izip my1018z motor question

roadstar

1 mW
Hi,

just picked up a izip motor from ebay. It runs ok when connected to a battery and controller.

I noticed when I turn the motor cog by hand (not connected to a battery) it makes no noise clockwise but counter clockwise it sounds like I'm winding a clock.

I've got a second spare motor and this does not happen on that motor when I turn it by hand counter clockwise.

Both motors run fine when connected to a controller and both look the same physically. I just wondered why one make that noise?

Is there a gear, if so do you suppose there's a freewheel?

It's really hard to just answer a question like that without seeing, handling, hearing. There's one typical guess for me to make.

Hi,

the motors a geared motor it's a unite my1018z or variant.

Regards

Hi Roadstar, I don't have personal experience with that particular motor, but I have noticed with other brushed motors in the past that sometimes the brushes make a noise when the commutator is turned in one direction but not the other.
Is the motor that makes the noise new or used?
Hard to judge without having the motor in my own hands... when you turn the output sprocket, does the noise happen a few times each revolution of the sprocket, once per revolution, or a lot faster than that?

Hi Drum,

the motor looks new but I think it has been used. The ticking is continuous as you turn the output sprocket. Like turning the key in a clock. The noise is only heard counter clockwise which is opposite to how the motor runs when it was on a bike (I think)

Back