BOSS LEVEL CUSTOM SPOT WELDER

They look perfect to me. Did you test those times? If they are good it is perfect. The cooling mod is recommended or a must depending on the behaviour of your machine, weather.... if you can't go any further than 50 welds you should do it. It is very easy and cheap to do. I never have to stop since I did it. My machine is always under 50°

Just received my welder. Looks very nice. No I'm gonna order battery from Hobbyking. Should I go for 60C or would 40C suffice? For capacity: How many welds approx on nickle strips will I get from a 4000mAh battery per charge?

If the price difference is not too big I'd go for the 60c
With 4000 mah you can probably make a 10s 6p with one charge. I don't pay attention to that and Refuel the lipos as many times as needed.

bardbe said:
Just received my welder. Looks very nice. No I'm gonna order battery from Hobbyking. Should I go for 60C or would 40C suffice? For capacity: How many welds approx on nickle strips will I get from a 4000mAh battery per charge?
after the experience i made (read up some posts above), i'd get the biggest, highest C-rated battery you want to afford. it's better that way, than buying a new one in case you find out it's not working correctly.
i have the 20c 15.000mAh now and it works great - this would match the 4000mAh 60C type somehow regarding max current output.

"i think i will do some kind of cooling mod as well. i can't make more than 50 welds before it hits it's shut off temperature. and regular cooling takes more time than i need to cut the next nickle strip in shape."

In the picture if those are your probe cables they look like "audio type copper clad" wires, I had similar and they didnt transmit the full amperage to the tabs. To compensate you have to increase the power of the welder which is making it overheat and probably making the wires hot.
Using the 6 gauge pure copper welding cables for the probes will let you reduce the power output and probably you wont need a cooling fan. Since switching to pure copper wire I can work nonstop, no fan required, wires barely get warm. i was able to do an 80 cell pack in one sitting, and could have kept going if I needed to.
I read a comment that thicker gauge wire on the probes will damage the fets, if anything it might be beneficial since you will be using lower power rating to get the same results. With high amps, thicker gauge pure copper wire is always better, only drawback is that its more expensive going that way.

The spot welder isn't working well with the .2mm nickel strips I bought. At 11ms x2 it makes an okay weld to the batteries, but not great, and it never successfully makes a good weld between strips(one on top of the other). I'm using the 3s 5ah 40-50c lipo that was recommended on aulakiria's site. The strip I bought(https://www.aliexpress.com/item/Pure-Nickel-Strip-for-Scientific-research-18650-battery-welding-Size-0-2-10mm/32739057558.html) doesn't corrode with the salt-water or salt-vinegar tests. It is significantly thicker and stiffer than the .1 strips(tested pure too) that came with the welder. I have a few questions:

• How do I get to making good welds? I do press hard on the tip and make sure the strips are clean.
  • I'm able to sandwich the .1mm strip in between the .2mm strips and make good strong welds between all the strips. Is this a viable solution? or will this still not handle high(60+amp) current?
  • Since my test above worked, I'm wondering if I can weld a .1 strip to the battery first and then successfully weld a .1 copper strip on top of that? Will that work well? Rojitor, can you test that?

strange. the battery you're using seems fine. 5000mAh and 50C is a lot. did you solder the XT90 connector directly to the battery? or do you have any adapter in between? any long wires?
0.1mm strips are very easy to weld. i use 0.15 with 5ms as posted in earlier threads and with the correct battery it works perfectly well.

The .1mm strips weld no problem at 2ms x1. It's the .2mm strips that aren't welding well. There aren't any wires in between and the pack comes with an XT90, so it's all plug n play

Joku said:
The .1mm strips weld no problem at 2ms x1. It's the .2mm strips that aren't welding well. There aren't any wires in between and the pack comes with an XT90, so it's all plug n play
ah ok. wasn't clear before the edit. can't say anything about 0.2mm. no experience. sorry.

It is weird. 0.2 nickel is Nothing for this welder. Mine melts nickel above 10ms usually 7ms is enough.
Can you post a pic of your setup?
Can you try another lipo?
Try to set the multistage multiplier X2
If you can weld 0.1 you can add more layers yet you must be able to weld 0.2 and beyond.
Others had the same problem before and it was due to low amperage delivery because of thin wire adaptors, bad lipos etc..

Sorry to change the subject but does anyone know where I can get pure nickel 0.15 x 70mm or wider at whatever length.
I have purchased some but not sure if it will be dodgy and don't want to another month once I get it if it is :?

Joku I checked that link and it was for 0.3 nickel are you sure it's 0.2 . Just sayin but I'm sure you have it right.

11spokes said:
Sorry to change the subject but does anyone know where I can get pure nickel 0.15 x 70mm or wider at whatever length.
I have purchased some but not sure if it will be dodgy and don't want to another month once I get it if it is :?

Joku I checked that link and it was for 0.3 nickel are you sure it's 0.2 . Just sayin but I'm sure you have it right.

I bought the .2mm. I posted the wrong link. Correcting now...

I made a video to show my setup and ask a few questions. Ignore my struggles with soldering at the end. @3:30 I try to weld two .2 strips together https://youtu.be/yhZmQVN25b8
rojitor said:
It is weird. 0.2 nickel is Nothing for this welder. Mine melts nickel above 10ms usually 7ms is enough.
Can you post a pic of your setup?
Can you try another lipo?
Try to set the multistage multiplier X2
If you can weld 0.1 you can add more layers yet you must be able to weld 0.2 and beyond.
Others had the same problem before and it was due to low amperage delivery because of thin wire adaptors, bad lipos etc..

I watched your video. Your pen seems to have the points a little too separated.Try to get them any closer with some pliers. Are they clean? i rub them with sandpaper often. It improves the welds. The rest of the setup seems perfectly fine. You need to make more than just one weld to make they firm nevertheless i think you are having a low performance. I burn 0.2 nickel with 11ms X1 as seen on my test video. You are using 11ms X2. If that nickel is really 0.2 that's weird. I think you should contact Aulakiria and show him the video. He will not understand it. He does not speak english so you better give him the link and write the questions.
You can weld several layers of nickel yes. No problem with that. And also you can solder copper on it. Braids are way easier to solder than that wire. Was it insulated,coated or something? that little bastard was not cooperating with you at all. For parallel that 0.1 is fine, no need to beef them up. For series you really need several layers or copper on it.
Is the xt90 of the lipo brick properly soldered? are you getting the same performance on automatic mode? Others had low performance because of amps loss somewhere. They corrected it and now they make perfect welds. I see no clear reason at first sight on your setup for that performance. Please write to the creator and try the things i told you.

Thanks for helping! I sanded and tried to get the probes closer together, but the situation didn't improve. It seems the welds are much better when done on an actual cell! I'm not sure why it doesn't work well when not in a cell and just on my mat, but I'm happy with the results now :)

I ordered one, ordered Mica Tolls book, going to keep reading for a while, practice some welds on some junk laptop cells and then order some LG MJ1's and see if I can put something together.

Nice choice. Everybody says mica's book is very good. This is also the right forum. The sphere rocks da house.

rojitor said:
Nice choice. Everybody says mica's book is very good. This is also the right forum. The sphere rocks da house.

Can you recommend a source of nickel strip that would be good for me to start with?

rojitor said:

Thanks, went ahead and ordered a roll of that stuff, I am going to try to find some decent 36v BMS, thinking of ordering 4 instead of 1 to save on shipping, I think I would like to try building a 10s6p battery since I can use a couple of those.

I was suprised to see the unit arrive today, amazingly quick delivery from Korea. Now I need to order a battery.
r=HWM946oo.JPG

Yes. The korean post office is very efficient. Buy a good lipo. I recommend you hk nanotech or graphene.
Aim for 5000 mah and 40c +

rojitor said:
Yes. The korean post office is very efficient. Buy a good lipo. I recommend you hk nanotech or graphene.
Aim for 5000 mah and 40c +

I ordered a couple batteries and a charger since I have no Lipo charger, hoping they will be sufficient to get me started:

TURNIGY GRAPHENE 4000MAH 3S 65C LIPO PACK W/XT90

TURNIGY HEAVY DUTY 4000MAH 3S 60C LIPO PACK W/XT-90

TURNIGY P606 LIPOLY/LIFE AC/DC CHARGER (US PLUG)

Back