are much to thin to carry 15Amps. My battery pack came with 12AWG wires and these look more like 20AWG! Has anyone had any problems with these thin wires. If not why are the battery pack wires so much bigger,

Thanks in advance.

hey scottle, I had the same concerns as you when I installed my 48V 500W last year. Long story short I concluded it wasn't an issue, I did some calculations here http://www.electricscooterparts.com/wire-gauge-calculator.html.

jeanl said:
niklas_j69 said:
Awesome thanks! I'll let you guys know how it goes. Can't wait to get my batteries! :)
Got the battery, installed it, everything's working just fine with the 1cm gap between the magnet and the sensor.

jeanl said:
jeanl said:
niklas_j69 said:
Got the battery, installed it, everything's working just fine with the 1cm gap between the magnet and the sensor.

Great! Seem like 1-1.5cm distance is the sweet spot for it, have less than 0,5cm on my 48v bike and that one is very sensetive if the magnet's just a little bit out of angle.... Enjoy your ride! :)

Hi all, i'm new in this forum.
I have built a TSDZ2 to a Giant Revive 20'' semi-recumbent bike.
It was not so simple, because i needed to grind a little bit on the frame to fit it...

Now the bike is almost ready, but i have some small problems to solve:
1. I want to change the front chainring from stock 42T to 52T
2. I want to change the bulbs int the front and tail lamps.

I need some help in the second task: the bike has currently a 2.4W front, and a 0,6W tail bulb in the lamps.
The current coming from the sensor cable is not enough to drive these bulbs.
If i connect only the tail bulb, its works, but if i connect only the front, it's not.
So the current should less than 0,4 A (6V x 0.4A = 2.4W)

I tried to read the whole forum, in one post somebody wrote the current is 0.5A (it means 3W), based on this the 2,4W front lamp should have worked.

So anybody knows the max current of the 6V lamp output?
I'd like to buy LED bulbs instead of the current halogen bulbs, so i should know how much is the maximum watt of the bulbs.

Thanks

mentat said:
I'd like to buy LED bulbs instead of the current halogen bulbs, so i should know how much is the maximum watt of the bulbs.
Sorry I don't know the answer to your question, but even a 1W LED bulb will be very bright so I don't think you run any risk of overloading the power supply. You could spec your bulbs so the sum is less than what's currently working...

jeanl said:
mentat said:
Sorry I don't know the answer to your question, but even a 1W LED bulb will be very bright so I don't think you run any risk of overloading the power supply. You could spec your bulbs so the sum is less than what's currently working...

When i buy two 1W bulb, they needs 0,33A.
It's very close to the 0,4A, which is surely too much

I've got an idea, i tried to mesure it with my simple multimeter. The result is various, 0,09 to 0.35 A, with different values.
Maybe the 0.35A is the maximum? It would be nice, a little bit over 2W :)

mentat said:
I need some help in the second task: the bike has currently a 2.4W front, and a 0,6W tail bulb in the lamps.
The current coming from the sensor cable is not enough to drive these bulbs.
If i connect only the tail bulb, its works, but if i connect only the front, it's not.
So the current should less than 0,4 A (6V x 0.4A = 2.4W)

I tried to read the whole forum, in one post somebody wrote the current is 0.5A (it means 3W), based on this the 2,4W front lamp should have worked.

Thanks

Having a 2.4W and a .6W taillamp sounds to me like a dynamo-hub setup. They work on AC, and I'm not sure they will work properly on a DC setup.

You can either buy the proper DC-bike lights or just use a dynamo front hub. Coupled with some good quality lights a dynamo hub (especially on a 20" wheel) is a a pretty simple and bombproof setup compared to trying to wiring it into your e-bike battery.

On the other hand, AXA, Büsch & Muller and other proper bike light manufacturers usually have a DC version of they're top end dynamo lights. Steer clear of cheap lights trying to impress you with lots of lumens. Lumen doesn't mean a thing unless you know what the beam looks like. Illuminance (lumens per square meter) is a much better measurement. The top of the line DC bike lights should give you in excess of 100 lux. My mediocre front light connected to a dynamo hub is rated to 40 lux and lights up the road nicely (but could have had a little wider beam for riding in the forest) with a clear cut-off at the top so as to not dazzle oncoming traffic. In comparison the german StVO legislation on bike lights requires a minimum of 10 lux (afaik).

jeanl said:
These new speed sensors are very sensitive. Set them up at the old style 5mm distance and there is so much noise that it registers a speed up to its absolute maximum of 100 kmph.

I just came across this quite recently; I’ve set up several with the new sensor without even thinking about the distance. This last one was set with well over 10mm separation.

I think you’ll be fine.

James Broadhurst said:
jeanl said:
These new speed sensors are very sensitive. Set them up at the old style 5mm distance and there is so much noise that it registers a speed up to its absolute maximum of 100 kmph.

I just came across this quite recently; I’ve set up several with the new sensor without even thinking about the distance. This last one was set with well over 10mm separation.

I think you’ll be fine.
I'm fine indeed. 1.0cm works quite well. I haven't tried any further, but I suppose the reason they're no adjustable like the old ones is because they're quite sensitive and don't need to be close to the magnet...

Back